Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
T

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Sep 24, 2020 10:30 AM

Collection notice sent to me

An email was sent to me stating that my account was in cancel status, and I had been sent bill. If I did not pay bill it would be turned over to a collection agency and reported to credit. I do not have an account. I used to have a prepaid account, no longer. I considered a post paid account, but returned the phone and did not activate. I have acknowledgement from ATT that the returned phone was received by them. This collection notice is not valid. I cannot find anyplace to contact. Too troublesome.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.4K Messages

a month ago

Sometimes bill collectors will try to collect from people who don't actually owe anything. The best course of action is to dispute directly with the collector. That forces the bill collector to prove that the debt is yours. Yes they can, then AT&T would have made an error and did not have a record of your return phone and cancel service. Then you take it up with AT&T.

You should also pull your credit report and see if this is actually showing up. If it's not it's much more likely this is a bogus bill collector.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

Thank you, liz

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.4K Messages

a month ago

Good luck.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question