Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
TyJelly252's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, December 26th, 2018 7:54 AM

Canceling with AT&T

I am writing to AT&T about why I am choosing to terminate my services. 

I traveled to Asia for 2 weeks on November 10-25, 2018. During this time, I was alerted a text message from AT&T that I had incurred international data roaming charges exceeding $180 and was told to call AT&T right away. This date was on November 24, 2018. 

I spoke with agent John and he let me know that on November 10 and 11, I had incurred international data roaming charges of $180. John said not to worry, he can offer a solution. 

On this date, November 24, John said that he will take care of these charges and apply what he calls the “International Data Plan” onto my account starting on November 10. By applying this international data plan, it will remove the $180 charge and only charge $10 per day for usage since it is being re-rated. John said that on the bill comes out for November 10 and 11, I will have to call AT&T to do a re-rate of this charge and that AT&T will remove the $180 charge. John said that I would have to pay the $511.52 for the November billing cycle first and get the credit back next month in the amount of $180. 

As of December 25, 2018, my November billing cycle of $511.52 has been paid off. I had just received the December billing cycle in the amount of $326.83. I do not see any credit back for the international data roaming charges for the November billing cycle. 

I called in on December 25, 2018 in the afternoon and first spoke with Ramario about this incident and he said he was from the billing department. Ramario tried to look into this and was not able to further help and suggested that he transfer me over to the Wireless department. I was on hold for 3 minutes and no one connected with me. I hung up after no response for a total of 5 minutes. 

I called back and got in touch with another representative named Sabrina. I explained to Sabrina about my situation and she repeatedly said that there are no notes in my account stating back to my conversation with John on November 24, 2018. At that point, I do not think Sabrina understood my situation and I suggested to speak with a supervisor. After being on hold for 3 minutes, I was never connected with a supervisor and was left to hang up to call AT&T back again.  

On my 3rd attempt to call AT&T, I was able to connect with Felicia. Same with Sabrina, I explained to Felicia my situation and Felicia too said that there are no notes dating back to November 24 about my conversation with John. At this point, I was not even upset with Felicia anymore. I was furious at the fact that John did not do his job right from the beginning and left out some of the most important notes about our conversation. 

Felicia let me know that the only note she found was on December 7 with an agent name John about me discussing my DirectTV services and getting a credit back for next month’s billing cycle. That is when I asked Felicia, how is it possible that there is a note about me getting a credit back for next billing cycle, but the note does not state the dollar amount. Right at this moment, I knew that AT&T is either not doing their due diligence or not training their agents properly. From a customer’s standpoint, if I’m having to call you this many times about this issue and go through this many agents and still not have my problem solved, there is a serous problem with how AT&T provides services to their customers.  

I find it really upsetting that John did not go in detail on his notes about me getting a credit back for the international data plan. According to John, he stated to me that this would not be an issue, and that AT&T was going to handle it. This conversation happened on November 24, 2018. I would hope by recording my voice over the call on this date could help AT&T investigate what John and I had conversed about. 

There has been a number of inconsistent communication issues with AT&T, and I am appalled these incidents are being repeated. I remember 2 years ago I called into AT&T about a billing question and was confident the agent had entered thorough notes into the system about our conversation. It wasn’t until a week later when I followed up about this issue I found from the next agent that there were no notes in their system about this matter. I was upset to say the least, but this incident today triggered an unpleasant experience I had with AT&T previously, and today’s incident just reminded me why I need to terminate my service with you. 

Also, I wanted to share with you that I’ve found it extremely irritating that each time I connect with a customer service rep from overseas (Philippines), there is a high volume of chitter chatter noise in the background with the reps I’m speaking with, which is unprofessional, distracting, and insensitive of my time. 

I do not feel that my AT&T values my business. I have come to realize that AT&T has a broken operational system and that its agents are improperly trained as demonstrated by not being able to follow through a simple task of documentation notes. For these reasons, I have decided that my time with AT&T is coming to a close. 

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

First of all, this is a customer-to-customer forum with only light moderation from AT&T. Since you don't need to announce to fellow customers that you plan to switch carriers, I'm assuming you expect your threat to cause a response from AT&T. You most likely won't get it here, other than an offer from a moderator to send them a private message.

What jumps out to me about your story is that every time you called AT&T, you would hang up when you were put on hold. If you find five minutes an unbearable amount of time to be put on hold, you should have given up on the credit because that's going to happen. There are people on this forums who've spent up to a half-hour or longer on hold with AT&T to get resolution.

As for the international charges, none of this would have happened if you had checked to make sure you had an international plan before you left. That means it's not AT&T's fault that you got this huge bill. It's yours.

It's also not AT&T's fault that you didn't get the credit. What the first rep suggested is what's called a "rerate," where someone is nice enough to pretend you had the international plan you should have gotten to begin with. It's neither required or expected, so even if John had put in the notes that he made the offer, that doesn't mean anyone would honor it. A credit of $511 would have to go to a supervisor and a supervisor's supervisor, and there's no guarantee it would have been approved.

You can cancel service with AT&T, but it probably won't get your credit. And if you decide to switch carriers and travel to Asia without putting an international plan on your account or using a local carrier, the same thing will happen, so I don't see how that solves anything.

Enjoy your new phone carrier.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.