Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
Help for account, billing & more
MosBew's profile

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Oct 13, 2021 5:07 PM

Do I pay sales tax on an exchange?

I just upgraded my phone and paid the $71 sales tax fee. But, under their exchange policy I will be exchanging it for a different phone within my 14 day period (I want the bigger one). IPhone 13 Pro to iPhone 13 Pro Max. From what I understand I should only pay the difference in sales tax and not another sales tax fee entirely as it is an exchange for the same product. Can anymore shed some light on this? I'm in Nevada. I want to make sure I'm not paying the initial $71 plus another $75 or $80 to exchange the phone. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

10分前

You aren't doing an exchange; you will return one phone and purchase another, which is where the restock fee comes in. When you return the original phone, you will be refunded the sales tax (that sometimes takes a few days). When you buy the new phone you will pay the sales tax applicable to that purchase. 

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

10分前

You will pay a restock fee of $55.   

The sales tax will be charged again, less the few dollars difference. So you will again pay quite a bit in tax. 

• 

3 Messages

10分前

According to any laws I've looked up, the vendor should not charge a separate sales tax on an exchange of a similar item or the same item as the sales tax is considered a part of the original contract sale and extends back to the consumer. However, I was unable to get confirmation of this stipulation and needed more clarification. Thanks for the response!

• 

3 Messages

10分前

@MicCheck  perfect thank you! That's what I thought. I confirmed this with an ATT rep as well. Thank you for responding!

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.