Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Mofiki

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

Wed, Jul 15, 2015 12:42 AM

FIX: Change your Billing Cycle and Due Date!

There are many people angry about the change in billing due dates that have been set by AT&T recently.  There is a way to get your due date back to where you want it but does require a little work on your part.

NOTE: I am not an AT&T Employee, this is just advice from someone doing a little research!

How the change works:

First you will need to contact AT&T customer support (as this is just a customer to customer support forum so nobody here can make changes to your account). Let them know you want to change your billing cycle and due date.

1. First month - you must complete your current billing cycle
  2. Second month - you will have a prorated "short" cycle anywhere from 0-29 days
  3. Third month - you will start with the billing cycle on the new date you select. There are a couple of other requirements below just so you are completely informed when talking to AT&T support. 

Billing Cycle Change Requirements:
Changing your billing cycle is NOT an option in all service areas so contact support at 800-331-0500 to find out if this option is available in your service area.

• Your billing cycle cannot be changed during the five days before or after the close of your current cycle. 
  • Your billing cycle cannot be changed if your account is in a delinquent status, or if the account will fall delinquent before the requested change date. 
  • If you have a payment arrangement set up, the payment arrangement must be made before the billing cycle is changed. 
  • If you have Autopay, you may see two Autopay drafts in one month due to the billing cycle change.

Please keep in mind that when a billing cycle is changed you will see prorated charges to get all of the billing back on track with the new dates.

Understanding that this does create an inconvenience for many people for the first 2 months you will be where you need to be after and back on track.  If anyone has anything to add please do so and I will update my post.

Responses

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Not so with me. My last bill I received on 7-24.(as it has been for the last 7 months or so) The due date of this statement is 8-6, which means I have to have my check in the mail by the 29th to have the required minimum 7 days for it to arrive and not receive a late charge. So that gives me 4 days once I receive the bill to pay it. What if this statement was placed in my neighbors mail box and assuming they do not come over and give it to me, they place it say the next day back into their mail box( if your lucky) stating wrong address?.

So it goes back to the post office(day 1), gets resorted (day 2)and sent back out to me (day 3) so now there is no way for me to send out my payment without having a 7 day cushion for it to arrive on time for the due date and I get a late charge.

To me this is unfair payment schedule that they are imposing on me. Not to mention what if I go on a standard American one week vacation I would rest a sure be getting a late charge.

I have called 7 times to get this straighten out but with no luck what so ever.

Out of all my billing companies, Gas, Water, Electricity and credit cards the minimum time frame I have is 2 weeks to make a payment and what AT&T is doing is just not right in any words of the matter and this company needs to face charges for their wrongful doings. 

Any body else have this problem or am I just the lucky one?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Oh I forgot to mention this statement is 2 months after my last complaint phone call requesting for it to be charged to a minimum 2 week payment allowance period. The following month it was prorated for a weeks service, followed by a months worth bill and then the bill above. Am right back were I started from.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.1K Messages

3 years ago

Your due date is always three weeks after the billing date. Always...for everyone. That will not change. If we assume one week for the mail each way, then yes, you will only have a week to pay

You can view your bill online a few days after each billing date; it is 2017, there's no need to wait on the mail. You can even pay online and wait until your due date.

There are several ways you can speed up the process, you just have to choose to do so.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

Who pays by check!   For gosh sakes my 80 year old mom pays automatically, online.  

Is the bill the same each month?  Yes, give or take a buck, yes.  And on the same day each month?  So why are you not automatically sending a check (if you must).

It cost 49 cents plus cost of the check itself to pay by mail, nothing to pay online and for a while there was a discount offered to go paperless and pay automatically.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

That would be nice if my bill was even CLOSE to being the same each month. With absolutely no changes in service or usage our bill over the past 6 months has had a $20-50 variance because of a $20.57 credit we were promised to receive each month when we signed up. Some months we get it, some we don't, some it's credited after the billing date, etc etc. it's gotten so frustrating that we are going back to Verizon in a few months when contract is up. Even we won't still receive the $10 credit from DIRECTV for combined billing.......

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

I pay with checks and have been doing so for the past 35 and have had no problems, not one late payment. Thank you... Well your 80 year old Mom probably forgets to pay her bills and that's why she uses automatic payment methods.

So answer me this, why is that my Electric company, Gas company, Water company, VERIZON Cell PHONE Company, Car/House insurance company, Mortgage company, Credit card company all give me you and everyone else over 13 days once the bill arrives in the mail to pay their bills?? And AT&T only gives me 3 days. Yes three days to pay a bill once it arrived. Just got my bill Saturday the 26th the due date on this statement is the 4th, being it's a Holiday it would be the 5th. So it must be in the mail by the 29th.

What would happen if I was on a week vacation? What would you think would happen then??? Late charge disconnection of service. What if the mail carrier had placed my mail in a neighbors mail box? They may put it in the mail the next day(if your lucky) stating wrong address. It goes back to the post office for resorting, then the following day it's redelivered. Do you think that gives me enough time to pay it on time? What makes AT&T so special they can make their own rules? Must be a sister company of EBay and Paypal!!!! And to think I was going to change my cell phone account to AT&T and bundle my Directv service. Not anymore that's for sure.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

@nojustice  Your bill is produced 3 weeks before it's due.  It is available online and you are notified when it's produced.  Even if you don't get a bill, it's still due, you still have to pay it.  It's due the same day each month.  

What if you take a months vacation?   As my mother does every February.  She's lucky to be able to travel and is very organized so she can do so worry free.  

Figure it out.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42.3K Messages

3 years ago

Actually, the bill is produced 3-4 days after the start of the billing cycle. My billing cycle starts on the 24th, I got notice of my bill being ready yesterday on the 27th. So typically you should have 17-18 days notice after the bill is produced. If it was being mailed, I would expect the bill within another 3-4 days. Bottom line, even via snail mail you should have 2 weeks from time of receipt until the bill is due. Back when I still got paper bills, I always had 2 weeks. If you are only getting 3 days notice, something is definitely wrong. It would be interesting to know the postmark date on your bill. Is ATT late sending it or is the post office just really slow delivering it?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

So I see you have selective reading with your responses.

You failed to answer WHY all the other companies that I listed and mentioned give me more than 13 days to pay my bill once they arrive?

Why is that?

Are all these companies screw up with their billing cycle, or maybe it's just AT&T. Can you answer that with a respectable explanation?

FYI don't really care about what your mom does, how she does it or when she does it!! Lets keep to the matter in hand expert..

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

sandblaster,

Am checking into to that. Have asked a couple of neighbors(father as well, but is on another mail route) as they to have AT&T, to note down the day their bill arrives and the due date for the statement. We are in a rural location so there is not much of a choice when it come to landline home phone service or internet via phone line. But the three days they are giving me is unacceptable. It has not always been like this. Have had AT&T account here for the past 13 years and the 3-5 days payment deal started about 6-7 months ago, as I look back to my last statements and yes it used to be 14 days that I had to send in my payment. Just like all my other statement due dates.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

@nojustice wrote:

So I see you have selective reading with your responses.

You failed to answer WHY all the other companies that I listed and mentioned give me more than 13 days to pay my bill once they arrive?

Why is that?

Are all these companies screw up with their billing cycle, or maybe it's just AT&T. Can you answer that with a respectable explanation?

FYI don't really care about what your mom does, how she does it or when she does it!! Lets keep to the matter in hand expert..

I have all my bills e-delivered and e-paid, so I have no issue with delivery VS due dates.

If you don't care about how my mom does it, don't bring it up.

Just for the record.  My ATT bill cycle ends on the 18th, I get notice on the 22nd and it is paid on the 6th

My LL Bean credit card just notified me on the 27th and is due on the 5th.  So ATT is giving me 6 more days than LL Bean.  

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

7 days each way for mailing? Where in the US does it take a full week for letter to make it through the mail? I just checked, you are from Arkansas and your AT& payment mailing address is probably Georgia which is 2 days.

To answer your question, who cares? So they don't give you 20+ days to pay your bill. They're giving you MORE than enough time to pay it, even if you choose to do it via snailmail. They're a private company so they make their own rules. If you don't like it, move on to another company that you're comfortable dealing with.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

duplicate post, please delete 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Thank you for your time and explanation. It s understandable now why at&t would rather answer with a NO than  try to explain this process over a simple due date change. I just switched to at&t and asked if they could draft my account on the 3rd (payday). They replied no problem. My account has been drafted on the 1st or 2nd of every month and my phone gets shut off every month. My situation is to correct an error on there part should have been taken care off. Better education regarding due dates to staff is needed. Eva Sikes Denison, TX

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

To everyone whom responded with their opinion for the solution to this issue, Thank you.

I have been dealing with AT&T Direct solutions department regarding this issue and the last response I got was" please check with your mail carrier" This problem is not with my mail carrier or the post office at all.  The problem is with AT&T they obviously acknowledge that there is a problem or issue or they would not say check with your mail carrier.

So the bottom line is this, why does my neighbor have 8 days to pay their bill? This is with them allowing 7 days mailing time to arrive at AT&T office prior to the due date? But I only get three days? Is that not odd or what!! (Why 7 day travel time, cause this is the minimum time that all companies say that you should mail your payment in. Is this mot because of the slowness of the mail service, why No not at all. It's because companies like to have this extra time for them to process this to your account).

Same post office, same mail carrier. Like Casandra Dyson said from AT&T check with your mail carrier. Like the post office see's my AT&T bill and says, hey lets hold onto this for a few days or a week then deliver it.... Or how about my dad, he gets 13 days time frame before he must mail his bill in, again allowing 7 days travel time for it to arrive to AT&T office. And again same post office just different mail carrier. This is real odd to me. Yet I get only 3 days.

I guess if I take a week vacation I just got to make sure it's not when my AT&T bill is sent to me. Absolutely ridiculous and real stupid of the people that work at AT&T for not realizing this.

And yes, once I have the option for another internet service in my location I will be dropping AT&T all together. Already switched my cell phone to Verizon and am looking into Dish Satellite service so I can drop Directv, then it's onto my land line phone service as well. Who needs them.

Get started...

Ask a new question