Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
AlbionH's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Feb 14, 2015 5:48 AM

Data usage calls wihen the phone if OFF.

Why am I getting data usage charges on an international plan when the phone is turned off and the cellular data is turned off?  Cellular data being turned off is meant to preclude all data reception and transmission except when connected to Wi-Fi which should result in no charge?  This is the second consecutive month I've gotten data charges of around $250.

Am I the only one this is happening to?

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

83.6K Messages

6 y ago

The only way to garantee no cellular data use is to turn mobile data off at the carrier.
Your phone tracks cellular data use in settings, does it have record of cellular data usage during the time you were traveling?

Contact customer service about your bill.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

48.5K Messages

6 y ago

No, you should not have any data charges if the phone is off or cellular data is off, there has to be more to this story. For one thing, the date and time when the data is billed does not necessarily equate to when the data was actually used, so if your phone and cellular data was on at any time during your billing cycle, the charges are probably legitimate.

I can truthfully say I have never gotten a bogus international data charge and all I ever do is turn off international data roaming.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

Makes little sense but OK.  Pls turn off mobile data on my phone.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

6 y ago

Hi there @AlbionH

I’d be happy to help with your data usage! If you are on one of our Mobile Share Value plans, you can easily turn off your cellular data for the duration of the bill cycle by performing the following:

1. Select myAT&T at the top of the page. If prompted, log in. Don't have a myAT&T login? Register today!
  2. Hover over Billing & Usage at the top of the page and then select Usage Since Last Bill located under Usage.
  3. Next to Data for the device, select the link Turn on/off this member's data, and then select one of the following:
    • Turn On (Activate) to turn data usage back on for that device.
    • Turn Off (Deactivate) to turn data usage off for that device.
  4. Select Submit.
  5. To restore data services - including picture and video messaging - power off the device you reactivated, then power it back on again.

If not on a Mobile Share Value plan, turning off data entirely on a service level may require an additional feature such as AT&T Smart Limits.

I hope this helps!

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

Get started...

Ask a new question