Help for account, billing & more
I

• 

1 Message

Thu, May 13, 2021 6:14 PM

Duplicate account created by mistake by account representative - Options???

Hello! I'm currently travelling and with limited mobility due COVID. To keep contact I opened a new account online (via chat). I specifically asked for an eSIM to activate in my iPhone. The account representative opened a physical sim account and then an eSIM (2 lines instead of one!) After being unable to activate the eSIM another account representative helped me cancelling the previous operation and creating a new line, with a new number and such new line was eSIM. I was able to activate and use the new line and I was extremely happy. Then the end of the month just came, Im being billed by the 2 initial lines mistakenly created by the rep ($129 !!!) and for my new, correct line ($92). I paid my new line and called to correct the situation. I'm being told the wrong line wasnt correctly cancelled and they cant do anything without the pass code of that line (that I dont have and didnt created) and they cant reset it since the number is not active. That my only option is to physically go to the store, reset the pass code, cancel the line and then dispute the charges, but right now I owe the line and will be billed for the next month. As said Im travelling, and wont be back until a pair of months more. Is there really nothing I can do??? Is not my fault!!! THANKS TO ANYONE READING IT THAT MAY HELP!!!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

29.2K Messages

6 m ago

If an additional account/line was opened that you didn't authorize, then that needs to be handled by their Global Fraud Management (even if the situation was unintentional).

Report an Unauthorized AT&T Account - Wireless Customer Support (att.com)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.2K Messages

6 m ago

Are you in the US? There are stores all over the US. I disagree with the above, this isn’t a fraud issue. If you can’t get to a store, file an FCC complaint. Lines do not have pass codes, accounts have an account pin. The pin is to validate they are dealing with the account owner. They have other ways of verifying that. There is no reason you should need to provide an account pin for an account that should never have been created. So are you getting two separate bills?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

29.2K Messages

6 m ago

Well if a 2nd account was opened then that would be an unauthorized account. Sounds like it was an honest error by the chat agent, though same result either way.

Curious why send them to a FCC complaint instead of an unauthorized account submission.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.2K Messages

6 m ago

Just because I think the FCC complaint will get it resolved faster. Ive seen too many complaints about getting a response from the global fraud team plus I’m still not sure they are the right ones to handle a billing error, which this appears to be.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

29.2K Messages

6 m ago

Fair enough as definitely want the fastest resolution.

Yeah it feels weird if just a billing error. As the support page leads with "unauthorized account" I took that to be regardless if by accident or on purpose. But if response back is having issues, then I agree with going the FCC complaint route.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.