Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Jun 30, 2018 6:40 PM

Check your bill! ATT SCAMMING CUSTOMERS

AT&T is trying to SCAM its customers!!! CHECK YOUR BILL!!!!! They are trying to get me to pay for wireless cell service that I cancelled in APRIL!!!
when I called last month to resolve issue with a manager they said that was a mistake that it was a zero balance! NOW I get a bill for the same charge saying my bill is LATE and NOW I OWE $731.85 for a COMBINED BILL of ONE SERVICE - INTERNET!!!!????? I'm being transferred from dept. To dept and NO ONE KNOWS WHAT TO DO!!!!
I NEED ANOTHER INTERNET PPROVIDER!!!! Any recommendations please!!!
BTW ON phone WITH ATT FOR 2 HOURS WHILE BEING TRANSFERRED from dept to dept!!!!  FINALLY they tell me someone will call me back!!! STILL WAITING!!!! WHERES FINNEY ON MY SIDE,???

Responses

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

7 months ago

@Dead6516, the FTC lawsuit was about data throttling. 

Im even more convinced now you’re confused about your account. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 months ago

can't believe you make assumptions  without knowing the details. If they were charging you $400 a month for a service you didn't have with them you'd be singing another tune. Even when it was brought to their attention they knew they were wrong yet they couldn't even " fix" it.

should have sent you the bill so you can pay for it since you know everything

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 months ago

It looks as if I am only one of a long list of customers that ATT has scammed.  I ordered DirectTv and internet service for my house boat at the marina.  I was ensured when I ordered the services that they could be installed at my slip.  When the tech came out to install them he told me that he could not install the service to my slip as I as too far from the connection point.  He then left without installing anything.

I was out of town for a few months.  When I returned I found out that ATT was charging my credit card for this service although they never installed it.  I immediately notified the credit card not to pay them and call ATT customer support.  They transferred me to the billing department.

The lady at the billing department checked into it, told me that the service was never installed and I would receive a refund for the three months within 10 business days. This took several hours on the phone to resolve.

I did not receive the refund but did receive a collection notice for money ATT claimed I still owed them.

So I call the billing department again.  I told the lady I talked with what had occurred.  She checked the records, said that notes of my first call was in the record but she would check into it again.  I stayed on the line for over two hours during this call.  She then told me that the billing was in error, that she had talked with her manager and the billing would be reversed.  She also told me I would receive a refund for the three months I should have have been charged and would receive it within 10 business days.

Again This took several hours on the phone to resolve.

Instead of a refund I received another collection notice, stating that I now owe ATT $40 instead of getting the around $350 back from them.

So I called the billing department yet again.  The lady again said the notes from my calls were in the record but let her look into it.  So I again waited online where she verified what the two previous employees had already determined.  She asked me to wait on line while she talked to her manager about it.  I ask to speak to the manager but was told I couldn't.  After waiting for another period she came back online and said she had not been able to talk to her manager yet.  She said that I was due the three month refund but the manager would have to approve it.  She also said she would call me back  as soon as she got the refund approved by her manager.

She never called me.  I did not want to waste another two-three hours going through the ATT system again and decided just to forget about the $350 if that would get them off my back.  I spent several more hours on the phone trying to get this resolved.

Today I received a call from a collection agency, trying to get me to pay the $40 he stated ATT said I owed them.  When I told him ATT owed me $350 he stated I would have to dispute the claim but his records showed that I owed ATT $40.  He said he would give the information to write down so I could dispute it yet again.  I told him no, send it to me by email as I wanted it in writing.  He refused to give me anything in writing, saying I could write it down and dispute it if I did not want to pay it.

I have already disputed it three times now with ATT and have been told all three times the account was set up in error and I should not have been charged.  I have also been told three times now that I would receive a refund for the three months ATT charged me since they never provided me any service.

Now I am being told by a collection agency I will must the $40 or dispute it a 4th time.  From my viewpoint this whole process has been fraudulent on the part of ATT since they charged me three months for a service they never installed for me and have refused to pay me when their own employees stated I was due a refund since they did not install the services and I never received the services. 

I thought this was an isolated instance but after reading these posts it appears to me that ATT has a policy of scamming people and then using the fear of a bad credit report to get them to pay the false charges.

I will never have another ATT product or service in my house again.  It also appears as if I am going to have to take legal action against ATT to settle this since I will not pay them a nickel more for a service that I never received from them.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 months ago

sorry, seriously. This awful company is ruthless. I own my iPhone 7S,
they won’t release my phone. I OWN IT. Always an excuse. AT&T Customer
Service are the absolute worst!

I get transferred to 4-5 different people while talking. Did you know,
when you call AT&T Wirless or Internet, one of the repair men in my house,
told me you get a rep in the Philippines..
I have trouble understanding them!
100% DONE WITH AT&T forever!

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

6 months ago

@ed123456   Once a debt is sold and your still getting letters on a paid debt, you can and should send a cease and desist and dispute to the collector.   It is not the first time a debt collector decided to make the most of it and try to get money out of you when the debt has been cleared on the AT&T side. After all they did work to send you a couple of letters and they didn’t get anything out of it. 

Google online how to dispute a letter from a debt collector   

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 months ago

The debt never existed.  ATT billing admitted three times I should not have been billed,  stated it was in error and I would be refunded.  The first time could have been error had they corrected it and refunded my money.  The second time error was unlikely since they did not correct their admitted error but kept trying to collect from me.  The third time they again admitted the error and stated they owed me a refund but then tried to get me to pay a lesser amount. 

As far as I am concerned the fact that they did not reverse the billing and pay me the refund but instead continue to try to collect a debt they agreed I did not owe tells me they are involved in fraudulent billing schemes and use their company size and access to the credit bureaus to coerce people to pay these bills. This is my personal opinion based on how they have treated me.

I have disputed this three times already with ATT.  It is ATT's responsibility to correct their mistakes, not mine.I am not wasting another 2-3 hours on the phone trying to get them to correct this when they have not corrected it after the last three times I have wasted hours on the phone.  Each time they told me it was their mistake and would repay me, but then tried to continue to collect a debt from me they agreed I did not owe.

If this does hit my  credit report I intend to sue ATT for the damage to my reputation.  They may have an arbitration agreement to keep customers from suing them over billing disagreements but that agreement will not protect them from willful misconduct suits.  The fact they turned this over to a collection agency, harming my reputation, after agreeing three times that I did not owe them but in fact they owed me since they never installed the service, shows willful misconduct on their part by the actions they have taken against me.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 months ago

Dead6516
Tutor

Sep 27, 2019 3:14 PM - edited Sep 27, 2019 3:17 PM by ModeratorLi_Jenn

< Re: Check your bill! ATT SCAMMING CUSTOMERS

sorry, seriously. This awful company is ruthless. I own my iPhone 7S,
they won’t release my phone. I OWN IT. Always an excuse. AT&T Customer
Service are the absolute worst!

I get transferred to 4-5 different people while talking. Did you know,
when you call AT&T Wirless or Internet, one of the repair men in my house,
told me you get a rep in the Philippines..
I have trouble understanding them!
100% DONE WITH AT&T forever!>

I don't know where their service center is located but I had no trouble understanding them.  The English they spoke was as good as my English.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

6 months ago

@ed123456 wrote:

The debt never existed.  ATT billing admitted three times I should not have been billed,  stated it was in error and I would be refunded.  The first time could have been error had they corrected it and refunded my money.  The second time error was unlikely since they did not correct their admitted error but kept trying to collect from me.  The third time they again admitted the error and stated they owed me a refund but then tried to get me to pay a lesser amount. 

As far as I am concerned the fact that they did not reverse the billing and pay me the refund but instead continue to try to collect a debt they agreed I did not owe tells me they are involved in fraudulent billing schemes and use their company size and access to the credit bureaus to coerce people to pay these bills. This is my personal opinion based on how they have treated me.

I have disputed this three times already with ATT.  It is ATT's responsibility to correct their mistakes, not mine.I am not wasting another 2-3 hours on the phone trying to get them to correct this when they have not corrected it after the last three times I have wasted hours on the phone.  Each time they told me it was their mistake and would repay me, but then tried to continue to collect a debt from me they agreed I did not owe.

But you wrote they did manage to correct all but missed $40? Or did I read your other post wrong?   So it seems they did at least make some effort to correct it.  

If this does hit my  credit report I intend to sue ATT for the damage to my reputation. Reputation?  Come on, a $40 item isn’t going to ruin your reputation, or have a terrible effect on your credit.  I get the feeling your an 800+ guy, so really a blip.   And unless you tattoo your bad debts on your forehead, your reputation is not at risk.    I told you how to dispute the collector.  

They may have an arbitration agreement to keep customers from suing them over billing disagreements but that agreement will not protect them from willful misconduct suits. When the burden of proof falls on you, yeah.  And you are limited to arbitration and small claims.  Read the TOS. 

The fact they turned this over to a collection agency, harming my reputation, 🤦‍♀️  after agreeing three times that I did not owe them but in fact they owed me since they never installed the service, shows willful misconduct on their part by the actions they have taken against me.

I think you totally missed my point;  some bill collectors don’t care if the debt is legitimate or not they’re going to try to squeeze you for money and hope you’ll just pay to make them go away.  

AT&T does not pursue debts on their own. After 60 days, all debts get sold off to a collector to let them fight it out with you.    How do you know At&t didn’t correct it, and the collector is the one making a cash grab?  

The arbitration agreements or small claims agreement cover everything not just billing issues. Since you cannot place a monetary value on a bad credit item, you’re spitting into the wind on this one.  

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 months ago

If ATT sold the debt then they sold it knowing it was not legitimate, as admitted by their billing department on three different calls.  Had they corrected the illegitimate billing they would have sent me the refund their agents all agreed that I was owed.  Which they did not.

You are wrong in your other points as well about arbitration and about the ability to place a monetary value on damaging a person's reputation. Contacts can be disregarded by courts when one party acts in bad faith or where there is a huge discrepancy between the power of the parties to the contract.

You read the post wrong.  They admitted they owed me three month's payments they should not have collected instead of my owing them one month's billing.  At the end they dropped what they were trying to collect from to $40, which was about 10 days billing.  I have no idea where they came up with the $40 number as they never send me anything but a demand letter that I pay the $40.

You claim not to be an employee of ATT.  I suspect you may be an employee of their PR firm since you seem to spend a lot of time in here defending their actions.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

6 months ago

@ed123456   🙄.  Geesh, not everyone who disagrees with you works for At&t.  

I have never, will never get paid to post here. I have never and will never work for At&t or any thing connected.  I’m a semi retired dog trainer and pet care provider, who just happens to geek out on cellular and does a decent job of reading and navigating the website. 

It’s actually against a FCC rules to pay ‘shills’ or misidentify people on these forums.  

As of 8/13 I’m not even a customer anymore.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

Okay everyone!  We all know that we have zero documentation or recourse when we call and ask AT&T to cancel a phone line or service such as International service.  I have been an AT&T customer for over 30 years.  Yes.... I have been with them since cellphones were a thing.  I have definitely had my issues with them over the years but my biggest issue is that when you call them to ask them to change your plan by reducing data, changing the plan, cancelling phone lines, there is no way to document the request and to confirm it was done unless you babysit the bill every month to make sure it was done.  Who has time for that? We all have busy lives and we just expect that when we have a call with a service provider that they are doing what they said they would do.  After spending hours - like many of you on the phone with AT&T and getting passed to several departments like many of you they finally told me they would call me back tomorrow which is today.  That has yet to happen.  I spend over $10,000 a year with ATT and asked them to. cancel two ipad lines over two years ago.  They say they have no record of me asking for that so they have been charging me $10 per month for each iPad for the last 26 months.  That is equivalent to about $676 over 26 months which includes taxes. In addition, I asked them to cancel my daughters old line over two years ago and they also do not have any record of doing that.  This line was over $20 per month and so that is another $700 that I have been charged when I clearly asked them to cancel that line.  Having said this, I was at the store upgrading my phones and they told me I had 11 active lines with AT&T.  I was in shock and that is how I found out that they never cancelled the ipad lines or my daughters line.  Ironically this when I went to upgrade my phones two years ago I was told the same thing and to be fair, that is when I asked them to cancel those lines to begin with.  I had not been looking at my bills as they were on auto pay and so I had already been paying for services that I did not need but then when upgrading two years ago I remedied that by cancelling those services just to find out that those services will still active today and that I have still been paying for them for these past two plus years.  The sad thing is that now they are saying they have no record of my calling to request cancellation of these services.  What"???  Really??  Just to test it out I had my daughters line that was inactive cancelled yesterday morning  just to call back last night and be told that they "suspended" her line but did not cancel it so all that meant was that I was still being charged for it but she could not use it.  WTHECK??? Are you kidding me AT&T??  After talking with a few friends it appears that AT&T did something similar to them as well.  How can this be?  How can a multi-billion dollar company get away with these types of unethical business practices?  I recommend calling a consumer lawyer or FTC to see if they can help.  The more people that step up and expose these unethical and deceitful business practices by AT&T, the more the company will have to listen and the more they will have to examine these practices.  See https://stopthecap.com/2019/11/05/att-will-pay-60-million-in-refunds-to-throttled-and-scammed-unlimited-data-customers/. Also, do not let them transfer you to 15 different people and waste 2 hours of your time.  The minute you get them on the phone demand to speak to a supervisor and stick with one person.  They are likely unable to help you remove your problem because the company does not equip them to offer credits or refunds for substandard services or services that were supposed to be cancelled months ago.  Don't waste your time,  rather spend your time exposing these issues to the public, the government and to an attorney.  https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Account/Unethical-business-practices/td-p/5187252. Everywhere you look folks are talking bout their substandard and unethical practices.  The giant will eventually fall.  It's just a matter of time.  

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

3 months ago

@ISSUESWITH-TTA wrote:

Okay everyone!  We all know that we have zero documentation or recourse when we call and ask AT&T to cancel a phone line    True. You have to check at the end of the bill cycle to make sure.

or service such as International service. False.  You can actually see on your account, and add or remove roaming or long distance yourself. 

I have been an AT&T customer for over 30 years.  Yes.... I have been with them since cellphones were a thing.  I have definitely had my issues with them over the years but my biggest issue is that when you call them to ask them to change your plan by reducing data, changing the plan, cancelling phone lines, there is no way to document the request and to confirm it was done unless you babysit the bill every month to make sure it was done.  

I’ll give you 1 out of 3.  Changing plans or data can be done by you, and seen in your account.   Canceling lines takes effect at the end of a bill cycle, so you would check the bill that month to verify.  

Who has time for that? We all have busy lives and we just expect that when we have a call with a service provider that they are doing what they said they would do.   You mean like reading bank statements and credit card bills for accuracy?  Just this month I caught a $13 charge that showed up on my bank statement for an item I did not purchase or authorize. It was a subscription that was going to bill me monthly.  Reading through those statements is a lot more work than just verifying that my cellular bill is the amount I expect it to be every month.

After spending hours - like many of you on the phone with AT&T and getting passed to several departments like many of you they finally told me they would call me back tomorrow which is today.  That has yet to happen.  I spend over $10,000 a year with ATT and asked them to. cancel two ipad lines over two years ago.   So you haven’t read your bill in two years? One thing about AT&T is their bills are extremely detailed and every little thing is listed. If you couldn’t manage to read the bill in two years that’s on you.

They say they have no record of me asking for that so they have been charging me $10 per month for each iPad for the last 26 months.  That is equivalent to about $676 over 26 months which includes taxes. In addition, I asked them to cancel my daughters old line over two years ago and they also do not have any record of doing that.  This line was over $20 per month and so that is another $700 that I have been charged when I clearly asked them to cancel that line.   so you would’ve thought your bill would go down $40 plus maybe another eight to $10 in taxes? So your bill should’ve gone down 50 bucks 2 years ago, and you didn’t notice?  

Having said this, I was at the store upgrading my phones and they told me I had 11 active lines with AT&T.  I was in shock and that is how I found out that they never cancelled the ipad lines or my daughters line.  Ironically this when I went to upgrade my phones two years ago I was told the same thing and to be fair, that is when I asked them to cancel those lines to begin with.  I had not been looking at my bills as they were on auto pay and so I had already been paying for services that I did not need but then when upgrading two years ago I remedied that by cancelling those services just to find out that those services will still active today and that I have still been paying for them for these past two plus years.  The sad thing is that now they are saying they have no record of my calling to request cancellation of these services.  What"???  Really??  Just to test it out I had my daughters line that was inactive cancelled yesterday morning  just to call back last night and be told that they "suspended" her line but did not cancel it so all that meant was that I was still being charged for it but she could not use it.  WTHECK??? Are you kidding me AT&T??  After talking with a few friends it appears that AT&T did something similar to them as well.  How can this be?  How can a multi-billion dollar company get away with these types of unethical business practices?  I recommend calling a consumer lawyer or FTC to see if they can help.  The more people that step up and expose these unethical and deceitful business practices by AT&T, the more the company will have to listen and the more they will have to examine these practices.  See https://stopthecap.com/2019/11/05/att-will-pay-60-million-in-refunds-to-throttled-and-scammed-unlimited-data-customers/. Also, do not let them transfer you to 15 different people and waste 2 hours of your time.  The minute you get them on the phone demand to speak to a supervisor and stick with one person.  They are likely unable to help you remove your problem because the company does not equip them to offer credits or refunds for substandard services or services that were supposed to be cancelled months ago.  Don't waste your time,  rather spend your time exposing these issues to the public, the government and to an attorney.  https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Account/Unethical-business-practices/td-p/5187252. Everywhere you look folks are talking bout their substandard and unethical practices.  The giant will eventually fall.  It's just a matter of time.  

I guess AT&T can tell a customer reads their bill every month as opposed to a customer who can’t be bothered and will just pay it blindly? How do you explain that I and millions of other have never once been billed for something They canceled?
It is your job to read your bill for accuracy and report any incorrect charges in a timely manner so that they can be removed from your bill.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

AT&T is a complete scam! They charge you all of these different fees that are supposedly legit. However, when you ask about them not one single person can tell you what they are for. They add stuff to your bill without permission. They also can't seem to fix anything when you call them out on it so you have to talk to 5 different people to get one thing done. It's a complete joke and I am switching carriers. I will never again do business with this shady company!!!!!

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…