Need help understanding your bill?
lindros2's profile

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

Thursday, December 14th, 2023 12:59 PM

Closed

AT&T using “fraud” to force $35 activation fee

Add me (existing longtime customer) who attempted to bring a new device (Apple Watch). 

AT&T is illegally charging activation fees on consumer-owned devices, for the purpose of driving fees, using “improved fraud detection” to force people to call in. 

I went through a majority of the Apple Watch activation process on my own.

However, a zero touch / zero fee activation quickly became $35 due to “fraud”. This was a lie (or scam). 

- the Watch / iPhone activation said zero fee

- an email also said zero fee 

but after 45 minutes, an AT&T offshore agent passive aggressively noted that “… only zero of a $35 activation fee will be immediately billed...”

Translation: You will charge me, just not now.

AT&T’s is using illegal, opaque and aggressive tactics against hapless consumers.

$35 [times] millions of customers is significant fraud.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 months ago

Read the FCC website.

AT&T is allowed to add activation fee of $35 for adding a new line to your account. Doesn't matter what the device is or where you purchased it. Not illegal

What would be inappropriate, and still not illegal would be charging you an upgrade fee for a device you entirely own and brought yourself. But that's not what you're claiming

Activation and upgrade fees are not added at the time you order, they are added on your first bill.

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

4 months ago

You have been a member of this forum since June 2012 and do not know by now that valid activation fees are charged anytime you add a line? 

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

4 months ago

I have not been charged an activation fee - on BYO - because I have a signature account (and prior FAN/etc as an ATT partner). 

again - hard evidence from email and device state zero activation. See above (I did not attach the email)

but story changes once I was required to call in. 

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

4 months ago

File a BBB complaint if you feel you’ve been defrauded.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 months ago

BYO phone, and moving the SIM card on an existing line is not the same thing. That would be an "upgrade", not an activation

You arent charged for byop is you move your existing sim 

You added new line of service by adding a smartwatch to your plan.

New line = activation fee

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 months ago

🤦‍♂️

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 months ago

Well that escalated quickly.  

At&t facts are on their website.  The FCC allows the fees.  At&t states it charges $35 activation on the bill (so does Verizon). 

Disseminating facts that you can find on AT&T's website is nothing more and nothing less than disseminating facts that you can find on AT&T's website.  Act like an adult

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.attPhoneFeeSchedule.html

BYOD offer is for voice/phone lines, *not* tablet, watch, hotspot lines, as it states online.  It requires a ported line from the competition.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.