Need help understanding your bill?
Rawben's profile

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

Monday, May 16th, 2022 10:33 PM

$$$ BILL $$$$ - Changed service and phones

A couple of weeks ago we purchased new phones and changed our service (as we were told it was less expensive to switch from our unlimited plan to the new Military and Veterans Appreciation plan).  

We paid the upgraded monthly fees in full for our 36-month commitment ($500 for the Samsung Ultra 21 and $50 for the Samsung 21 base phone).  

My new bill is outrageous and phone support wasn't able to advise me what my "new" bill will be next month.  The offshore support told me they aren't allowed to quote monthly fees. How or who can help me with this information?  

We are aware there's an insurance fee of $17 per phone if we choose to keep it on the bill, so we know our bill will have this small increase, but from what I'm seeing we're looking at over $100 more per month. :( 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

as we were told it was less expensive to switch from our unlimited plan to the new Military and Veterans Appreciation plan

Huh? There is no Military and Veteran Appreciation plan, what you get is a 25% discount on any of the existing unlimited data plans. If you had a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you probably could have gotten the 25% discount on that too. In any event, you likely switched to one of the three current unlimited plans.

My new bill is outrageous and phone support wasn't able to advise me what my "new" bill will be next month

Have you actually gotten a bill or is that the projected bill? If it’s the projected bill, pay no attention to it, it’s wrong. Those projected bills are infamously wrong because they don’t include any discounts. You should be able determine what your bill will be by looking at the military discount plan page.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

2 years ago

Are you looking at an actual bill or the customer service summary?

Your military discount is not included until it's approved. Is your 25% military discount listed on your bill?

The new unlimited plans require auto pay and paperless billing for a $10 per line discount which is stackable with your military discount. This discount is not given until you are signed up for autopay and paperless billing and your first bill is paid with those discounts included.  You signed up for both auto pay and paperless billing?

Were your new phone purchases on some sort of trade-in deal which will give you credits discounting the final cost of your phone by $700 or $800?   Was it explained to you that the credits do not start for 3 Bill Cycles at which point you will receive credits for any missed in the previous Bill?

You might want to review what your insurance options are. You are paying for more than just basic insurance which is half the $17.

Insurance is not required. If you feel you are the sort of people who might break or lose a phone or might have one stolen and you do not want to have to pay to replace a $1,000 or an $800 phone, then by all means consider keeping insurance but reducing it to the basic insurance plan. If you have never broken lost or had a phone stolen in your entire life because you are just that careful (I'm one of those) then you can cancel insurance if you like. 

Or you can look around and see if there's third-party insurance which is cheaper than what AT&T offers with just as good coverage

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.