Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Jun 24, 2019 2:38 AM

Group one charges

Could someone please explain what and why I have group one charges on my ATT Cell Phone bill?  My bill also has the amounts for each of my cell phones in addition to the group one charges.  

Responses

Employee

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Of course. If your bill just has group one charges, this means that you only have one group of cell phones on your bill. What I mean by this is that some people can have 2 groups of cell phones on a bill and each group can have it's own numbers. AT&T is a family-friendly oriented company so this facilitates having up to 30 lines on a bill and makes it easy to read...because the more lines you have the better the savings. Group one is the charge you pay for your plan and each device has a cost like with any other company plus the taxes and installments, of course. Thank you for inquiring and choosing AT&T.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

1 Message

@TakeOwnership so you need to have that group 1 charge even if you only have one line?  Seems like I’m being charged twice?

• 

2 Messages

@TakeOwnership Yeah, they did not explain this at no point in time. I didn’t realize this until now i finally paid our phones off and I was wondering why it’s still $200. AT&T I get the $115 +surcharges & taxes for the unlimited for two phones but why am I paying a $30 “Access fee” per phone a month for phones I’ve had for almost 2 years I’ve been a AT&T customer for a very long time but this doesn’t feel right.

• 

4 Messages

@TakeOwnership Its a hidden charge that I was never told about when I signed up. Embellish it any way you want, but it is a hidden charge that is above and beyond the cost you pay per device/line. Most people apparently accept it so the “group” charge remains.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

What does this cost pay for? On my bill each phone has individual charges from approx $22 to $57.

Employee

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Easy. Let's say you have 2 groups of cell phones on your cell phone bill, each group has a  different plan. In this case I'm understanding that you only have one group of cell phones. The group one charge is basically for the plan you have and each

phone you have has an access fee + taxes. If you're wondering about costs and checking into  great unlimited plans which have tv and include an extra discount when adding autopay and paperless billing please check out our website and search  for the Unlimited & More & Unlimited & More Premium Plans or reach us over the phone or at an AT&T store and we'll gladly provide personalized attention. Blessings. 🙂

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

4 Messages

So, you pay for individual phone access per phone, PLUS you pay an extra charge to have them placed into a group. in my case i pay for 3 separate lines, PLUS 45.00 just to have them in a group. That is a charge that they dont tell you about up front when you go into their store..

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

Group 1 charge -  why would I have to pay extra for a plan? What difference does it make if both cell phones are on the same plan.  This is just another rippoff by ATT to make more money without have to provide any additional service.  What service is provided by charging me for a "plan"  My cell phone bills are $32/mo.  and the Group 1 charge is $48/month.  Something is rotten here.  Maybe if I threaten to change providers they'll come to their senses.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42.2K Messages

2 months ago

@Nelson43 You might as well change providers, then, because ATT is not going to “come to their senses”. That is how they bill and unfortunately, many people just don’t understand their bills. You aren’t paying anything extra. You are paying the advertised price for whatever plan you have with however many lines you have. They break the bill into plan and line charges but it still adds up to the advertised price. Threatening to leave won’t change anything.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

It’s clearly a deceptive sale, and theft of 45.00 every month.. They don’t tell you there will be an additional charge on top of the service charge you already pay per device per month. — So, After you have signed to buy devices, and plans for those devices, and think you know about what you are going to pay, the bill is 45 dollars higher than the estimates. They purposely make the first two bills different than the rest so that you don’t know you’ve been ripped until 3 months in to the contract. Sounds like a c l a s s a c t i o n su i t to me! Big corporate criinals doing what they do best.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

2 months ago

@philrtt

IIt is not.  AT&T advertises prices online and those prices are exactly what you are billed.  They just happen to itemize on the bill.  You are complaining because you don't get the math, which does work out. 

Example:  Extra unlimited plan

1 line,  80+45-10-40 = $75

2 lines,  80+45+45-10-10-20 = $130

3 lines,  80+45+45+45-10-10-10-35 = $150

4 lines,  80+45+45+45+45-10-10-10-10-60 = $160

5 lines,  80+45+45+45+45+45 - 10-10-10-10-10-80 = $175.

Additional lines add $45-10 (auto pay)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

SIMPLE! 

It is and advertising SCHEME.

They sell you a plan for $35 that is good for nothing because you must PAY for Group 1 Charges (DISHONESTLY AdveRTisEd-hidden) in order to be able to use the phone.  

The "plan" under Group 1 is your little surprise after you sign the contract... how sweet... They call it "Req's ATT Unlimited Starter" it is right under the big $35 in small letters. 

What can you do now?  Not much, they fooled you like they fooled me and millions of customers.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

a month ago

At&t, Verizon, and T-Mobile all advertise 4 lines at $35 each.

That's exactly what 4 lines will be charged on the bill. 

Single lines are more. 

Each carrier has a tool to price 1, 2, 3 or 4 lines or more.  Very easy to read. 

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans/?source=EC1NvImlp0000000P&tfn=wireless&WT.srch=1&wtExtndSource=at%26t+unlimited+plan&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1272071&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjpeD0M-v6wIVNfC1Ch1eUgF2EAAYASAAEgL9QPD_BwE

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

a month ago

Or ONE LINE

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

True, $35 for 4 lines or more, however, "GROUP 1" charges continue to be hidden...😛

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

a month ago

No, the MATH is hidden in the quote, it's done out on the bill.  

So your complaint is MATH 

If the price is quoted as unlimited Elite, $85 for one line, what does it matter if they put $85 on your bill, or $45 + $40 on your bill.  It's still the same amount.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Well ATT, tell us just what extra service do I get for a $48/month Plan 1 charge (50% higher than one monthly cell phone charge)?  What extra expense are you incurring that you're trying to recover through Plan charges?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

a month ago

@Nelson43

Don't suppose you read the thread?  At&t prices are slightly less than Verizon and slightly more than T-Mobile for similar services.  The only difference between the three carriers is Verizon and T-Mobile do not price alacarte, while AT&T does. The end result is exactly as advertised and still slightly less than Verizon and slightly more than. 

Once again - Math

What plan?

How many lines? 

Did you read the online price quote?  Screen shot in the thread above for 1 or 4 lines. 

I've explained it a thousand times, one more won't kill me.  

Although it has been explained enough times with pictures, that you think people would figure the price was as quoted when you add the plan and line access together. 

(edited)

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

Lizdance40:

Is "Group 1" some sort of loop hole ATT uses... I mean what is the whole point?  Do other provider uses that sort of practice? Do you have or are willing to share the reason behind the BRILLIANT idea of dividing taxes, charges, plans, etc under name/number - So called Group????????

Get started...

Ask a new question