Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Jun 11, 2017 7:44 AM

Changing data plan, then changing back.

I have a need to change my data plan for a single month, then drop back to my original plan.
The reason is that I anticipate the need for more data usage this month...which will be out of my normal range.

Is this something I cam do without penalty or surcharges(other than those assocuated with the new plan)?
Thanks,
Danny

Responses

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 years ago

One option might be to simply get a GoPhone (Unlimited?) for a month, if it's primarily data that you need?

That gives you 22GB(for the Unlimited option, others for cheaper), and then you'll only get de-prioritized, so quite a bit, depending on your current plan.  The only (big) downside is if you needed >3mbps, or HD video?

Edit: Just realized, I should mention, if you have some sort of (work, or similar) FAN discount, or can get one through an option, then many of these exclude the setup costs.

It's sort of a "numbers game", depending on how much more data you need, what plan you have, and the whole bit, as to which one is actually the best budget route.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

44.2K Messages

3 years ago

Yes you can change to a higher data plan and back without any penalties. Your bill might get messed up for a cycle or two with pro-rated charges but there are no penalties or fees to change plans. If you make the changes at the beginning of your bill cycle, you can even avoid pro-rated charges. Just make sure you are on a current plan and can change back. If you are not on a current plan and make a change, you may not be able to change back.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.4K Messages

3 years ago

The big concern is if the current plan is no longer offered. (As in my case).  If you are on a Mobile Share Value plan, you will NOT be able to switch back.  

The Advantage plan is still currently available 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

7 Messages

a month ago

Having second thought on change of plans I just upgraded a few hours ago can I switch back?

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

a month ago

Only if the plan is still available. If the plan has been grandfathered, you will need to choose a currently offered plan.

You may be able to call AT&T and have them switch you back to the old plan but if it is no longer offered, it may not be possible.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

Get started...

Ask a new question