Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
NancyInTexas7's profile

• 

2 Messages

Monday, November 7th, 2022 5:16 AM

Consumer Beware: Unauthorized AT&T Next Up Fee is Automatically Added to Bill

I recently upgraded a phone in my account at the local AT&T store. I stated that I did not want the AT&T Next Up (SM) option because in a previous upgrade experience (in store as well), it was automatically added without my consent. This time, I made it very, VERY clear that I did not care for that feature and the representative assured me that it would not be added. I just received my bill and I have an "AT&T Next Up" charge for $6.00.

I know it's easily reversible, but I find it shameful that AT&T sneaks in this charge without the consumer's consent. On my previous upgrade, about 6 months went by until I looked at my ebill because I had no reason to ever believe that AT&T would add an unauthorized service to my account.

AT&T, why did this happen to me again?

1 Message

5 months ago

This AT&T scam just happened to me as well. I declined insurance on a new phone and 2 days later received an email welcoming me to the program, at a cost of $17 monthly. In working through that with a representative I learned that I was also enrolled in Next-Up, which was never discussed at the AT&T store where I purchased a new phone. Had it been discussed, I would have declined. Next-up was also added to another of my family's phones without our consent or request earlier this year. AT&T has clearly created a situation with stores that look a whole lot like fraud. These are not mistakes of communication between customers and AT&T employees. This is fraud, and AT&T could very easily resolve by requiring customers to sign off on specific added services. That will not happen because this fraud represents a significant revenue stream for AT&T. I have reported this to the FCC. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

5 months ago

@kenjhunt  This is a common sales tactic that is used a lot, especially by the AT&T Retail Stores (which are not owned or operated by AT&T or staffed with AT&T employees) and even some Corporate Stores. If you see the Next Up or Asurion insurance on your receipt or when you check your account online (which you should be doing) you have 14 days I believe to cancel, but you need to cancel. The sales rep can't or won't do that for you. Filing a complaint with the FCC and/or the BBB will just get forwarded to AT&T Corporate and someone from AT&T will contact you to discuss the issue.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

5 months ago

@OttoPylot It's the opposite--you can remove at any time, but not until the 14 day return period has run out. The only issue with waiting longer is making the billing harder to fix. You can't add Next Up after the purchase and have to add insurance within 30 days.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

5 months ago

@MicCheck  Thanks for the correction. I always get that backwards.

3 Messages

3 months ago

This just happened to me and ATT stopped the next payment but refused to credit the account.  (Unfortunately I only noticed the charge a few months in)

They had also charged us for insurance which I caught and had cancelled 

Very frustrated, I've been with ATT for decades but ready to look into a different carrier 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

3 months ago

Guess the lesson might be: "Read the bill "

3 Messages

3 months ago

The att next charge was not on the initial bill and we specifically told the representative that we didn't want att next.  Didn't realize upgrading the phone included multiple phone calls to reverse unauthorized charges

Maybe the lesson is that it's time to find a new carrier

(edited)

3 Messages

3 months ago

@aartim,

I would suggest reporting to FCC and AT&T’s abuse email (you can google it.) I was also told I could not be reimbursed for Next after being reimbursed for insurance. I emailed and submit a complaint to FCC and an executive called me the next day and reimbursed me for Next as well. He was quick to tell me the insurance and next add one without consent is not that common which I don’t believe. I think it’s important to submit complaints so they are aware of when this happens.

Also, for those saying “it’s normal” and “check your bill,” it’s an easy enough thing to overlook, especially after upgrading since there are random charges and the bill isn’t the easiest to understand. To say that it is the fault of the customer is interesting, companies shouldn’t be allowed to add features that you do not consent to. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

3 months ago

Filing a BBB or FCC complaint is definitely a way to get escalated to someone higher up who can solve issues customer service can't. You definitely should be credited up to 3 or 6 months of charges for an unrequested service. 

There are never random charges and AT&T bills are incredibly simple, though thorough. Reading the bill and ensuring the account is set up appropriately at all times is a customer's responsibility. Of course there shouldn't be discrepancies between what's there and what should be there, but sometimes there are. Fixing those after one bill is a heck of a lot easier than fixing after 3 or 6 bills, as these threads show.

1 Message

3 months ago

AT&T keep charging me for Next UpSM 

2 months ago I had to call them and after waiting to talk to the agent for hours, I was able to get a $6 credit.

To my utter surprise and frustration my most recent bills again have a Next UpSM  fee of $6.00. How can AT&T keep charging me for a feature that I never signed up for in first place, then cancelled it after I realized that they are charging me for it, and now they re-instated it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.