Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wed, Feb 1, 2017 4:57 AM

Data overage

I recently after MONTS of having excessive date us on a line that is not used frequently discovered and was confirmed at an AT&T store that the Apple IPhone 6S on this line was running cellular data non stop. I have screen shots of the phone running while not being used and connected to wifi. Data has resulted in one overage and likely another not to mention it has consumed immense amounts of data. Consumes about 191kb every 4 hours around the clock even when showing connected to wifi and not in use. I've just finally been referred to Apple for the first time to do a warranty claim. However I was told I would get data forgiveness for the month but a supervisor told me there is no such thing. Again been going on for a long time with the phone consuming anywhere between 8-12 GB each month alone mostly on its own while my device I use constantly consumes 1-2 GB it appears. Anyone else experienced this? I am absolutely repulsed this has been going on all this time, they suspected the device was defective even in July yet never referred me to Apple, have not honored their word on crediting back the excessive date or overage charges and lead to constant use of our phones while walking on egg shells.

Responses

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago

@ashelton 191kb every 4 hours is only 1.2MB a day that's less than 60MB a month. Basically nothing. 

I'm not sure how that works out to 8-12GB a month.

What does the phone say it's using, the settings in the phone should tell you exactly which apps are using the data??  

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.1K Messages

3 years ago

Yes, the math doesn't work out to 8-12 gigs.

1024 kilobytes equals a megabyte.

1024 megabytes equal a gigabyte.  

At the rate you suggest, the phone is using 34,380 kilobytes a month.

Or 34 megabytes.  Or .03 gigabytes.  

Data use is not a mystery and It hardly takes months to figure out which line is using data.  Have you looked at your usage online?

log in to your account and look at your previous months reports, you can go back over a year.   

This is available in the My ATT app on your phone.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I actually got this resolved but way way later! The data overage WAS due to a DEFECTIVE device as I have been saying for months! AT&T needs to learn to listen to customers upon first call. I still had to keep contacting multiple people before an issue was resolved and made an FCC report because it has gone on so long. The data overages were corrected. A representative walked me through all settings on the phone and it was not due to an app. The only app installed on this phone was Facebook. It is used by a man who works outdoors where there is little signal. We took it to the AT&T store who found it defective as well. Contacted apple who agreed when after all this time AT&T never suggested I'll add. I'll also add this usage I noted was with us not touching the phone and it sitting not in use at all so regardless of your math imagine what it was doing when in use. Most internet usage was when the device was home connected to wifi I will add so there shouldn't have been much usage. Turns out I've heard 4 other people with same problem. Since replacement of the phone we are 12 days from a new bill cycle and have only used a total 5,900 MB on all devices whereas every month that device alone was using 11,000-12,000MB. Can't explain that one away due to an app or some small math number you quoted. The point is no device should be using any data with all apps closed, wifi assist off, and sitting locked! So to you this usage may add up to nothing but yes there was a HUGE issue with the device that did add up to large amounts of data. AT&T rep from headquarters when responding to my FCC complaint noted usually when a device does this there is much much more overage but luckily this is someone who spent most of each day out of signal most days and the phone also had a battery issue they found which would explain why the battery stayed dead. Combine constant data consumption with poor battery and honestly that was a blessing or we would be talking hundreds of dollars. So this reply was not helpful and rude and clearly you were wrong!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

@lizdance40 Thank you. Yes we had checked our data and called constantly reporting we were not using the phone that much and it was always that line with excessive usage.