Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

seanu

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Fri, Apr 5, 2013 3:17 PM

Data usage consistently happening at night while phone is plugged in on wifi

Ok... just got of chat with att support. Wife has iPhone 4 that she uses for phone, text and email. Little to no web browsing and absolutely no media streaming. We are seeing consistent data usage in the hours when the phone is plugged in, on our home wifi, and not in use...

04/0311:58 PMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent16421 KB
04/0312:17 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent7688 KB
04/0112:17 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent4480 KB
03/2812:06 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent7363 KB
03/2712:06 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent15029 KB

The person on the chat claims that this is due to the phone not using at&t towers, and the usage from other carriers is getting billed at night. Since I'm in the NYC metro area, and AT&T has great coverage (as per their own maps and advertising) Is this the new line from AT&T for the phantom data usage issue? Has the FTC been made aware of this issue yet? Has anyone figured out a way to determine what data is being sent by the phone while sleeping?

I've been using AT&T wireless for about 14 years... and T-Mobile is starting to look like the only honest player around.

Responses

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

I will give it a try. I always keep cellular data turned off unless I cannot locate a Wi-Fi hot spot.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

3 years ago

@acmetown

Anytime.   If you need help tweeking settings, just note which apps are using too much.  

If your android has a power saver setting, this automatically turns off background data.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

And how exactly are you suppose to clean your contact and your pictures?
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

3 years ago

@henderson888

Your contacts and photos would take up STORAGE, not use your data.

To see what is using data, open settings data usage.  

If you back up photos, the back up should be set to wifi only.   Same for backing up anything.  If you don't have wifi, do a cable backup to a computer. 

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

If this is true then why is there Data charges through the day also?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

2 years ago

@TJaneP68

You never close an app, change towers, or connect to Wifi during the day?  

Of course, we all do.  Some towers may be ATT, some leased or partner towers.  Each tower reports separate usage after you disconnect.  3 to 72 hours after you disconnect 

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@TJaneP68 wrote:

If this is true then why is there Data charges through the day also?

I'd like some clarification on THIS?

Some data seems to be reported quicker, some gets delayed. 

The thread that you are replying to was started over FIVE years ago, I don't think we got the 3/6/9/12 data dumps the way we do now way back then, so there will be inconsistency in this thread.

Regardless, I track the data use of my phone and the use that AT&T reports it's usually quite close (my phone settings usually reports more than AT&T does by a couple percent).

This new period has been a little weird in that the phone has been reporting 50MB-100MB more than AT&T does. That said, AT&T's reporting could be days late (but it usually catches up overnight), so it's nothing to worry about on my end.

I just care at the end of the month if AT&T's numbers close to my phones numbers?

I never look at the line item of data usage unless there is a reason to, like when did this phone use WAY more data than usual (oh, it's that date, when the WiFi went out for two days!).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

At&T actually connected me with this thread when I asked why my data was doing what was stated above. I'm glad you ate not having issues now but I am having issues and it just started. I'm just going to call the attorney general after I document proof and let them handle it.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

2 years ago

@TJaneP68

So far your response is kin to, “how can I be overdrawn, I still have checks left?”   

I strongly suggest you know what your talking about and document use on your phone for a full bill cycle.  (Screen shot all app use) Be able to show your phone’s use and ATT totals.  

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress/ba-p/4323575

That means matching your dates up.  Resetting your data meter if you have iPhones.  Make sure your Android is set to the bill cycle. 

Unless you have proof that ATT is showing more usage than your phone has metered, you’re going to look Foolish.  

And if the end result is the numbers match, but are higher than usual, you need to look at which apps are using more data than before.  

I have only ONCE seen a (Verizon) customer come to the forum who know what he was talking about and had proof his meter was less than the carrier had.  

There have been a few customers who proved their phone was defective.  

I will be EXTREMELY surprised if you can lay any of this on AT&T.   EXTREMELY 

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…