Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
katina128's profile
katina128
#1 Star!
10th stratosphere!
Mission control approves!

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Wed, Sep 17, 2014 9:21 PM

Help me decide: Next or 2 yr contract

I am long due for an upgrade, and finally want to get one now that the 6 is coming out. Currently, we have a family plan, 3 of us, 10 gigs of data, 2 5c's and my 4s. I'm currently getting a 25.00 discount on mobile value share PLUS a 25% corporate discount. So, all in all, my bill runs around 170 a month for the 3 lines. If I do a new contract for myself, I was told that I'd lose that 25.00 a month discount, plus I'd be out of pocket the 199.99 for the phone plus the 40.00 activation fee. If I do Next, it's 27.09 a month and I'd do the 24 months plan so I can keep the phone for 2 years. I never upgrade early, as you can tell by me still having my old 4s. LOL Which do you guys feel is the better deal?

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

7 y ago

Next is the better value. Over the 24 months you will pay $650 for the phone.
If you get the 2 year contract, it costs you $199 + $40 + $25 per month for 24 months (loss of discount), a total of $839.00

katina128

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

7 y ago

Will I still get my corporate discount on the Next billing?

cviller

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

7 y ago

It seems that you would keep your discount on your service but not on the cost of the phone. I would ask a sales rep to know for sure.

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 6.07.47 PM.png

Employee

• 

16 Messages

7 y ago

That's correct cviller.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 y ago

Don't get next and don't upgrade.  Anything on the internet will tell you that next is a scam to squeeze more money from you.  Now, and you may not be aware of this, att will charge you an extra $15 a month in data if you do a regular upgrade to force you onto next.  If next is such a great deal, why would they bother with that?

My reccomendation: get a different carrier.  

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 y ago

I just got off of a 2 hour phone conversation / web chat conversation with att reps about this. This is AWFUL and sneaky of ATT.  When I upgraded last week, I was not advised that they would be adding an additional 40.00 to my account unless I switched over to next, at which point they would add an additional 40.00 to my account for 24 months for the monthly cost of the phone.   I'm pretty upset about this.  So basically NEXT is a ripoff and not next is a ripoff. ATT should be more up front about this during the upgrade process.   You would be better off going to T Mobile and purchasing the phone outright.  

I just cant believe they think it is good customer service to gouge folks who are eligible for an upgrade to essentially force them into the next plan.  

katina128

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

7 y ago

I don't want a different carrier. This is my husband's corporate acct, so we get the corp. discount, and he doesn't have a choice in carriers. This is who Northrop Grumman uses. End of story. However, I don't have to upgrade right now. My 4s still works, so it's not a rush for me. I wasn't told during chat the other day when I did a chat with an ATT rep that they would add an extra 15.00 a month in data fees. She said my bill would still run the same that it has been if I switch to Next, other than the cost of the phone for 27.09.

cviller

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

7 y ago

If you are planning to upgrade to the iPhone 6 now is a good time to use the next option. If you use Next 12 you will end up with 20 payments to pay off the phone but after 12 payments you can trade in the phone and upgrade. This means that in one year when the new iphone comes out you will have the option to upgrade. You never know, you may want to upgrade by then and this way you will have the option. Either way the next plan is a good option. In the end you pay a bit more to do a 2 year contract.

katina128

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

7 y ago

I chatted with another rep tonight. I've been paying 40.00 a month each for our 3 phones, with a 25.00 discount for one of the lines. I would keep that with Next, but not with a contract, so those of us who were already paying the 40.00 a month will not notice a change. It's only those of you who were paying 15 a month who will be increased to 40 with a contract instead of Next. All in all, Next seems like the way to go, for me at least.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.