For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
A

• 

1 Message

Friday, January 17th, 2020 9:20 PM

Horrendous customer service, and lying customer reps

So I went to the UK for 2 weeks recently, and on December 26 I called AT&T to see if I can have a ONE DAY activation for international calling/text. The rep said “Sure! No problem”. I asked this person specifically if I needed to cancel the plan manually once the day was over, with which he replied “No! It will cancel at the end of the day!”. Awesome, so I went about my day.

My bill has come up now, and I see that I’m being charged FROM 12/26 - 1/2, FOR A TOTAL OF $80. I called AT&T to tell them there was an error, and a rep that I was hardly able to understand told me that the rep I had initially spoken to gave me the wrong information, and that there was nothing he could do. I was like “WHAT?? It’s not MY fault that one of your reps gave me bogus information, what the (Edited per community guidelines)?” I asked to speak to a manager, and she told me the same junk. Apparently the international “DAY” plans get charged EVERY day you’re in a foreign country up until the day you get back! I was never told this, but they basically called me a liar. The manager, at this point not wanting to deal with me anymore, transferred me to “AT&T loyalty”. I got the same trash customer service. No one cared that I was signed up with wireless, internet, and cable and was a faithful, loyal customer for years. No one cared that I had been lied to (or even believed it).

On top of all that, MY WIRELESS WASN’T EVEN WORKING AFTER THE 26th!!! I told them this, that despite being charged fraudulently for something that wasn’t properly explained, I ALSO WASN’T EVEN RECEIVING THE SERVICE I WAS FRADULENTLY BEING CHARGED! I NEVER had service after the 26th, I ALWAYS had to be connected to Wi-Fi

Absolutely disgusting company. I’ve been a customer for years, I have everything with AT&T, but they turn around and call me a liar?? Trash. Absolute trash company.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

4 years ago

Apparently you do not understand what the international plans do, or how to control your phone. It is entirely up to you to control your phone while you are in a foreign country. Had you not had day pass, which limits your charges to only $10 per day plus taxes, your charges could have been much much higher.

Since day pass only charges you when you use service, you did indeed use service for a full 8 days.

If you insist on having the $10 per day charge removed for the other 7 days you will then be subject to pay-per-use charges which are $3 per minute for calls 50 Cent for each text, but the real damage comes from data. At $2.05 per megabyte, it's extremely easy to run up hundreds or even thousands of dollars just by letting data run in the background on your phone.

I would recommend you check your bill and see how much data you actually used while you were in the UK. A mere 34 mbs is $70.

In the future to avoid charges you must disable your phone by turning on airplane mode. FYI this is true for other carriers as your phone will connect on its own unless you disable its ability to do so.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

4 years ago

International plan options

International Day Pass

Day pass travel tips

How it works

While abroad, if you use data, send a text, make or accept a call, or listen to a voicemail, you will be charged $10 to use your domestic plan for the next 24 hours. During that period you can:

• Use your domestic data plan to email, post on social media, use maps, convert currency, translate languages, book excursions, use mobile tickets and more.

• Make unlimited calls back to the U.S., to the country you're in and to other countries included in International Day Pass. • Send unlimited texts to the world. Texts received are rated as domestic and do not trigger a daily fee.

How to help manage costs

• When you don't plan to use your phone, turn off Data Roaming in your device settings to avoid being charged for unintentional data usage.

• Save data by connecting to Wi-Fi, especially to download or send large files, and when streaming video.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.