Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
A

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Mar 25, 2020 5:48 PM

Credit card from Wirecard with a refund on my AT&T bill.

I received a prepaid Mastercard from AT&T saying it has a Refund of Credit on Final Bill. As far as I know we don't have a credit on our bill. I did some research on the company Wildcard and found they had apparently bought the prepaid card business from Citibank. Does anyone know if this is a scam. I have tried several times to call AT&T and never get through.

Responses

skeeterintexas

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

1 y ago

Were you owed money on your final bill?

Looks like Wirecard is legit: https://rewardcenter.att.com/cardbalance.aspx

Don't mess with old people.  The older we get, the less "Life in Prison" is a deterrent.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

I was not owed money on my bill as far as I know? That's what threw up the red flag.

• 

3 Messages

6 m ago

How do I request a paper check?

• 

3 Messages

6 m ago

seriously your wire card does not work with my vendors.  I have replaced the card once and the new card also will not work.   Please send me a paper check.   I have attempted your site wirecard.com/att  and have not be able to get access.  Go on line is a joke.  I hade to get a password to send an email to you??? Just return your overcharge on a paper check or credit on the card you used to overcharge my account like normal business accounts.

• 

1 Message

5 m ago

My mom got a wirecard cause att owed my now deceased dad $18.40. I read the part that you could get a paper check if you go to wirecard.com/ATT. Yet if you go to wirecard.com/ATT you get a

Ooops, this page is empty!

So I just looked up wirecard and I found an article called,

Wirecard files for insolvency after ex-CEO arrested in $2 billion scandal

By Charles Riley, CNN Business

Updated 9:12 AM ET, Thu June 25, 2020

There is also a youtube video that backs that up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdYpXuwGVFg

So it looks like this wirecard lost 2 billion dollars or someone stole it, but in any case it looks like wirecard doesn't have any money. The thing I want to know is why is AT&T using this insolvent company? They need to ditch this company and just issue their own refund checks.

• 

1 Message

4 m ago

Yes, this is some kind of a scam!

This is inexcusable for a formerly respected company like AT&T to be associating with a (Edited per community guidelines) debit card scam.

I got the same thing in the mail. Tried to log on to the "wirecard.com/att" we(Edited per community guidelines)ite. It doesn't work, it forwards to a "northlane.com" we(Edited per community guidelines)ite. It also does not work. Besides the fact that as far as I know, I was not owed a refund.

If I am owed a refund, AT&T should just send a check, or credit it to my account! 

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

3 m ago

I totally agree. Hate these cards. You never get the full use of the refund anyway. I want a check!!

• 

1 Message

3 m ago

same issue, scam is on my mind. don't know why AT&T authorized this. having difficulties transferring to personal bank account. folks at wildcard were not pleasant at all to work with.

• 

1 Message

2 m ago

I received a debit card from AT&T as a refund for overpayment The card will not work at any place I've tried to use it.

• 

1 Message

2 m ago

I'd call it a legitimate scam.  It is legitimate, but lots of luck trying to use it.  They say to go to www.northlane.com/ATT but the page doesn't exist.  This is either ATT (1) trying to make money on "breakage" when people give up and leave money on the card or (2) being really stupid.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

17 d ago

if you know the exact amount of the card (it's printed on the paper it's pasted to from AT&T) then you can use it like any other credit card for the total that's on the card. You do have to Activate it first at the 877 number on the back of the card.   

I had a couple of them and registered one at northlane (it was only $6.03 so it was my burner card to test it). It looks like there's no fee just to register the card-- where they get you is if you try to use your balance through their (northlane website). 

Caveat, I couldn't find any way to add a 2nd card (I happen  to have 2... one which was near expiration date) but I knew the balance on the 2nd card so I just registered one to find out the remaining balance on the card. 

Once you know your balance for the card ... just go to a retailer where you can pay part of the balance with one card and the rest on another card.  I paid my utility bill with the two cards via their online payment.  Three transactions: one for $6.03, one for the balance on the 2nd ATT debit mastercard and 3rd for the remainder of the utility bill balance with my regular payment method.  

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

16 d ago

just got a note back from northlane: 

1. They don't charge a fee to register a card to see your balance.

2.  (this is an odd one) you have to create a new account for each and every card you register.  i guess you just create a gmail account for each card?  no idea. 

18 hours later the charge is pending on the $6.03 card I mentioned above -- neither the vendor (utility company) nor northlane has sent me any emails regarding the transaction (with a regular credit card, I get a receipt in seconds for  payment to this utility).  Debit cards "may be" held up to 7 days for funds to clear according to other things I've read.  Lets see if it takes that long in this case.  

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

5 d ago

p.s. it took a full 7 days for the funds to transfer from the cards to the account where I applied them.  But both cards applied in the total amount I expected.  

So, the steps are: 

1. Activate the card

2. Know the total amount the card is worth (northlane will tell you if you go to the trouble of registering and creating a username with them.) 

3. Charge up to the total amount on the card via one/many transaction(s) anywhere that will accept a debit card.  Don't use the northlane site to buy directly from there or you will pay additional fees to them. 

4. Wait up to 7 days for the funds to be transferred to the recipient. 

Get started...

Ask a new question