Excessive Data Overage Charges
I have been charged in excessive of $952 in data overages for a tablet on my account for usage on bills from 2/18/18 - 3/17/18 & 3/18/18 - 4/17/18. There are multiple layers to this problem and I am having a hard time after many days, hours and over 12 agents across different departments I’ve spoke to, no one has been able to sort this out or satisfy my questions. First off, I made many attempts on the At&t app on my iphone to change this tablet to unlimited data, which is $20 per month before the date of 3/2/18. With many faild attempts I should have called and that is where I failed. However, on 3/6/18 I went online on my home computer and successfully changed the tablet to the unlimited data plan. I specifically did this because we were going on vacation and I did not know if there would be wifi available at all times. I can see this done in my browser history on my computer. Some backstory, this tablet went unused for nearly 2 years I believe and has only recently been used by my child. We use it primarily at home and on At&t wifi. She is mostly using this on kid games and kid YouTube. So once I changed this to unlimited I never had a second thought about it. That is until I got the bill for March, which had an overage of nearly $300. I began looking st my detailed bill and can see overage charges periodically beginning at about 2/24 through the last day of the cycle. I had never received one notice about any overage at all or being charged any overage. I have since learned the notice of overage and the $15 additional 1GB charge notices were being sent to the tablet device. A child who cannot read and who uses this tablet certainly cannot say hey mom I’m going over data! Sometimes there were 3 and 4 chagres for additional data within a matter of hours. I find many problems with this scenario. 1. Why would there not be a notice sent to the main phone of the occurance, or to the email... something! 2. How could att system allow overages of this magnitude to accrue, seems a very simple solution could be put into place to avoid a big problem from this, or a cap out.. something! I have come to see now, on the main screen of the tablet a tiney tiny blue box of sorts with a even tiner “94” showing on it, this is a messages folder I have found. Guess what the 94 messages are......!!!! You guessed it, beginning from 2/24/18 these are messages that have collected to notify of the overage and additional data being added for the $15. This seems very ill placed and unnoticeable!!!
Now from these messages, I researched and found that on 3/27/18 at 1:02pm, the last notice was received stating all of additional data added had been used. With that, one would think that would be the date and time of the last additional data added charge. However it was not!! I was actually charged an additional 22 times of $15 for added data but not one other notice was sent to state data had been used or extra was being added for a charge. This was confirmed by a supervisor named Hector on 4/24/18. At that time he assured me he was taking responsibility for this discrepancy and would be crediting my account with $255. He said it would be about 2 days for it to show up. I waited extra time and that credit was never applied by Hector as he gave me his word. It was unsettling during that phone call that I had to argue and be stern just for him to actually pull up himself and review what I was saying. But not only that, it was unsettling that he did not care one bit about any of the other excess data charges. I was told notice was given on the rest and they were valid. No empathy or compassion. By the time of this call also, the next bill had cycled to be due so my account had a balance in excess of $1700. For 2 months. My normal bill is around $240. This was more than a shock and frustrating to get no help. How can you charge so much and in an extenuating circumstance yet offer no real assistance to help your customer with this. To allow the charges is beyond ridiculous but then to offer no assistance when the customer is trying to work with you and make it right. Since the second bill was already due, that showed me now as past due with zero options.
After the credit from Hector did not show up, I paid a partial payment. I called back and spoke with Daniel on 4/30/18 who was extremely helpful and was able to extend me a credit but did all that he could do. Then transferrig me to try to get Hector back to rectify the initial credit I got disconnected. I have sense spoke with 8 people today all of which none have been able to offer help or transfer me to anyone who can. I was told lastly by Jose in retention dept, I did not deserve another credit and he would not gove me the one I was owed by Hector since I received one already from Daniel. He questioned me very hard about why Daniel gave me a credit and why he didn’t offer it to include the first amount. As I understood from Daniel he did all HE could do, not that took the place of the first or that I wouldn’t be helped further. I am beyond frustrated that I have not been taken seriously and that I have been lied to and a supervisor can just get away with not upholding his word and that means nothing to them. I believe the servie will be suspended tonight or tomorrow sometime and am not sure at this point I dont want to cancel all together anyway. Hoping soneone here can offer insight or provide me a route to escelate further.