Need help understanding your bill?
R

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, January 27th, 2022 5:37 AM

Closed

Front for Organized Crime

I STILL maintain these crooks are a front for organized crime. AT&T had gone out of their way to make getting a prepaid account as difficult as humanly possible.

Every time I call to change my account to something more financially reasonable I get connected to some 3rd world country on the opposite side of the planet and some person who can't speak English and who intentionally disconnects the call as soon as they realize that they're dealing with an angry and unhappy customer. The ONE time only that I reached someone who could speak English she gave me a number to call where I could supposedly change my account. But when I called that number the response I got the first 2 times from their intentionally poorly programmed answering computer was, "We're sorry we can't find an account with that number, please try again." The 3rd time I tried the response was,"We're sorry, we can't find an account with that number, goodbye." and their poorly but intentionally designed answering system disconnected the call. All of the other times I tried to get help I get connected to India or some other place where no one speaks understandable English and the unbelievably rude AT&T employees either hang up or babble on unintelligibly. Then, even though I've been flat on my back with COVID-19 for over a week, I get told I'll have to go to a so called AT&T store to change my account, that I can't do it on line or over the phone even though these greedy (Edited per community guidelines) ARE a phone company! 

These criminals are doing every thing they can to keep me from reducing my phone bill. Their insatiable greed has just about made me decide to go back to T-Mobile. Their system doesn't work 75% of the time, much like AT&T's crappy service, but at least they're nowhere near as difficult to deal with.

I also still maintain that phone companies are the biggest scam going on the planet earth!

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

You know what? I came here for support not to be harassed. So far, I've only been harassed which tells me that this is a website run and frequented by AT&T people who for their own reasons love this shill company. See ya!

ACE - Sage

• 

104.1K Messages

1 year ago

🤦🏼‍♀️

Your command of the English language seems to be more quantity than quality. Simply stating that you were trying to switch your service from post-paid to pre-paid would have gotten you a simple answer.  Venting your frustration oh, got you nowhere.  Not with AT&T or us. 

In order to switch from AT&T postpaid to AT&T prepaid you must go to a physical AT&T store because it is a migration.  This was the correct answer from those foreign call centers with the difficult to understand accents, but you didn't follow their instructions which is why you are still frustrated.  

An AT&T store will set you up with a new SIM card and migrate your number from postpaid to prepaid.  You cannot migrate to prepaid over the phone or online.  

You confused the heck out of a T & T support when you called, because you were asking for something that made no sense. 

Note:

If your number is not local to the area in which you currently live this is called a cross Market phone number and cannot be migrated between postpaid and prepaid you will have to Port your number out to Cricket.  

Porting your number to Cricket can be done by ordering a SIM card and service with your existing phone number online, from cricket.       

Cricket is At&t prepaid, but operates as an independent carrier.  Prices are about the same, but unlike AT&T postpaid and prepaid Cricket includes taxes and its stated online prices

If you really wish to have AT&T prepaid you can then pour it yourself back from cricket toward the end of your 30-days. 

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

104.1K Messages

1 year ago

@sandblaster

Funny he understood those hard to understand foreign accents enough to hear them say he had to go to a store, but then ignored the correct answer and proceeded to add to his own frustration by not following directions.

I score one for the call center, who I rarely give any credit

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

1 year ago

I tried, repeatedly for an entire day, to find someone at AT&T who would change my account to a prepaid plan and everyone I spoke to on the phone either hung up 30 seconds into the conversation or insisted that I had to go to an AT&T store.

Before spending the entire day on the phone, did you consider actually going to a store? It seems like even if they were lying about someone being able to do it on the phone, it would have been more efficient and less frustrating just to do so. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

1 year ago

In all fairness the OP stated ".....I've been flat on my back with COVID-19 for over a week..." but I can see how that statement got lost in the diatribe.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

1 year ago

I don't know where to start so I won't. I'll just sit here, drink my coffee and consider this my morning chuckle 🙄. Takes my mind off of the Cell Booster fiasco.

(edited)

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

1 year ago

Thanks for pointing that out, @skeeterintexas , I did miss that. 

Of course, with that in mind, it hardly seems like this would have been a priority. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

1 year ago

@ROC9876 

This is a public forum of other customers. We do try to give guidance and direction on many things. That is a bit difficult to do when the important information gets lost in all the hyperbole.

If changing from postpaid to prepaid is your goal, then you have been given the correct answer that this must be done in store (verify AT&T corporate/owned, not authorized retailer/3rd party). Certainly your health takes priority. So you will not be able to do this until you are well enough to do so. It would be nice if you could do it over the phone or online, but that is not how their service is designed.

I was not saying that the pandemic is the sole reason for outsourcing. Only that is a key factor they rely on it more these days. Yes any company looks for ways to save money. I respect not liking the outsourcing, but business practices you (or any of us) disagree with does not make it a "front for organized crime".

The majority of posters (like myself) are just other customers. We are not paid to share our opinions and knowledge. Those with the "employee" tag are posting on their personal time (off-the-clock), so not in an official or paid capacity but should showcase some better direct knowledge from whatever section they normally work out of.

For help and guidance (be it this situation or something else in the future), please keep it to the facts of the issue, what you have tried and results you got and what questions you have. Leave the wild accusations and hyperbole at the door so that those trying to help do not have to sort through a problematic rant. It is also suggested that if there is a lot of information to share to break it up with paragraphs, as a wall of text can be difficult to read (may even discourage legitimate help if they don't want to wade through all of that).

In any case, it seems the answer you got was correct about going to a store. It may be inconvenient at this time, but your being upset does not change the reality of the situation. Take care of your health, then when it is safe to do so, follow through with the procedures to get prepaid.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

1 year ago

ACE - Sage

• 

104.1K Messages

1 year ago

@skeeterintexas

In all fairness the OP stated ".....I've been flat on my back with COVID-19 for over a week..." but I can see how that statement got lost in the diatribe.

Let's go with brain fog.

Yeah, that's it. 

Because it couldn't be possible at the call center gave a correct answer first time around.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.