Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
dgs7949's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Oct 6, 2015 4:19 PM

AT&T won't let me out of my contract on a returned IPhone 6 within the 14 day "cooling off" period

- I had an upgrade coming up with AT&T, so I purchased my IPhone 6 from the Apple store, they took care of setting up the new contract with AT&T right in the store...
- After having the phone for 4 days, I returned the phone to the store and got out of my contract with AT&T (so they said).
- I went into the AT&T store, they gave me a sim card for my old IPhone and I walked out of the store happy.
- Fast forward….Even though it shows on my AT&T bill that I have a IPhone 4s, I am still being charged monthly for the 6 that I returned, and still locked into the contract.
- I called AT&T 3 times now about the problem, they told me I had to talk to Apple about it, because it was the Apple store's responsibility to notify AT&T that the phone had been returned.
- When I went to the Apple store, they told me that they took care of everything on their end and printed the receipt along with the return receipt which also referenced my cell number.
- I called AT&T and told them I had documentation that the phone was returned, serial number, IMEI, etc. they told me there was nothing they could do to help me and that I can't get out of my contract until Apple contacts them.
- Back to the Apple store I go today.

I feel like a little kid in the middle of 2 bully's being pushed back and forth, no one wanting to take responsibility or help me...

14 years a loyal AT&T customer, that doesn't matter to you AT&T, when I told you that T-Moble is buying out contracts...The woman told me, that they would want my IPhone 6 and not the 4s that shows up on my account!  I'm sure this post won't do anything to help my situation and after hours working on this plus all the driving around, I'm exhausted!  But I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!! 
What next? What do I do?
HELP!!!
Dorothy

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.3K Messages

5 years ago

If you purchased from Apple, it is Apple that didn't process the return properly.  Take your proof of return to Apple and get them to process properly.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Well I just started with them and I only had services for 5 days I have no coverage in my area for the hotspot when I tryed canceling the services they told me that I would loose my money I paid and loose the hotspot I paid for and they want to charge me another fee of 45.00 they really are a bad company  I will have them on my credit report because they just wont release me from there services 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.3K Messages

3 years ago

@daveyboy50 wrote:

Well I just started with them and I only had services for 5 days I have no coverage in my area for the hotspot when I tryed canceling the services they told me that I would loose my money I paid and loose the hotspot I paid for and they want to charge me another fee of 45.00 they really are a bad company  I will have them on my credit report because they just wont release me from there services 

@daveyboy50

So you only have the hotspot with ATT?  No phones?

If service didnt work out, you can return the device within 14 days, in same condition, with packing, pay restock fee.  There is no refund for services.   If they won’t take it back, file a BBB report against the store in question.  Be aware it all stores are owned by ATT.  You may be dealing with a retailer.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Well I have been to all the att stores its like they want me to stay in the contract and be unhappy but I am not and will not pay for a device that is not working for me so if the continue to treat me this way they will not get a penny from me
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.3K Messages

3 years ago

‘All the ATT stores’.   How about the one you made your purchase in?   If you purchased at Best Buy, you return at B.B.  if you purchased with an ATT authorized reseller, you must go back to that store.  

What aren’t you telling us?  Have you damaged or altered the device?  Because there is no reason not to take a return unless you did.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

It is still in the shape I bought it in they told me I would not get no money back and that I would have to pay a 45 dollar restock fee if I cant use it and it don’t work right why wouldn’t they just tell me to bring it back we will give you your money back for you to accuse me of doing something to it is really upsetting to me as a costomer and to everyone else that may read this that’s probly how you get out of paying a refund to people you accuse them of destroying the device so you don’t have to pay money out you just put it back and keep reselling it over and over I wonder who is getting all the money from that sevice
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.3K Messages

3 years ago

@daveyboy50

They didnt accuse you of anything. I asked you why they wouldnt take it back.  If you refuse to accept the restock fee that is why.

The restock fee is $45. Just pay it and return the device.  Why are you making a big deal about it?  The restock fee should be in the return policy on the sales slip.  Read it.

Once a device is sold and used, it can’t be sold as a new device.  It would be resold at a lower price and used.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Because I went to you guys and you told me and assured me I had great service in my area and I don’t you guys don’t even know how to look and tell if people have good coverage in there area you guys are more about selling a product instead of making sure the costomer can use it so I am not willing to pay the restock when I was not really able to use it that makes no sense so you are telling me I cant use it so bring it back so we can charge you more money and you dontr have the device no more and now you paid for the device and a 45.00 restock fee so like 77.00 what is wrong with that picture lol
MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

3 years ago

@daveyboy50 wrote:
Because I went to you guys and you told me and assured me I had great service in my area and I don’t you guys don’t even know how to look and tell if people have good coverage in there area you guys are more about selling a product instead of making sure the costomer can use it so I am not willing to pay the restock when I was not really able to use it that makes no sense so you are telling me I cant use it so bring it back so we can charge you more money and you dontr have the device no more and now you paid for the device and a 45.00 restock fee so like 77.00 what is wrong with that picture lol

Punctuation, please!
No one can say for certain if you'l have service "in your area." That's why there's a 14-day return period. 

You still have to pay the restocking fee, because they will have to restock the device. 

Get started...

Ask a new question