AT&T Community Forums
VG1234's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Fri, Feb 20, 2015 4:17 PM

Credit promised in writing not being provided by AT&T

Anyone advise please:

We bought an iPhone 6 in Sep 2014 and availed to the promotion of returning the iPhone 4S for $200 credit.  When we returned the iPhone 4S the AT&T store personnel we returned the phone could only give us $40 credit at that time and promised the rest credit ($160) will appear on our bill.  He gave us the promise in writing on the Device buyback receipt.  

This happened on 12/29/2014 - it has been close to 2 months and no credit.  He even gave me his email and phone.  No response to email or phone and letter to store manager goes unanswered.  Very surprising in the hotly competitive field for post-paid wireless customers.

Any advise on how to approach this will be greatly appreciated.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

83.4K Messages

6 y ago

The $200 buy back is subject to inspection of your phone.
You might want to track it to make sure it was recieved.
Typical turn-around is 3-4 months from the day it was sent in. So, you are looking at March/April.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

6 y ago

Hi @VG1234

I’d be happy to help with your return under our Buyback Program! Regarding the device which was returned, do any of the following apply?

• Device does not power on and off
  • LCD screen is chipped/cracked/scratched or not functioning correctly
  • Device itself chipped/cracked/scratched or otherwise damaged

This may affect the value of the device. The trade-in amount should all be provided in one amount, as opposed to the remaining $160 being applied to the bill later. It seems this device return is in-line with the current value of an iPhone 4s shown via our Buyback Promotion webpage: https://buyback.att.com/

Thanks,

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

Dear Charise:

Thank you for reaching out. We took the promotion package offered in Sep 2014 where iPhone 4S buy back was at $200 which would be returned after we got the iPhone 6. Once we got the iPhone 6 and we returned the iPhone 4S - we were promised the $200. The iPhone 4S was in good shape as indicated in the device return form attached.

At that time the sales person could only give us the $40 card and promised the rest as credit. This was provided to us in writing. Please see attached note.

After that no response (other than one email response where he promised the credit soon).

If the AT&T person could not give the $200 credit then he should not have provided that in writing.

We were not interested in returning the phone for $40 credit. To me an in-writing credit for $200 is a commitment. Please help resolve this.

The cell phone number which was upgraded is ***

Vibha [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

Hi - we returned the iPhone at an AT&T Store and the person went thru the check list and verified it was good and gave me Device Buyback Receipt in which he wrote - everything is good.

He also wrote on the receipt - credit of additional $160 on 12/29/2014 and $40 was given that day (12/28).  To me that looks like a written commitment from AT&T.  

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.6K Messages

6 y ago

@VG1234 wrote:

Hi - we returned the iPhone at an AT&T Store and the person went thru the check list and verified it was good and gave me Device Buyback Receipt in which he wrote - everything is good.

He also wrote on the receipt - credit of additional $160 on 12/29/2014 and $40 was given that day (12/28).  To me that looks like a written commitment from AT&T.  

You mention in your original post you bought the iphone 6 in Sept, but the dates given here are Dec.

I'm confused.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

83.4K Messages

6 y ago

@MicCheck

A lot of people bought iPhone 6 in September. They weren't delivered until December.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

We explained our situation to the AT&T store person in Dec 2014 and he checked with the store manager and agreed to honor our Sep 2014 iPhone 6 upgrade commitment.  

He gave us the $200 credit in writing.  I would not have returned the phone for $40 if that is all I was getting.  

The issue is the company going back on its written commitment and not about the validity of the original issue.

MR_SMiT

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

6 y ago

@VG1234 wrote:

Is this at AT&T Corperate Store, and rep wrote credit on receipt is handwritten? Credit maybe not in AT&T system. Did you PM customer care in this forum? Also, not suppose to list personal information in public forums, only in private messages.Smiley Wink 

Hardcore Pittsburgh Steelers Fan
MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.6K Messages

6 y ago

@VG1234 wrote:

We explained our situation to the AT&T store person in Dec 2014 and he checked with the store manager and agreed to honor our Sep 2014 iPhone 6 upgrade commitment.  

He gave us the $200 credit in writing.  I would not have returned the phone for $40 if that is all I was getting.  

The issue is the company going back on its written commitment and not about the validity of the original issue.

A sales person writing something on a receipt is not a written committment on behalf of the company. Anything AT&T does above what you were eligible for at the time is a customer courtesy on their part. 

Have you gone to the store where you were promised the credit to see why it was not on your account? Since someone at that store said they would honor a previous promotion, the best way to get this solved is to return to that store. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

You are right about personal information.  I thought I was responding to an email from an AT&T person.  Anyway recommendations on how to get this personal information removed will be greatly appreciated.  

MR_SMiT

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

6 y ago

@VG1234 wrote:

You are right about personal information.  I thought I was responding to an email from an AT&T person.  Anyway recommendations on how to get this personal information removed will be greatly appreciated.  

The moderators in this forum took care of it. If anybody notice personal info being listed, they flag post to let mods know.Smiley Wink

Hardcore Pittsburgh Steelers Fan

Get started...

Ask a new question