For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
cassidyrae07's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, February 23rd, 2015 9:40 AM

How am I using so much data?

I was with Alltel for a year has 2 gigs of data that entire two years rarely went over and now I have AT&T and my plan has 3 gigs and I go over every single month by at least 2 gigs and I don't get how this is happening cause it's making me extremely mad.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

Without know how you use your device, we can't offer much assistance. Do you use it as a hotspot? Surf the net daily? Watch videos or Youtube?

Start by going into app manager and turning off automatic updates OTA. That way, they will only occur when connected to wifi (do you have wifi at home?).

Tell us how you use your device and we can offer other suggestions.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I use my phone everyday but I'm home a majority of the time and I have wifi I'm not 20 so I'm on Facebook, Twitter.. Ect but I don't want videos or anything unless I'm home and I have music but it's all downloaded to play while I'm offline and to ensure that I turned off the use cellular data while i listen to it.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I am 20 and I don't watch videos unless I'm bk

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @cassidyrae07

I’d be happy to help with your data usage! The most effective way to find the cause of this is going to be installing a data monitoring app. I would recommend using an app called Onavo Count which will show you exactly how much data is being used, and what is using it. Using this information, we can then quickly find the cause and take action to reduce or prevent it.

I hope this helps!

Charise

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

@cassidyrae07

what phone do you have?
Is it connecting to your wifi at home? Test it by turning off cellular data and see if your internet is still usable.

Have you gone to your settings, cellular data to see what app is using mobile data? Applications are listed in decending order of usage.

You can change settings on your phone to restrict some apps to wifi only.
Social media apps and email must be restricted within the app itself.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Hello,

we have had a problem and I'm not sure how many other people may have had the same issue without knowing. Our  data did not reset on our next billing cycle, so we were charged over $100 in overages. we called repeatedly had numerous cases open and had  it escalated  to the next level and the level  and the  next. We still dont know why it happened or how. the cases were closed and we were told today that we were expecdted to pay the whole amount of overages. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

@carrie35

What does your account say was used by each phone?
Does each phone on your account have the same data usage amount as AT&T?
Is one phone using most of the data?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

The iPhone 6 and it's always connected when I get home on to my Wi-Fi and I'm the only one on my phone plan so I'm the only one who's using data on it saying I'm going to five gigs or more a month and I don't understand

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

@cassidyrae07

The iPhone seems to be a common offender. If you check any carrier's forum you can see "massive data overage" complaints all related to the iPhone.

There is an escalating set of steps to remedy this, starting with just resetting network settings and the extreme is to make an appointment with Apple Genius Bar, knowing they may replace your phone.

Reset network settings. You will have to add wifi back to the phone.
Can you turn cellular data off and get on the Internet with wifi only? How well is the phone working on wifi?

Under cellular data, go through the list of apps and turn off anything that you want restricted to wifi. Email and social media apps have settings with in the app to restrict video and pictures to wifi.

Clear the outbox in your email.

Close apps by double clicking home button and swipe up on all apps.

Do a hard reboot. Hold power and home button until the phone cycles off, then on, then release buttons.
Track to see if data usage changes.

Getting more drastic...next is to reset all settings and content and restore the phone as new.

If none of this leads to a drop in data use, make the appointment with Apple. (Backup before you go)

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

@lizdanve40
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.