For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
KimRN143's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, August 10th, 2018 4:51 PM

Help International Data Overage Charges over $1000

I am single mom, my son went on cruise in US and Canada.  I was told after data use to add Cruise Unlimited to take care of the charges and he could use rest of the trip. They didn’t tell me Unlimited = 200 MG of data. After $1000 overages called back and informed of the data limit and they were going to reduce charges to $200. They couldn’t do it until bill dropped so had to call back. 

Guess what I did and after one month of calling and spending over 8+ hours on the phone with 5-8 transfers and no return calls and being unable to speak to the same person all they say is charges valid and there is nothing they can do because they notified me. THATS NOT THE POINT! calls are monitored for quality Assurance so why can’t anyone investigate the phone call where they were going to adjust it to $200.  I can’t afford a $1600 phone bill and now will have service turned off and encure more charges because I can’t pay my bill.  

I have been a customer since the bag phone!  I just want someone to explain why you lie to customers to get them off the phone and let someone else tell us you won’t do what you promised!

is there a lawyer out there or someone to help me!

i have everything documented.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Cruise ship data is very expensive with or without a plan but without a plan, the charge is $6 per MB. That 200 MB of data the plan paid for would have cost $1200. Your son obviously used much more than that 200 MB. The rate for overages with that plan is $2 per MB. A $1000 in overages equates to 500 MB of data. Had you not had that plan, that would be another $3000 in charges. That plan saved you at least $3200 in charges. Yes, it is unfortunate that someone said they would adjust the charges and now they won’t but perhaps you should consider yourself fortunate not to have $4200 in data charges, especially since the data was used before you even called. 

Scholar

• 

101 Messages

6 years ago

This is primarily a peer-to-peer forum.  While AT&T does have employees here that do help, they don't always monitor the forums.

If you feel calling and speaking to a rep over the phone hasn't helped, then you could always try filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, FCC, and/or FTC.

As far as what we can say about the international charges; if AT&T has already paid the other service provider(s) in Canada, there is a slim-to-none chance that you're going to receive any sort of compensation and thus you would either need to pay the bill or face having your services disconnected.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. So will ATT allow me to make payments for a
while to satisfy the bill? I can barely pay the bills as it is let alone a
bill that’s about 10x what I normally pay?
S##- Please type your reply above this line -

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

No such thing as Cruise “unlimited”.   Looking at the plan that was added to his line might have been a good idea as you would have known it’s limits.  Planning ahead to see if he needed a roaming plan before he traveled even better.  

Charges are from Cellular at Sea, satellite phone service. Not ATT or Canadian carriers.  

You can file a complaint.  ATT may respond with its roaming policy charges.  

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

This message is a response to Sandblaster.  Under Sandblaster's theory, ATT had already incurred international charges from associated international carriers when this particular ATT customer contacted ATT to set up an international calling & data plan.  From there, Sandblaster opines that the ATT customer was fortunate that they didn't have to pay the full rate, since the charges were already incurred.  Sandblaster's reasoning is internally flawed.  If ATT had incurred charges from other international carriers at the 'full rate,' ATT could not then discount its charges after the fact when the customer belatedly added an ATT International Plan.  Obviously, the rate charged to ATT by its international counterparts was NOT the 'full rate' passed through to the customer before the customer added the ATT International Plan.  Accordingly... there is no basis for Sandblaster to proclaim that the reduced international plan invoice of $1,000 is impossible for ATT to negotiate or lower further.  It should be obvious to even the casual reader that Sandblaster has no knowledge of the actual costs of the call, including charges between carriers.  Without knowing the actual underlying costs incurred by ATT, there is no way for Sandblaster to know what amount, if any, ATT can further reduce the charges.     

Forum answers like Sandblaster's have the look and feel of something from the corporate PR office.  They are NOT helpful.  Telling a customer how lucky they are to be working with a carrier that charges them four figures without warning is bad business.  So a message to Sandblaster -- and to everyone else who masquerades as a normal ATT customer 'trying to help' other customers: knock it off.  Real people have real questions and deserve real service.  And a message to ATT: Your PR department isn't helping.  They can misspell as many words as they like, and make claims to being regular Joe's, but the normal consumer can still detect them from a mile away.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@ActualConsumer I am a customer and my answers are honest. You don’t have to agree with them or like them but do not tell me to “knock it off”. I stand by my post. Your reading comprehension is not very good either. You attribute to me statements I never made. I said nothing about ATT having incurred charges, that was someone else. I only compared what the charges would have been had the OP not had the cruise ship plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@ActualConsumer wrote:

Under @sandblaster's theory, ATT had already incurred international charges from associated international carriers when this particular ATT customer contacted ATT to set up an international calling & data plan.  From there, Sandblaster opines that the ATT customer was fortunate that they didn't have to pay the full rate, since the charges were already incurred.  Sandblaster's reasoning is internally flawed.  

Firstly, it's unfortunate that the original poster of this thread never read what the plan actually includes https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-packages.html it would have prevented much of this mess, correct?

It's not their theory, the customer's charges were already incurred with AT&T (see post #1), I'm not under the impression anyone here knows what the other international carriers actually charge AT&T. 

It's not sandblaster who's reasoning is flawed, as that's NOT what sandblaster said; they said nothing about the charges being higher FROM the international partners.

You're also using wording like: passed through, full rate and impossible (not sandblaster) but then you are arguing about them saying those things (nor did they say that AT&T couldn't reduce the charges farther).

More importantly, I don't hear you saying AT&T charged the incorrect amount in this process, AT&T reduced the customer's charges significantly.

Maybe I'm wrong and AT&T pays for plans to the foreign carriers when people get a passport or day pass and they can backdate it (but I doubt that's the way it works). If I'm wrong, please post a link to indicate such a process, I'm always looking to expand my knowledge.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@ActualConsumer

We aren’t employees.  You can tell as there is no platitudes, no one gets paid to put sugar on it.  

Fact is, everyone is responsible for the charges they run up on their phone. Whether it’s calling long distance or roaming charges.   @sandblaster Laid out the facts as published on the website for anyone to read.  Those who stumble through life without knowing there are consequences to their actions are always going to be hard-done-by when it’s their own fault.  

And if you want ATT to care of your roaming charges, may I suggest you drop off your phone at a company store before you get on a plane, they can baby-sit it till you return.  

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Wow. That’s a pretty harsh response.

Your angry response — less than a day after my post — is proof that these chat sites are monitored by ATT. What a lousy way for a giant company to handle its customers...

Sorry to say, but nobody other than a PR department employee at ATT would have so much anger toward another ATT customer.

For the record, I have an international plan, and I’ve never been in the predicament described above.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@ActualConsumer

Im not the angry one.  🙄.  Look inward.  

ATT does monitor and the mods and employee posts are impossible to miss as they are clearly labeled.  

I resent paying for someone else’s lack of preparation and lack of responsibility, and you know we all do if ATT waves charges they paid from another service provider.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.