Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Jul 5, 2014 10:30 PM

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can fight this

So my son upgraded his IPhone back in Feb. 2014 under the Next Program. Come to find out this Next Program in tied to my account and number;  not to his number under my account. I am so very upsetSmiley Mad that no one from AT&T cared to share with me that this was going to happen. Now I have a 653.00 commitment to AT&T and I’m no longer under a contract with them. I do not see how it this obligation can legally be put on me.  If I was not trying to transfer his line to him I would not have ever known.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can fight this, this is so unfair. I would never pay 700.00 for a freaking cellphone! 

Responses

mainmat

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

7 years ago

I know the feeling bro, I paid that expensive insurance for 6yrs straight for the iphone and then I finally needed to use it over a cracked screen. I got a refurbished junk replacement and was

still charged nearly $300 dollars for one that quit working in a week, and didn't even work right

when I got it.  Then, now later I find out I've been signed up for 2 more yrs contract. I haven't even signed a new contract! How did I get another 2yrs?  

I just stopped payin the bill and went to Verizon. That's all I can suggest bro,

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 years ago

@yellowbutterfly wrote:

So my son upgraded his IPhone back in Feb. 2014 under the Next Program. Come to find out this Next Program in tied to my account and number;  not to his number under my account. I am so very upsetSmiley Mad that no one from AT&T cared to share with me that this was going to happen. Now I have a 653.00 commitment to AT&T and I’m no longer under a contract with them. I do not see how it this obligation can legally be put on me.  If I was not trying to transfer his line to him I would not have ever known.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can fight this, this is so unfair. I would never pay 700.00 for a freaking cellphone! 

The NEXT plan is tied to the account & number which was specified when the agreement was signed.  If your son did this in February without your knowledge or permission that is not good.  Now if he is an authorized user on your account, I believe that he would have the authorizaitions from you to make changes to the account, but I believe that in order to sign the purchase agreement for the Phone under NEXT either you were needed to sign, or it would not be in your name (unless the clerk failed to do their job, or your son lied to them and told them he was you).

As with any contest to an outstnding balance due, you could ask them for the proof that you owe the money.  Have them provide the signature proof that you entered the agreement, etc.  More than likely, the best you can do is correct the error that the upgrade was tied to the wrong phone number. 

As for the purchse price of the phone, it's hard to fight that, as that's how much an out of contract iPhone costs for the 16GB iPhone.  The 32GB is $100 more, and the 64GB is $200 more than the 16GB iPhone, so it could have been even worse.  Yes, you could purchase an iPhone with a contract subsidy, but on the Mobile Share plans, that subsidy (worth about $450) would increase your monthly bill because you would lose your out of contract discount (or either $15 or $25 depending upon which level data plan you have).  In many cases, that contract subsidy will cost you $600 + $199 (the discount price of the iPhone) so it would cost you about $150 more to get the 2 year contract subsidy over the life of the contract.  Most americans aren't used to paying the full price for their smart phones, unlike europeans, who have been doing that for some time.  You pay the full price for your phone, then you pay less for the service on that phone, and you are not under a service contract so you are free to leave whenever you want.  If you choose to leave early, you are oblidged to pay off the iPhone NEXT installments, and since you wil not have a monthly service bill, you will be expected to pay off the NEXT balance in full, but there is no ETF for your contract because you would be getting service without having a service contract.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thank u, I am really considering going to Verizon

--
Natarsha's Gmail Mobile
MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

7 years ago

@yellowbutterfly wrote:

This is an issue between you and your son. If you don't want the commitment, I'd recommend informing your son to pay off the phone within the next month. 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question