Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Dec 22, 2015 10:34 PM

Final Bill Issue/Deception

I was an ATT wireless customer from 2007-September/October 2015.  In September I decided to switch carriers.  When I called to cancel, I was told that if I wanted to keep my number, I needed to let my new carrier cancel with ATT when I activated the number with them. I did this, however doing so pushed me into a new billing cycle.  As I look now, it seems that this was misinformation on AT&T's part and I could have done it all on the phone.  Anyone have any experience with this kind of issue?  I am disinclined to pay AT&T $110 for a few days of cell service.  

Thanks

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.6K Messages

5 years ago

You are incorrect.  

If you cancel service without porting your numbers, you lose all your phone numbers.

The correct procedure for keeping your number is to have the new carrier port your numbers before the end of your billing cycle, which cancels your service.

This is the case with all carriers.  They do not prorate final bills.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

But I could have ported over the phone, correct?

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

5 years ago

No you can't do the port over the phone. You need to start service with the new company. The new company contacts AT&T to port the number to their service. You cannot do anything to speed up the process.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.6K Messages

5 years ago

Ported the phone?  

The phone has nothing to do with it.

You were told correctly by ATT.   I Recommend you port 2-3 days before the end of a billing cycle in case the port doesn't complete right away.  If you are porting to one of the small, prepaid carriers, like straight talk, it is recommended you move it back a few more days as they are often not timely with porting.

My experience is the big 4 port just fine and immediately if you do the switch in a store. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Get started...

Ask a new question