Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
melindagould7's profile

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 28th, 2023 7:37 PM

Fruad claim continues to be declined

I recieved a At&t bill in my name in the mail for 3 phones that were set up. I have Never opened accounts or set up phones with AT&T. I was told over the phone if i went into a store, they could verify me and give me more info on the account. the closets store is 30 min away from my home. I went in on 11/6/2023 spoke to an associate that said the account was opened over the phone, w/o proof of ID or social. I would need to fill out the fraud claim and file a police report with it, upload the documents needed. I have done this with claim# 231101-000413, referance #231106-000558, claim was denied. on 11/20/2023 I called in to fraud and he said it should not have been denied, to resubmit a new claim, he alos told me they do have my social now. (the only way they would is from me providing it on the fraud claim). I made a 2nd claim #231116-00542. I have not heard anything back and trying to see if they have updated anything, thier system is aweful, after requesting for a claim update it sends me a email that shows all thes claim number all closed, so I call back. to find out they have denied this one too. I aske to speak to managment, who claim they can not tell  me anything. This Is WRONG, UNLAWFUL, & UNETHICAL. 

I have tried many avenues to get this removed and canced and it has not worked. 3rd claim #231128-000322. Please HELP, I need this removed and resloved. I have never opend Phone lines with AT&T. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

7 months ago

Have you run your credit to see if you actually had new service set up under your social security number? Service providers do a hard credit check for new service It would show.

If no...   Then it wasn't set up under your social security number and you don't have a problem. But AT&T does because somebody ripped them off.

If yes... Then both you and AT&T are victims of fraud and you need to report this first to the police department, second to AT&T.  Which you have done already.

With that being unsuccessful you need to fill out a notice of dispute

https://www.att.com/help/notice-of-dispute/

And you can also file an FCC complaint. The FCC complaint or better Business bureau complaint, doesn't really do anything except forward the complaint back to AT&T upper Management and someone will contact you. Usually they can fix things that first line support cannot and so far that sounds like that's all you've come into contact with

The dispute form lets AT&T know that you are willing to go through small claims or arbitration. Since you have no phones and no active service with AT&T despite having services set up under your social security number, they should have been able to figure out the fraud was perpetrated against both of you by now...but, well at&t 🥴

You should also take steps to protect your credit. Dispute the item on your credit report. You'll have to Google how to do that. And freeze your credit 

2 Messages

7 months ago

Yea, a sales associate in a store said no social was used, an s it was opened over the phone with no id either. And it would not show on my credit until they have lates. This has been filed with police and AT&T and they still try to deny my fraud claim. AT&T is a joke! What they are doing is unethical, and ridiculous for them to try to say it was me and try to force me to pay them. SMH. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

7 months ago

And it would not show on my credit until they have lates

Credit checks definitely show on your credit report.

If there really is no SSN on the account, AT&T can't force you to pay. They can threaten collections, but they don't know who to report since your SSN is what ties you to your credit report.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

7 months ago

Without your social security number they're going to have a hard time sending that to collections. AT&T absolutely does a credit check for new service. All of them do

ACE - Scholar

• 

1K Messages

7 months ago

i thought that ATT now only did a soft credit check.  Which should show up on 1 of the 3 agencies if they did it.

I don't see how the credit check could have been done without your SS number.  So if they didn't have that maybe they used someone else's number?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.