For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
A

New Member

 • 

25.7K Messages

Thursday, June 22nd, 2017 6:27 AM

Complaint Email for In Flight Charges without Approval?

I am absolutely furious about AT&T allowing cell service to connect with a satellite partner above 30k feet where cell towers are not expected to connect. How / who do I write to in the appropriate position with influence to hear my complaint and fix this??? 

 

When calling customer service I get offered an equivelent reimbursement only if I buy more internet services from AT&T, which has made me even more upset...

 

I paid for in-flight internet service and was charged by AT&T -- without warning or approval -- on top of my in-flight service. I absolutely refuse to pay this and regard it as exceptionally dishonest practice.

ACE - Sage

 • 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Um... Was ATT on the flight to prevent it?   Unless your phone is in airplane mode, it makes what ever connections you allow it to make.   You must keep you bill current.  

 

From Terms of service:   IF YOU DISPUTE ANY CHARGES ON YOUR BILL, YOU MUST NOTIFY US IN WRITING AT AT&T BILL DISPUTE, 1025 LENOX PARK, ATLANTA, GA 30319 WITHIN 100 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THE BILL OR YOU'LL HAVE WAIVED YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE THE BILL AND TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY LEGAL ACTION RAISING SUCH DISPUTE.

ACE - Professor

 • 

3K Messages

7 years ago

@Anonymous. Did you happen to have data roaming turn on?

ACE - Expert

 • 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago


@CaWaMobile wrote:

I am absolutely furious about AT&T allowing cell service to connect with a satellite partner above 30k feet where cell towers are not expected to connect. How / who do I write to in the appropriate position with influence to hear my complaint and fix this??? 

 

When calling customer service I get offered an equivelent reimbursement only if I buy more internet services from AT&T, which has made me even more upset...

 

I paid for in-flight internet service and was charged by AT&T -- without warning or approval -- on top of my in-flight service. I absolutely refuse to pay this and regard it as exceptionally dishonest practice.


If your phone was in airplane mode, as the FAA requires, it would not have connected to anything but WiFi. 

ACE - Expert

 • 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 In theory we have international pay-per-use. Why isn't there some settings for cruise ships and other services that have much higher rates...?

 

Seems easy enough to turn this off at att.com so when the other service connects and says "is this person really a customer" that it could reject the request.

 

 

ACE - Expert

 • 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago


@Gary L wrote:

@lizdance40 In theory we have international pay-per-use. Why isn't there some settings for cruise ships and other services that have much higher rates...?

 

Seems easy enough to turn this off at att.com so when the other service connects and says "is this person really a customer" that it could reject the request.

 


There is. At least there is on my iPhone. Data roaming set to off prevents data usage on cruise ships or any other service that is not ATT. I have no idea what sort of charges the OP got hit with but if they were data charges, data roaming off would have prevented them. 

ACE - Expert

 • 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago


@sandblaster wrote: 
There is. At least there is on my iPhone. Data roaming set to off prevents data usage on cruise ships or any other service that is not ATT. I have no idea what sort of charges the OP got hit with but if they were data charges, data roaming off would have prevented them. 

But it also prevents me from data roaming with the cellular towers on the shore (if on a cruise ship).

 

It also prevents from roaming in another country, if that's where my flight is. But on the flight my phone should be in airplane mode.

 

If I'm flying from Michigan to Florida, some wouldn't necessarily think to turn off my data roaming.

 

It just seems like AT&T should have some settings where you could disable this. Other than the few exceptions, having international day pass protects me from having cRaZy charges from roaming. Clearly they are smart enough to determine the person has a GoPhone and not enable the cruise ships for them, seems like they could do it for us...

 

 

 

 

 

 

ACE - Sage

 • 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Gee what did we do before cell phones?  We left a number of the hotel.  We didn't post to Facebook (proven to cause more stress and unhappiness).  We didn't check email or get bills.  

We relaxed.  

Vacation just isn't what it used to be.  🙁  

New Member

 • 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

That is not a good retort. I specifically changed my plan to accomodate the international serive charges where I was going, not to hitch onto satellite with a company based elswhere. I paid for wifi service on the plane and this type of connection was never an option before. It is slipping in service capability at the time of sign up to make a profit over twice the monthly bill. 

 

Pretty shady. 

New Member

 • 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

I was told to have data roaming turned on for my plan to work in Europe. So yeah, yeah I sure did.

 

 

ACE - Sage

 • 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago


@CaWaMobile wrote:

I was told to have data roaming turned on for my plan to work in Europe. So yeah, yeah I sure did. 


IN EUROPE.... Not on the plane, not on a ship.  Channeling Dr Suess here, but if you have roaming and cellular on, you will connect to things you may not want to.

To use WIFI, put your phone in airplane mode, as requested when you get on board a plane, then turn wifi back on.  

 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.