Need help understanding your bill?
T

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, October 2nd, 2021 4:30 PM

AT&T wasting my time and doing everything possible to deny my trade-in credits

I traded in 5 devices and switched to AT&T in May, and I found out that for 2 devices I was receiving half the promotion amount and for 1 device nothing at all.

I'm not going to do the full spiel here, but basically I've talked to 7 different people in 4 different departments totaling over 3 hours of talk time (not including the hours of hold time) with AT&T about this.

For the 2 devices receiving half credit, it was 100% AT&T issue. It took 3 escalations to get it, but they said it would be resolved in 3 billing cycles. I don't know why it would take 3 billing cycles to fix a mistake they made in 1 billing cycle, but okay I'll wait and see.

Now the one device with no trade-in credit, at first they said the screen was broken, and now they're saying the activation lock was on the phone so it was appraised at $25. They said I should have been notified of the status (I wasn't) and that I should have received a gift card (I didn't). But one of the other supervisors said the device was fine and appraised at $120 so I should be receiving the full promotional credit. Which is it?

After the escalation department basically told me that I was screwed out of $800 for a phone I didn't need, I did some research and found that I should probably file a Notice of Dispute. So I did. After spending hours detailing my chronicles of how I got there, the website froze at the (presumably) last page before submitting (see picture). All of my other tabs are working but Notice of Dispute tab has been spinning loading for the past HOUR.

Now I have no idea if my notice got submitted, and I'm afraid to reload the tab because it might undo all of my progress. So I call AT&T to see how I could resolve this, and of course no one knows what I'm talking about and they refer me to the wrong department.

They have effectively blocked me from every recourse I'm trying to take because they can't give me a straight answer as to why my trade-in credits do not apply.

This has got to be THE WORST experience I have had with any company ever. 

Will say 9 out of the 10 total AT&T reps I have talked to have been very professional and helpful. But these practices are very upsetting.

As I was writing this, I decided to reload the tab. It brought me back to the first page before I file the dispute. Unfortunately not a single part of this post is exaggerated.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

Just a little information for your file going forward. AT&T doesn't keep these phones and probably never saw any of your phones. The trade-in promotion phones are all sent directly to a third-party recycler called HYLA. 

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

@lizdance40  okay that's great but shouldn't there be some degree of accountability for the phones? The phones going to a separate company doesn't absolve AT&T of the responsibility in upholding their deal.

Also, the supposed number for "HYLA" I received from the escalation department just led back to the wireless department so either AT&T doesn't want me to communicate with HYLA or they're incompetent. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

Didn't say it does.   

But it means At&t is taking the word of a trusted 3rd party, based on what they have in hand. 

• 

50 Messages

3 years ago

"...it means At&t is taking the word of a trusted 3rd party,..."

Sorry, Liz, but I had to laugh at the thought of AT&T trusting a company and possibly discovering that their trust was misplaced.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

@LoyalCustomer60

Why shouldn't they trust?  If you're  paying a company for professional service you expect them to be professional.  

Packages get damaged, poorly packed phones get damaged.  And people forget to factory reset. 

If a Phone isn't factory reset it has little value to the recycler.   Therefore, no trade in credits.

People don't take phones to P. O. And they never get checked in for tracking.  Lost or stolen, no credits can be given. 

I read posts on this forum on almost a daily basis from someone who has purchased a phone that was supposed to be unlocked, and is either carrier-locked or user locked. 

(edited)

• 

50 Messages

3 years ago

Understood. I just thought it a teeny bit ironic if AT&T trusted some other company to do what it said it was gonna do, and AT&T was let down by that company. 'Cause that's how about 99% of the people posting here feel about AT&T! Gotta love that karma! Now ya know how WE feel!  :)  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

@LoyalCustomer60

AT&T also trusted that its customers going to follow directions, which included factory resetting their phone before sending it in.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.