Need help understanding your bill?
STEELER4356's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, April 29th, 2015 4:39 PM

Extreme data usage

I have been an AT&T customer since 2008. I have 8 lines and have always been extremely satisfied with my service until December 2014. I started receiving bills that were between $800-1200 monthly. Usually they would be in the $350-500 range. Every time I question the charges, they tell me it's data overages. I upgraded from a 40g to a 100g plan and was told it was impossible to go over. Well, the next month I still had overages. I have taken the phones away from my kids and it STILL happens. I'm desperate for help. My phone bill exceeds my house payment and it seems like no one at AT&T cares. I'm so frustrated about about to switch providers.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

On most smartphones, through the settings menu, you can see which apps are using cellular data and how much each is using. On some brands, you can even turn off cellular data for the certains apps so that they will only use wifi.

Check those apps and see where you data is being used and why it is not being used on wifi.

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

9 years ago

If you're still having massive data overages even after having taken the phones away from your kids, then logic would dictate that the source of the overage is on one or more of the lines/phones that are not being used by your kids; you should be able to glean from your phone bill (either paper and/or online) as to which line(s) are the biggest data consumers (it won't tell you exactly what was responsible for the data consumption), then go from there.

Most common possible culprits are frequent/constant online video streaming (e.g., Netflix, YouTube), iOS and/or app updates done over cellular, abnormal email message download/retrieval behavior.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I DO NOT HAVE NEXTFLIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even when no one is using the phones I'm still being charged!!!!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

I think you are missing the point. Each smart phone has a record of how much data is used and by which application.
Your bill would show which line or lines is using excessive data.

Please look at the bill to determine which line or lines and then that phone or phones to see what is using the large amounts of data.

Once you have that information, then we can look at how to fix the problem.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

9 years ago

You close all apps running in the backyard?

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

9 years ago

Apologies. I mean apps running in background.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

After calling almost everyday for 4 months. I finally got some help. After having a diagnostic test on the phone, it was no good. It was NOT my fault and I was credited back ALL the overage charges. It's amazing what happens when someone actually takes the time to listen
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.