Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

• 

7 Messages

Fri, Dec 4, 2020 7:24 PM

CUSTOMER SERVICE ANSWER YOUR PHONES!

I have been trying to reach customer service for 9 days (I work full time) and I have been on hold for over 90 minutes each time. When I do finally reach a person they tell me I need to call Ascurion because they billed me for a 'non-return fee' on a LOST/STOLEN phone! So I call Ascurion and they tell me to call AT&T because they handle the billing!!  OMG usually these things don't get to me and I understand everyone is stressed but I'm a nurse and don't have time to be on eternal hold and get bounced back and forth. Furthermore, I refuse to pay $275 for a phone that was 88% paid for (only 2 more installments left) when it was broken and my 17 yr old could not see the screen and we took it to the repair vendor and he said could not fix it THEY STILL CHARGED ME THE DEDUCTIBLE!!! While we were trying to sort this out he lost the phone at school and we got a replacement but they are now charging me a 'non-return fee' for a device that WE DON"T HAVE!!!

And neither Ascurion or AT&T can decide who does what. Just lost a customer of 20 plus years! I'm done. 

Responses

Lockdowncraziness

Employee

• 

810 Messages

2 months ago

You agreed to return the broken phone to Asurion when you filed an insurance claim........but then your 17 year old lost the broken phone, correct? Hence the valid "non-return fee" charged by Asurion. It does not matter how much you owe on the device, it is a flat fee based on the equipment. Also, if you only owed two payments you should have just paid it off. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

We ARE paying it off - and the point is that I’m getting charged for a phone all over again. How can you return something that is missing?? 
Ascurion contract states that after certain dates or times it is possible to move device to another deductible. So customer service can answer me on this forum but not when I’m on hold for 2 hours?? Unbelievable

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

@Lockdowncraziness you missed the whole point which is Ascurion tells me to talk to AT&T to fix and AT&T tells me to call Ascurion!! Does that seem like a reasonable response for customer service? It is neither service or customer friendly and your response is not generating any good will for AT&T in our home. 

Employee

• 

810 Messages

2 months ago

This is a customer based forum. Not a way to reach customer care. No one has access to your account here. You don’t know what my job title is. Since you are being charged for not returning your old device when you made an insurance claim you need to deal with Asurion. They are the ones who get your money, not AT&T. Again, it doesn’t matter how much you owe on the phone you agreed to return, if you don’t return it Asurion will charge you. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46K Messages

2 months ago

Asurion should waive the non return fee if the phone has been lost. It is unfortunate it was lost after submitting the claim. Had you put in the claim as a lost phone initially, there would have been no issue. Your frustration is understandable. It is unacceptable for each side to tell you to call the other. At this point, you should escalate to corporate by filing an FCC or BBB complaint. 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.5K Messages

2 months ago

Sorry, but all this points to a valid charge for non return, and if you got a replacement, a valid charge for deductible.   

I don't see how At&t or Asurion is going to change anything based on the claim you submitted. 

Please stop and think.  You agreed to return broken phone, now can't.   So you get charged.  It's that simple.   Not Asurion problem your son lost the phone.    

The point you're missing is you are being charged for 2 phones.  The one your son lost, but that you had to return, and the replacement sent.    And you always had to pay off your loan. 

Sorry.   May not be the answer you want, but it's correct.

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

I understand what you all are saying and I know what my responsibilities are. Would you be expected to pay your car deductible on something they cannot fix? I just want to talk with customer service and see if my device falls under this category and this is copied directly from the contract with Ascurion : 
To see the deductible amount for your device, go to phoneclaim.com/att or call Asurion Customer Care at 888-562-8662. Some devices may be moved to a different deductible tier during their lifecycle.

if I could talk to someone maybe I wouldn’t have to be so upset that I get on this forum. I’m an exhausted nurse and I don’t have time for all of this. 

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

2 months ago

Yes, if you file a claim on your car insurance, you are responsible for the deductible even if the car isn’t fixable. 

What is the device in question!

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

I understand the deductible for a service but no service was done or completed on the iPhone XR. The repairman said he couldn’t fix it- it was black and only showing vertical lines. The phone still got calls so he had it at school - while I started a replacement claim it was lost or stolen. I paid the deductible for screen but that was not an option. And now I’m trying to see if my device qualifies to move to a different tier for deductible (as stated in the fine print) since we have already paid 88% of installments. But I can’t get Ascurion or AT&T to answer the phones. 

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.5K Messages

2 months ago

You are being charged the deductible because you were sent a replacement phone, which I assume your son is using, yes?

That's the deductible charge from Asurion. 

Since you made the claim based on a broken phone, you are being charged for not returning the broken phone because you no longer have it.

Non return charge from Asurion. 

Neither of those charges have anything to do with the loan that you took out with AT&T.

I have been self-insuring my phones for over a decade. Putting $10 a month per phone aside any fund in case anything is broken or lost.   If you're upset with Asurion, cancel.   And be your own insurance.  Unless your family are total klutzes you are going to wind up ahead.  

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

Finally got someone to listen to me and AT&T agreed that I should not pay deductible for screen repair that was never done. 
Secondly I stand corrected on the “device moving to a different deductible tier...” in the insurance contract. I interpreted that as something that was negotiable when it stated “some devices may be moved to a different tier during their life cycle...” 

I was able to talk to a human finally at the store who explained this means that as the phone gets older it may move to a different tier- NOT someone changing it manually to another tier as was my perception initially. 
This is all I asked for in the beginning was to speak with customer service not be scolded or arrogantly told what a deductible was or wasn’t. I’m well aware and reassured that I do NOT pay a deductible for a service that was not rendered (cracked screen). 
Maybe I was not clear in my grievance and frustration but before you jump on the bandwagon to give arrogant advice, you may try listening and that’s what customer service is. Looking at words from another’s perspective can give a whole new meaning. 

Get started...

Ask a new question