Need help understanding your bill?
A

• 

4 Messages

Friday, October 23rd, 2020 9:19 PM

Billing after death

My brother died unexpectedly July 17th. My sister-in-law could not cancel his service (which she also has with AT&T & billed together) until she had the death certificate. Ok, if that’s the rule. However I think an official obituary should suffice. Anyway, due to Covid and everything taking longer to happen, we did not get the death certificate until mid October. All the while, she is dealing with everything you deal with when you loose a spouse, not to mention loosing their income too. Now that she has presented the death certificate, they are going to give her a credit of $10.00 (yes, ten) though she has continued to pay his service (not being used obviously) since July. This is the worst form of taking advantage of someone. Once presented with the required death certificate, you should as decent humans, credit her the amount she has paid on his line. Give me a break man. As if this should even have to be brought to your attention. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

A death certificate is only required if she did not know the security PIN code for the account.  If she knew that number, she could have canceled over the phone.  
    Don’t know why the delay in getting a death certificate.  They are issued (multiple copies) by the mortician.   My fathers were available in just a couple days.  Something about that seems fishy. 

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I don’t know what you mean by “something seems fishy”. The death certificate/autopsy is only ready when it’s ready....who would lie about that? 

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

And yes they would not help her without the death certificate. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

3 years ago

She can certainly file a complaint with the BBB.  Others have reported that in doing so, they were contacted by someone from the OOP.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

Back in April there was a back log of 2 weeks in NYC because of a high death rate.  There were more deaths than could be handled or interred, not enough funeral homes.   That was no longer a problem in June or July.   No county has reported a delay of 3 months.  I’m not saying she’s lying, I’m just saying perhaps she was not aware of how to get more copies because the charge per copy.  

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Oh my word please help

me here. It is not about her being able to get more copies. We did not receive it at all until October. You can’t get more copies if the original was not ready until October. Was there an investigation and autopsy on your father? If not, then I don’t think you understand the circumstances that I was trying to omit for the sake of privacy. The point is, no matter what, she was charged for 3 months of service. The decent thing to do is credit someone in that circumstance. 

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

Since they do credit back 3 months, yes. 

I would do as Skeeter suggested and file a Better Business Bureau complaints

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.