Need help understanding your bill?
D

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, January 7th, 2020 2:10 AM

Charge erroneously on our account

My husband went to our local AT&T store yesterday to buy a new phone because his was dying. We have been customers for years. As they began to finalize the transaction, a charge for $330 popped up. It has never shown up before and after some investigation it turned out to be from our son’s account. It was for DirectTV equipment they say was never received after he moved. He has had a separate account for over five years, but was on our account years ago. His account has its own account number and his address, although he and my husband have the same name. Ethan, tried to help my husband by trying to by-pass the charge. He told my husband that it would be 24 hours for the by-pass to go through. This morning, he went back and the charge was still there. We contacted our son who was told at his AT&T store that he had to provide proof that he had shipped the equipment. Meanwhile, we went back to our store and talked to Ethan again. The by-pass has not worked and he said we could call the Loyalty Department. We did this at the store on speaker with Ethan. They said they didn’t see any $330 charge in our account. Ethan explained what was going on and they said they would contact collections. After a 25 minute hold, they said that collections didn’t see the charge either and that we should be able to complete the transaction. Ethan tried to complete the transaction and our son’s charge populated onto our account halting the transaction. I called the manager, Chris, over. My husband had spoken to him earlier in the day and he was very rude, but we had spoken to everyone Ethan had suggested and did it in his presence. Chris said our son’s account must be under my husband’s SSN and began searching. He never confirmed this. He finally said that we had to either pay the $330 or provide proof that the equipment was shipped...even though it was not our liability. I asked with whom above him we could speak and he said there wasn’t anyone. I said that can’t be so. He said there was nothing else we could do and I said that there was. He asked what? I said we can report this to the BBB and the NC Attorney General’s office. He abruptly said he wasn’t talking to us anymore and told us never to come back. We were not making a scene and his treatment of us was uncalled for. At one point, as he was looking for the SSN’s, I heard him mumble about a legacy account. I am wondering if they have tagged this charge to a previous account (ours) with which our son had been previously associated? Regardless, I need to know where to get this resolved.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

Easiest solution is buy a phone elsewhere. You don’t need to buy from ATT. Otherwise, proceed with the BBB or an FCC complaint. That will get a response from corporate.

ACE - Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

A legacy account simply means the DirecTV account is under DirecTV's billing system instead of the "new" att billing system (rc1) he probably mumbled about it because he didn't understand directvs system.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.