Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
qb55's profile
qb55
#1 Star!

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

Tue, Jan 23, 2018 5:30 PM

Fraudulent charges

My debit card has been charged two payments for something I know nothing about. $1149.00 and $125.99. This has wiped me out of all my money and no one seems to know anything about it. Don’t even know which forum to post it to. Transaction says ATT.COM.

Responses

Accepted Solution

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

3 years ago

Fraudulent charges should immediately be contested with YOUR BANK.  Especially if you do not have an ATT Account.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

This same thing just happened to me and I am not an AT&T Customer.  My debit card was charged 4 times in a row on 1/26/18 for $120.00 each time totaling $480.  The description on my bank detail says "AT&T ATT DATA".  I have called my bank and they are investigating this.  They are going to issue a temporary credit to my account for the $480 with in 24 hours while the investigation is going.  I'm just hoping they can find out who did this and somehow get that money back because if not, I'm out the $480 if the investigation doesn't turn out anything.   I am lucky I had just deposited my pay check the day before or I would have had negative balance charges for anything that went through after the 26th.  People are terrible! 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

3 years ago

@missmg801 wrote:

This same thing just happened to me and I am not an AT&T Customer.  My debit card was charged 4 times in a row on 1/26/18 for $120.00 each time totaling $480.  The description on my bank detail says "AT&T ATT DATA".  I have called my bank and they are investigating this.  They are going to issue a temporary credit to my account for the $480 with in 24 hours while the investigation is going.  I'm just hoping they can find out who did this and somehow get that money back because if not, I'm out the $480 if the investigation doesn't turn out anything.   I am lucky I had just deposited my pay check the day before or I would have had negative balance charges for anything that went through after the 26th.  People are terrible! 

@missmg801

All banks will refund fraud charges and go back and get the money from what ever source took it.  

Consumer banks accounts are always safe.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

There are a total of   eight  fraudulent debit charges made to my   checking account  and I do not have  an  AT&T  account.   Whoever is doing this has also done the same thing to someone else as reported above.  Apparently, it's someone who  has access to AT&T because the transactions all state the same and that would mean your corporation is responsible.   I will go to the BBB and Consumer Protection .  It's coming from your company as my bank has stated and that means AT&T are charging me.  

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.9K Messages

3 years ago

@Debitfraud You don’t understand how fraud works, do you. No, it is not coming from ATT. Once you get the charges reversed, ATT is the victim. Someone used your card to pay for services or merchandise, probably merchandise.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Debitfraud wrote:

There are a total of   eight  fraudulent debit charges made to my   checking account  and I do not have  an  AT&T  account.   

That means some got your checking account info from somewhere that was NOT AT&T.

Whoever is doing this has also done the same thing to someone else as reported above. 

You have NO idea it's the same person.

Apparently, it's someone who  has access to AT&T because the transactions all state the same and that would mean your corporation is responsible.  It's coming from your company as my bank has stated and that means AT&T are charging me.  

That's not how it works. Everyone has access to AT&T to make PURCHASES, they just used your checking account to make those purchases.

I will go to the BBB and Consumer Protection .  

Someone used stolen information about your checking account and made a purchase from AT&T. They got gear from AT&T.

It's not someone at AT&T using fake checking account info to inflate their bottom line (I guess it could be, but that makes a LOT less sense).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

How do you know that someone used  stolen information about my checking account?    Are you an AT&T  employee?    Everyone here has tried to contact AT&T as instructed by their financial institution but could not because they do not have an account .   Report identity fraud to the FTC asap if you are a victim.     As AT&T cannot be contacted directly  and if you are a victim, contact the BBB and  Consumer protection  financial board..    AT&T will have to respond.    Then equifax and  equiferian credit reporting agencies.     Contact local police but this is really a federal crime so I recommend contacting the FBI or IC3 internet crime protection  which is also the FBI. 

I understand that AT&T DATA means that someone fraudulently  stole money and AT&T received it as they are the merchant.   AT&T did business with a thief and where AT&T went wrong is by not verifying the authenticity of the buyer.  It's no different than receiving stolen property.      AT&T received stolen property   when they accepted   at least twenty illegal transactions  and how are they going to play dumb like they didn't know?  I would find it alarming when three transactions are made and I think I would  verify proof of identity.  Ignorance is no excuse of the law and I'm sure AT&T has an accounts  receivable department.    If   AT&T would be responsible for refunding these illegal transactions they should be very thankful!

AT&T is not going to pay $1700. to me or my bank.  I know that for a fact as  the manager stated the bank reimburses these fraudulent  (theft) transactions.    These are financial institutions and are FDIC insured, therefore, this really is a federal crime.    AT&T probably isn't going to lose a  penny as the FDIC is paid for by taxpayers.  AT&T  doesn't care either way because they would consider it a loss and  it's written off on their taxes.     This forum  only shows a few people who  had  their bank accounts  stolen and compromised so it's not even an accurate representation of everyone in the USA   besides those who reside outside the USA. 

This has happened  since 2016  as it's reported on these AT&T forums.    We know that the new RFID chip wasn't mandated in every debit bank card at that time.     By the end of 2017 the Federal government mandated that everyone is issued a new card with the new RFID chip.    Some people already had the new RFID chip in their credit or debit cards and this could be the way their numbers  were compromised  then and  now as radio frequency can be tuned  in by  radio if one can figure out the right frequency.     That's why there are protective coverings for your debit and credit cards  available to shield the emitting radio frequency so  one's card cannot be read.

For those who don't know this please get a  protective covering for your debit or credit cards ASAP as they can be read in your house and through your wallet.     I'm sure the Federal government   knew this would compromise everyone's cards   and they may have a reason behind it and  it may actually benefit all of us  in the long run.  I don't know about that but that's another issue. 

However, AT&T should have been able to locate where these transactions were made as they received stolen property.  If you beg to differ, how is this not stolen property?   AT&T isn't going to allow a purchase of any kind without funds being available.  AT&T is not losing and I know that for a fact.      They know  the purchases/transactions were made in GA or wherever and maybe the FBI has a sting operation occurring since 2016 and that might likely be the scenario.    AT&T might be working with the FBI.  Usually the FBI waits until they have a significant amount of evidence and accumulated bank fraud before they make arrests.      You should be hearing about these arrests soon.    Banks  are institutions  of the federal government  and stealing from  the federal government   will guarantee one many years behind bars.      Look at it like Medicare fraud.  Any health care provider who frauds Medicare  is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.     If  you happened to notice that's why FDIC banks waited until these transactions reached over $1000.     These  criminals could have probably got away with  this if they only used someone's  debit card once   and purchased no more than $120.    If they had chosen senior citizens  or perhaps  one unlike myself,   they wouldn't have been caught as many seniors aren't computer literate.   However,  those retired and who live on a fixed income only receiving Social Security  is the reason I will pursue this and press charges.    I despise  anyone who steals and especially those who would steal from senior citizens!     Remember, not every senior is computer illiterate.      Some retired individuals are computer science professors. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just got  a fraud alert that $120 was charged to my debit card for AT$T DATA . I do not live in GA and I am not an AT&T customer. Luckily my bank alerted me.  I think I should also change my account number.  These thieves have a knack to make things inconvenient for us.  We work hard for our money and they take it for free.  I wish them all the bad luck.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I just got hit for $120 x 5 charged to my checking account by AT&T GA. during Oct 2 to Oct 5 2019. THE FRAUD was caught Oct 7 and immediately reported.  No fraud reimbursement in three weeks. 

I am so frustrated after eight hours on the phone with my Bank,  and trying to find any live person to contact at AT&T.    

This is a long term scan and AT&T is negligent in accepting these charges! 

GIve me a LIVE FRAUD REPRESENTATIVE I CAN CALL. 

I have NO AT&T ACCOUNT! 

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

1.6K Messages

a year ago

@Lost600  You could have been a victim of a phishing scam to steal your card info. Also quite a few stores have had data breaches and credit/debit card info stolen. Link below has a list of some of the sites hit with a data breach. 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/my-account/KM1041342

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

a year ago

@Lost600 wrote:

I just got hit for $120 x 5 charged to my checking account by AT&T GA. during Oct 2 to Oct 5 2019. THE FRAUD was caught Oct 7 and immediately reported.  No fraud reimbursement in three weeks. 

I am so frustrated after eight hours on the phone with my Bank,  and trying to find any live person to contact at AT&T.    

This is a long term scan and AT&T is negligent in accepting these charges! 

GIve me a LIVE FRAUD REPRESENTATIVE I CAN CALL. 

I have NO AT&T ACCOUNT! 

It's kind of hard for AT&T to help you without an account, since neither you nor AT&T have any idea where the money went. There's really no way of being 100% sure at this point they are actually from AT&T. 

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

Okay so created account over the phone with the promotional line. Took 2 cards because she stated the first did not work, which was (Edited per community guidelines) because I was looking at the account balance. Sat on the phone two hours ordered 2 phones. Representative did not explain anything. Gave me a confirmation number and an order number. Had it sent to my email through at&t. Set up a phone service. Next day fraud alert. Shut off my cards. Next morning fraud alert. How when I shut my card off? Now cancelling everything with at&t. No longer want your service. 

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

4 months ago

@Kmarti48 

Better hope phones weren't shipped and no account created, otherwise enjoy collection and credit damage..

Get started...

Ask a new question