For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
SelmaB's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, August 7th, 2020 5:32 AM

Cancelled AT&T wireless but can't get pro-rated refund

On June 9, 2020, my AT&T wireless account for two lines was terminated and transferred to another provider.

The pay period 5/29 thru 6/28 was paid for in full.  I am owed the amount from 6/9 thru 6/28, which I calculate at about $56. It might be more.

I called and spoke to the first level who had no idea why I haven't gotten the refund. She transferred me to someone (who turned out to be "Retention and Cancellation".  That person told me "WE DON'T DO THAT."   What? You don't return someone's money when they no longer have service that was paid for?  This is absurd. Something I've never seen before in years of phone service of all kinds.

Who should I contact about getting my refund?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

4 years ago

@SelmaB

Most of the people that post on this forum are customers just like you. We receive NOTHING except the satisfaction of helping other customers that are having a problem.

The not prorating final months billing has been in the terms of service for AT&T for years before the notice in 2018. For you to know that, you would have had to read the terms of service when you got your service from AT&T. Unfortunately, almost no one reads those terms of service, they just check the box and move on.

Just because they do not give you the answer that you are hoping for, does not make them condescending.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

4 years ago

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

4 years ago

@Juniper , the wireless terms of service have stated that the final bill isn't prorated for years. The 2018 notice applied to services OTHER than wireless (those listed in the update). 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

If you live in California, Illinois, and New York you still will get a prorated amount as laws in those states are they have to refund.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

4 years ago

@MicCheck 

Fair enough. So no prorating for them has been for much longer. So even further nothing to dispute, unless in one of the exception states.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

@SelmaB  Just an FYI, you might want to read your new carriers terms of service. With the singular exception of Google Fi, no US carrier pro rates their final bill. You will see some wording in every carrier’s terms of service that indicate that you pay month-to-month, for the full month, with no proration for terminating your service early. 

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Hi! I was told over the phone I get pro-rated funds when I canceled. That was my very first question to the operator as I was only a few days into the beginning of my billing cycle.

If anyone here from At&t reads this, let me know what's up now in 2023. I have the date of my call, my cell number, etc. I would have waited to cancel had she not said that. 

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

@audreyambika The rules have not changed, the final month is still not prorated. That agent gave you false information. 

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Thank you so much for the prompt response @sandblaster !

Well, at least now I know I won't return to At&t when I return to the US. Dang.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

1 year ago

@audreyambika 

This policy is true for any us carrier not just AT&t. If you go to any service providers website and read their cancelation information. None of them prorate service.    You pay month to month. And we prepay you pay in advance and there is no refund for unused service.

So whether it's verizon, t-mobile, consumer cellular, cricket, Metro by t-mobile, visible, or any other service provider you can think of. You pay for a month of service and it is not prorated or refundable.

In fact I don't know if any service provider that provides monthly service and prorates the final months service anywhere in the world. If you buy prepaid in another part of the world you are paying in advance for a specific amount of time or usage. Any unused time or usage is not refundable

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.