For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
B

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, May 18th, 2021 8:32 PM

How can I dispute a wireless plan on a tablet that does not have that capability?

When I upgraded my phone back in 2015, AT&T gave me a tablet and said it required a data plan for two years but the tablet was free and the data plan was. I just cancelled the service last month April of 2021. I found out that it can not utilize a data plan that they said was required. I have a Samsung SM-T530NU. I have been charged around 23.00 per month for the last 5 years, so around $1300.00 for a plan on a tablet that they gave me, that does not have the capabilities to have a phone number and yet they gave me the plan a phone number. They have made a lot of money on this scam!! I started out at $10.00 a month and jumped to $20.00. They said they could only reimburse me for the last 3 months.

916.513.1006  $10.00 $3.49 - $13.49

916.513.1006  $20.00 $3.49 - $23.49

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

If they sent you a WiFi only tablet back in 2015, I’d say that’s something that should have been caught and corrected 6 years ago. How do you not realize you are paying for a data plan on a tablet that can’t use cellular data for 6 years? I find that hard to believe. ATT doesn’t even sell WiFi only tablets. In any event, you should file an FCC complaint.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

3 years ago

AT&T does not sell Wi-Fi only tablets. If AT&T sent you home with a tablet, that it had cellular capability.  
I don’t believe any carrier cells a tablet which I cannot attach to a service plan.   
This is your tablet:

https://www.att.com/tablets/samsung/REDIR-galaxy-tab-4.html

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

3 years ago

The link is to a discontinued item, it’s not working on all of my devices so here are the screenshots. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

🤦‍♂️6 years?

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

It is a Samsung SM-T530NU. WiFi Only!!

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

Then you got it from a third party sales. AT&T does not sell Wi-Fi only tablets. Never has never will 

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I got the tablet from a promotion that AT&T was running. They must have known that they got in a group of tablets that did not support 4G LTE and decided to give them away as a promotion. And to recoupe their costs, they made you sign a two year agreement at $10.00 per month. AT&T should have record of the serial number of the Tablet. If you look up the serial number it does not have 4G LTE. I am sure there are other out there that ended up with the same kind of tablets. I received mine in the Sacramento, CA area. Elk Grove to be exact.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

3 years ago

it can not utilize a data plan that they said was required. 

that does not have the capabilities to have a phone number and yet they gave me the plan a phone number.

Which is it? Those are two different things. All lines on an account have a phone number attached; that's how the line is identified. Unless it's a phone, though, you can't make/receive phone calls or text messages. 

A data plan is completely different and can be used to access the internet when away from WiFi. 

If you only ever used it while WiFi was available, why did you keep the data plan so long?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

@MicCheck Not sure why you say they are different things. You even said it yourself, all lines get a phone number even if it’s a data only line. The issue is the tablet is apparently WiFi only. It is obviously wrong to charge for a data plan for a WiFi only tablet but that should have been caught back in 2015. This whole complaint is baffling to me.

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

If you do not know the answer, please do not comment. MicCheck is the only one that knows what they are talking about. It does not have 4G LTE capabilities. I did not catch it sooner because I knew nothing about computers. I was in the learning process. Don't judge so quickly. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.