For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
D

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, December 21st, 2019 11:36 PM

Extremely high International data charges

Hi,

I resently went to Europe for a cruise. I have the international Day Pass, yet I was charged $407 for Data use. I did not go over the limit of Data that I have on my plan. When I got into our first port of call, I turned my phone on and I recived a text from AT&T saying I had hit $100 in data usage. This was interesting since I had set my phone to airplane mode before we left port. I had used my phone in the cruise terminal before we got on the ship and while it was still docked.

I called the number an the rep said that I had been using Celluar at sea. I told her that I only used my phone while in port in the countries we visited.

Celluar at sea is not suppose to kick in until the ship is 2 miles out of port. My phone was alway in airplane mode by the time the ship left the dock. All of the countries we were in are covered in the international day pass. She said she would have her manager call me back. I never got a call back.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

There is no way you would get data charges from Cellular at Sea unless your phone conhected to Cellular at Sea. At $6/mb, it does not take long to run up a huge bill. You may have thought you were in airplane mode but apparently not. Sorry but I’ve got no suggestions for you. You might get some of that credited but very unlikely they will excuse all the charges.

• 

4 Messages

Thanks for your response. I did make calls while the ship was at the dock and also alongside the ship while it was at anchor. I wonder if I ping off the ship and not a local tower? I have had this problem before when I was on an island in northern Washington state. There is a tower on the island, but AT&T said that I was in Canada.

I was looking at my bill and it shows a data transfer at 8:35 PM. The ship did not leave the dock until after 9 PM.

None of the other two times that the bill says I was using my phone were it are times that the ship was at sea and my phone was set to airplane mode.

From my reseach, it is turned on when the ship reaches international waters.

Your thoughts would be helpful.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

4 years ago

I was looking at my bill and it shows a data transfer at 8:35 PM. The ship did not leave the dock until after 9 PM.

None of the other two times that the bill says I was using my phone were it are times that the ship was at sea and my phone was set to airplane mode.

Data is not posted on your account in real time. Data posted at 8:35 PM was used any time in the 72 hours prior to when it was posted.

Only Calls and Text are posted with real time.

• 

4 Messages

"Data is not posted on your account in real time. Data posted at 8:35 PM was used any time in the 72 hours prior to when it was posted"

Hers the problem with this... By 8:35 we were still anchored in port. This was the day we embarked. The 72 hours prior were spend on land BEFORE we even got on ship for the first time. After checking my coll log, I made a call at 8:45 to let family know we were aboard the ship. Thinking back, I did use my phone to look at facebook after I made that call, but that was before we set sail. The ship did not host anchor until after 10 PM.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

Hers the problem with this... By 8:35 we were still anchored in port. This was the day we embarked. The 72 hours prior were spend on land BEFORE we even got on ship for the first time. After checking my coll log, I made a call at 8:45 to let family know we were aboard the ship. Thinking back, I did use my phone to look at facebook after I made that call, but that was before we set sail. The ship did not host anchor until after 10 PM.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

The only thing I can think of is the charge was not from Cellular at Sea. What country were you in and are you sure international day pass was both active and covered that country? How much data was used and does the amount equate to the charges? Cellular at Sea data runs $6/mb, pay per use data on land runs $2/mb.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

Sandblaster,

I had international day pass, and was using it on the day in question. We were in Greece. The bill has the charged under Maritime service. Total Data used 50,734KB Total price $304.41

Another question, Does my bill list the charge for the time zone that I was in, or Eastern standard time, which I am in now.

Thanks

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.