Need help understanding your bill?
awstta's profile

1 Message

Thursday, November 30th, 2023 1:10 AM

BAIT and SWITCH- $180 phone actually costs $611+++

I went into the ATT store in Naples Plaza in Naples Florida. I indicated that I wanted to take advantage of an iPhone 14 promotion for $5.00 a month. I further indicated that I wanted no other changes to my plan. I specifically said that I wanted the same insurance on the new phone as I had on my old phone. The salesman told me that he was saving me money by changing my insurance to a plan that would cover all four devices on my plan rather than insurance on each of my three phones. When I got home I had an email from ATT estimating that my new ongoing charges would be approximately $270 mo. compared to $241 on my current bill. After an hour on the phone with customer service I was told that my ongoing bill would actually be $257mo. They told me that the insurance plan I had previously for $8 mo had been a grandfathered plan which is no longer offered and once changed could not be changed back.  My $180 phone (5x36) was now going to cost $576 ($16x36) plus a $35 upgrade fee for a total of $611   The $11 increase has no 36 month term so who knows how much it will cost in total thus $611+++ This is a deceptive business practice by any definition. 

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

3 months ago

Well that email is called the customer service summary, and it's always wrong. I don't even know why they send it.

And it would have included one-time charges and prorated charges related to you purchasing a new phone.

As for the phone itself that $5 a month deal is based on the base storage model iPhone.  If you purchased an iPhone with more storage, the credit stays the same, but the cost of the phone is higher.. 

If you cancel early you owe the remainder of the phone and no more credits are forthcoming.

If you had read the deal for the iPhone 14 $5 offer, all this was explained.  (Or any phone offer)

This is how all the carriers phone deals work.   

And he's correct when you purchase a new phone and buy insurance you can no longer get the $9 insurance. The insurance is now either 14 or $17 depending on the price of the phone you just bought.  The insurance for 4 is cheaper. Just make sure if you have individual insurance on any other line that you cancel it

You could also buy third party insurance if that's what you want. If you bought an iPhone you should be buying AppleCare.

Not a bait and switch.  You didn't read what you purchased. You didn't read the deal online. And you didn't read your purchase documents which would have explained all this

(edited)

• 

139 Messages

3 months ago

So ditch the insurance and get applecare instead

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

3 months ago

https://www.att.com/buy/phones/apple-iphone-14.html

Btw, if they added $6 Next up, You will want to cancel that after 14 days. They won't let you cancel it before the return window closes. After 14 days you can call AT&T and have them remove the $6 early upgrade fee and credit the fee if they charged you. You are not required to pay that. If you want to take full benefit of the deal you got, you do not upgrade early

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 months ago

If the $45 Protect Advantage for 4 was added, make sure the stand-alone insurance was removed from the other 3 lines. Assuming no other changes were made (you can check that yourself online), insurance will be $13 more a month going forward (4 x $8 = 32 - old plan; $45 - new plan) and $5 more a month for the next 36 months. 

They should have said up front that you had to change insurance rather than framing it as a benefit to you, and especially not said it would be less expensive, but it is what it is. You couldn't keep the old insurance and upgrade the phone.. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.7K Messages

3 months ago

AppleCare+ will be a bit more expensive but it is far superior to anything that AT&T offers. Worth it if you feel you need insurance.

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

3 months ago

And you should probably read the offer.  

https://www.att.com/buy/phones/

This is how all these deals run. They are not about giving you a break on a phone, it's about keeping you tied to the service provider long enough to make money back on the service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.