Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
Girlmom32148's profile

1 Message

Sunday, January 14th, 2024 2:59 AM

How can att take my elderly mothers money without consent or authorization

My mom canceled her phone bill because we took her on me and my husband's phone plan, because she couldn't afford it. We set up a payment plan to take care of the reaming balanced owed. How can they just take the full remaining balance out of her checking account and over draft her account? There was no verbal or written authorization. If this isn't resolved my husband and I will cancel our plan with att also and go else where.  She has never done auto bill only paid her owed bill online. Please help me resolve this.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

4 months ago

The AT&T computer system doesn't know how old your mother is.  So let's not be over dramatic. The only thing they can be sure of is she had to be over 18 to have her own account.  

The auto pay system is run by computer and if she had previously set up auto-pay on her account to pay her bill it would have withdrawn money as it should 

If she did not turn off auto-pay on her account before you assumed her number, then everything worked exactly as it should have.

There was no additional authorization needed to pay off whatever was owed on her account.   No service provider or vendor just magically has the ability to withdraw money. It had to have been pre-authorized.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

4 months ago

Were payment arrangements made online and before the payment was due?

File a complaint with the BBB.  Those are handled by the executive staff.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

4 months ago

I was not aware of a canceled account being eligible for a payment arrangement. If the arrangement was made first and then account canceled, that may have removed the arrangement.

However, unless it went outstanding, perhaps she still had autopay set on the account.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

4 months ago

Your mother also would have signed an agreement regarding any phones or devices that she owned and purchased from AT&T that if she canceled service those amounts would be due and payable on the next bill. Apparently this bill

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1008472/

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.