Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
Help for account, billing & more
journalynn's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Oct 30, 2016 2:02 AM

How to pay ETF before I receive the final bill & unlock phone

So today was the big day I switched from ATT to Sprint. Not because we were unhappy with ATT, but because we need a plan ATT doesn't offer. My iPhone was still under contract at ATT (my husband's was not), so I knew we'd have to pay a $155 early termination fee (ETF). However, ATT customer service had told me that, as soon as I paid that fee, we could get the phone unlocked. But they also told me that I can't pay the fee, I have to wait for a bill to come through the mail 30 days from now?

I was told that we would have to wait until the end of the month, because:

• ATT won't unlock until I cancel.
  • Cancelling early requires me to pay the ETF fee
  • I can't pay the ETF fee over the phone or in person at a store.
  • I must wait until ATT bills me the ETF fee via snail mail, and no one can take my payment over the phone to expedite this process.
  • ATT can't bill me for the ETF fee until the end of the current billing period.
  • And only then can I request to get my phone unlocked.

So my iPhone is a brick for a month, while ATT trundles through its monthly billing cycle that I can't break into. Please take my money. Please unlock my iPhone. Please.

ACE - Sage

• 

96.3K Messages

6年前

What ATT tells you, and what really happens are not the same thing, so I'm glad you asked here.

Our experience is ATT does not unlock phones until your final bill (and ETF)  is paid.  We recommend you port at the end of your bill period to Cricket, which you can use with a locked ATT phone.  This will give you a month to process payment on the final bill and unlock the phone.  

Then you can move on.

No carrier except Google Fi prorates final bills, so plan accordingly.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6年前

The end of my billing period is not until 11/22, what options do I have between now and then? Is there no way to pay the ETF before I get that bill in the mail? It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that no one will take my money.

Batman1102

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

6年前

Hello, this is the best solution. At&t can accelerate your ETF at anytime, that way you can make a payment for the ETF amount. at that point you can submit a device unlock request at att.com/deviceunlock. Then you may do what you please with the device. 😃

ACE - Sage

• 

96.3K Messages

6年前

@journalynn  You could change your bill date, request the earliest possible, cut your data plan to fit.   That way you lose less money.  You can leave anytime, you just need to know they don't prorate.

As I wrote, our experience for customers leaving ATT, is they will not unlock until final bill is processed and paid. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.