Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
aaguertin's profile

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 23rd, 2022 9:18 PM

Extra Charges on Unlimited Plan in S. America?

I just cruised south america and was told that I had unlimited data in all the countries I was in thanks to the plan I currently hold. I had my data turned off on my phone while on the ship because I knew it wouldn't work anyways, but the last night we were close to land. I turned the data on, thinking that it would hit off the cell towers on land if we were close enough. Sure enough, it worked, but I got dinged for "maritime charges." I received no information to tell me that it would be charging me at that time since I was told my data was unlimited. Every other time I tried to turn my data on and I wasn't close to land, it wouldn't work. So how come this time it "worked" but I was charged at a different rate? Anyone else able to get this fee waived? Seems crazy to me considering my understanding was my data was coming from on shore.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

1 year ago

If the ship doesn’t shut off the maritime cell service then your phone is going to connect to the strongest signal. Sorry but you won’t get the charges waived because the cruise company charged AT&T for your usage. 

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Well, that's unfortunate and seems like a big gap, considering I had no way of knowing that I wasn't connected to a carrier that's covered under the unlimited data plan.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

1 year ago

When I was on my cruise my phone showed maritime connectivity you just didn’t notice it. By the way I racked up 800 dollars on my bill because I thought we were close enough to port and even as an employee I wasn’t able to get the charges waived. Live and learn. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

considering I had no way of knowing that I wasn't connected to a carrier that's covered under the unlimited data plan

Not true. It is very easy to determine if you are connected to the ship’s cell tower. The ship’s cellular is usually called “Cellular at Sea” and that’s what shows on your phone’s display if connected to the ship’s cellular.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.