NRJJMD1234's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Feb 2, 2019 2:23 AM

Beware: AT&T BOGO

AT&T BOGO Fraud?

I needed a new phone in March of 2018. I was considering getting a new one through my current provider Verizon. My husband talked about maybe switching over to his plan at AT&T which he had been with for over 10 years. We also have internet with AT&T. We went into the AT&T in our local mall and were told about a Samsung BOGO deal ending that day if we ported a line. So, we bought two new phones and ported my line over. Keep in mind, my husband didn't need a new phone, but it was a “good deal.” (Purchased 2 Samsung Galaxies, an S8 and S8+ on March 31st, 2018)

It was explained that we would be charged the full price for the first 3 months, then receive our refund and only be charged for the more expensive phone. During the process, I had pointed out to the sales representative that I couldn't understand where in the paperwork the BOGO deal was. He said that the paperwork is for the full phone purchase, and the BOGO deal is on our account and will just “go in to effect”. I did NOT like the sound of that, but I said ok. Shame on me for trusting, I knew better.

Fast forward to long after 3 months, we are still being charged for both phones. My husband and I go into the store with the mindset of, "oh, something must have just not kicked in, no worries, it will be fixed". The manager at the store said, "yeah, you qualified. I don't know why it hasn't kicked in. We will call you in a few days after we open up a case with corporate." Surprise, we did not receive a call back so I decided to call corporate myself.

This is where it goes downhill. I am then told that 1) the manager never opened the case, and 2) that looking further into the BOGO deal, the Samsung phones we purchased DID NOT qualify for the BOGO deal. WHAT!? So, an AT&T’s sale representative either was ignorant on the details of the deal or flat out LIED to us to sell some phones and get a commission? My husband has a perfectly working phone and I left my carrier and ported over to you for WHAT? To be lied to? To pay for a free phone? The stress and anger of being screwed over?

If I screwed up at my job, my company would fix the issue with the client, and then deal with how the issue came to occur. Is this fraud, an honest mistake, lack of training for their representatives? Either way, AT&T needs to stand behind THEIR representatives. I trusted THEM. If they will not stand behind their own employees, why would I trust them?

You try to educate yourself and understand what you are signing, but just like buying a car, or buying a home, its overwhelming and there is a lot that goes into it. So, you trust these representatives to guide you down the right path.

Corporate opened a case and said I would receive a call back within 3 or 5 days. I never received a call back, so my husband and I paid a visit to the store. We explained our situation and even the sales representative agreed that “yeah, sounds like the other rep didn’t understand the BOGO and sold you phones under false pretense.” We then called corporate together in the store to see if we could get it straightened out. Corporate said that would need proof that the store was honoring the Samsung BOGO to the full end date. Well, the rep said they didn’t have anything laying around with those details on it. So instead, he said he would have the store manager get the district manager involved and get back to us soon.

Well, we are waiting, very patiently, for this to handled. No correspondence has occurred, we were just charged again for both phones and we plan to pay another visit to the store soon. I’ve searched for AT&T BOGO fraud and felt sick to my stomach with the amount of forum posts I found and people this has happened to. I feel like this is losing battle.

If this is not handled in a proper way, I plan on leaving AT&T as soon as possible. I am at a stage in the contract where I can cancel the internet. Then, when we can, I will cancel the phones and move to a different, more honorable company.

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

3 y ago

It would help to have exact purchase date and which phones you bought.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

Hello, we purchased 2 Samsung Galaxies, an S8 and an S8+ on March 31st, 2018. 

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

3 y ago

The only BOGO I’m finding in those dates here:  https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1236446?isreauth=true&gsi=2RU62jgi

It says the S8 family phones BOGO ended on March 15.  

I cannot confirm this is why.  

I suggest you file a BBB complaint.  They forward to AT&T upper management.  You may get the same answer, but it worth a try and there may be a BOGO I can’t see anymore.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

Thank you @lizdance40 for providing the link and advice.

That is the date that corporate told us. Even when the sales representatives heard that in the store, they were surprised. They said typically the BOGOs all have the same start and end dates, so this was a strange occurrence. Which is probably why the sales rep who sold us the deal was not aware.

I will update the post as events occur. The rep who was trying to help us had given us his phone number so I just sent a follow up text to see if the store manager was able to get in contact with the district manager. I have a feeling he didn't even try.... but we will see. 

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

3 y ago

The promotions start and end at all different times.  It is strongly recommended that one read the sales page for expiration dates.  Often deals don’t have an expiration date, so don’t take a deal you can’t confirm.  

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.