Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Aug 1, 2019 8:38 PM

Bogus Upgrade Fee

I have been with AT&T since 2015 when I bought a Galaxy S6; so clearly that phone has been paid for years ago. Earlier this July (2019) my phone died - motherboard gone. I had no choice but to buy a new phone. I received my first bill and notice I've been charged a $30 upgrade fee. I called and spoke w/ three customer service people, none of which could explain why I had an upgrade fee, they just kept saying over and over again that it's a legitimate charge. The only understanding I could get was that - I, A LOYAL AND LONG TERM CUSTOMER - am being charged for the privilege of  being able to buy a $900 phone from AT&T and continue to pay a monthly bill. I'm not on contract - I didn't receive a new phone for free as part of some promotional deal. Its not as if I could have purchased a phone equivalent to my 2015 Samsung. Any device would be an upgrade but how in any way have you as a business upgraded my service? I want this waived, its bad customer relations. When its time to replace the phones of my family members...we will take our business elsewhere for no additional bogus fees. You could at least be honest up front; I had to wait for my bill to know this was even a thing. 

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

36.1K Messages

8 months ago

Perhaps you didn’t know since it’s been so long since you bought a phone but the upgrade fee has been there as long as I’ve been a customer which is going on 17 years. The amount has changed several times over the years but it has always been there.  I think they are very up front about it so not sure why you were surprised by it. They used to regularly waive the upgrade fee in the 2 year contract years, not anymore. Even ATT employees don’t get it waived. You don’t have to buy from ATT but be aware that the upgrade fee will be charged no matter who you buy it from if you buy it on a Next plan. The way to avoid the upgrade fee is to buy a sim free phone from someone else. I bought a sim free iPhone XR from Apple, no upgrade fee.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.4K Messages

8 months ago

You’re pretty much paying $30 for getting a Sim card that’s all set up for you to use. 

If you don’t want to pay the $30 upgrade fee, then don’t buy a phone from AT&T.     If you pay full price for phones you can walk into a place like Best Buy, select the branded phone, tell them you’re a prepaid customer and you will not pay the upgrade fee. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

I bought a phone for my mom from Best Buy. She removed the sim card from her phone and put it in the new phone. She was charged $30 upgrade fee. Does that make sense? According to your post, since she didn't get a sim card set up for her to use, she should not be charged, right? Thanks

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

8 months ago

@MyCoinsCount wrote:

Any device would be an upgrade

Well, it seems like you've answered your own concern. 

but how in any way have you as a business upgraded my service?

Your service has been upgraded numerous times over the past 4 years and, depending on the plans you've selected, your monthly cost could easily have gone down. 

I want this waived, its bad customer relations. When its time to replace the phones of my family members...we will take our business elsewhere for no additional bogus fees. You could at least be honest up front; I had to wait for my bill to know this was even a thing. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.4K Messages

8 months ago

@MyCoinsCount wrote:

I have been with AT&T since 2015 when I bought a Galaxy S6; so clearly that phone has been paid for years ago. Earlier this July (2019) my phone died - motherboard gone. I had no choice but to buy a new phone. I received my first bill and notice I've been charged a $30 upgrade fee. I called and spoke w/ three customer service people, none of which could explain why I had an upgrade fee, they just kept saying over and over again that it's a legitimate charge. The only understanding I could get was that - I, A LOYAL AND LONG TERM CUSTOMER - am being charged for the privilege of  being able to buy a $900 phone from AT&T and continue to pay a monthly bill. I'm not on contract - I didn't receive a new phone for free as part of some promotional deal. Its not as if I could have purchased a phone equivalent to my 2015 Samsung. Any device would be an upgrade but how in any way have you as a business upgraded my service? I want this waived, its bad customer relations. When its time to replace the phones of my family members...we will take our business elsewhere for no additional bogus fees. You could at least be honest up front; I had to wait for my bill to know this was even a thing. 

Riiiiight.  Because no other carrier charges upgrade fees.  Verizon charges $40 activation, $20/40 upgrade.  T-mo charges $15.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

You all must be paid to tell customers to accept "whatever".

And if not, you all need to take an "I can" approach to life.

I received my bill credit for the entire amount that I requested.  

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.4K Messages

8 months ago

We are customers, we don’t get paid anything.   Just because you got a credit, doesn’t mean it works for everyone.  

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

8 months ago

@MyCoinsCount wrote:

And it does not mean on review they wont take it away or that they didnt flag your account for next time.  My Fan discount gets my fees waived.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

8 months ago

@MyCoinsCount wrote:

Great! I have better things to do with my time than quibble of small charges for services I request, but if getting a bill credit makes you happy, then more power to you.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 months ago

I have better things to do with my time, too. Which is why I won’t be arguing with ATT over this scammy fee that I can avoid by buying my phone elsewhere and saying “prepaid”? 

And then I get to argue over how I have to buy the insurance and then call to cancel the next day? I don’t have time for that either.

I don’t even have time to figure this out. I stay with ATT because it is convenient. So I will continue to stay since I just had to wade through your “used car salesman” policies. 

But next time I need a change I will spend my time shopping around instead of arguing with you.

And you know what? I was just going to let the $30 fee go and pay it. Until I was then told I *had* to get insurance. Basically I felt dirty after walking out of your store. That I had to go to because I couldn’t get your web site to work. The opposite of convenient.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.4K Messages

5 months ago

@CherRaz  No point making 3+ posts when the same people see them, and At&t doesn’t care.  Change your buying habits and avoid At&t sales entirely 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 months ago

Why are you on this forum monitoring every post?

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

I purchased my own SIM free iphone through another vendor and connected it remotely myself, but was nevertheless charged this unilateral "upgrade" fee of $30, plus $2.40 in tax on a family plan I have haf for MANY years. After 30 minutes on the phone with 2 CSRs (one overseas, and one here in the states), they waived only $16.02. They were unable to explain how they could charge for a transaction none of their people were involved with, and which I never agrred to--- nor could they explain the exorbitant anmount of such a fee, or their logic in giving me only a partial refund. Seems that a (Edited per community guidelines) attorney needs to investigate.

(edited)

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…