Need help understanding your bill?
G

• 

4 Messages

Monday, December 6th, 2021 4:02 AM

ATT SCAMMERS- CHARGING ME FOR A MONTH AFTER I CANCELLED! CANCEL AND RUN

My first day of the billing cycle is Nov 29th.

I switched to Mint on Nov 28th at 10pm- they processed my cancellation and transfer on Nov 29th at 3am and now they're charging me $73 for NOV 29th- DEC 28th even though my line is cancelled and I have no phone with them. I spoke to a rep and his supervisor and they said they don't prorate cancellation and will CHARGE me for the full month. The funny thing is I used to pay $60 a month for the past 2 years..not only are they charging me, but they're also overcharging me.

I cancelled my plan and switched to MINT mobile the day before the billing period and by the time they processed it was the first hour of my billing period. They refused to refund my bill and are charging me for the full month and more. I'm disgusted.

Backstory:

I switched to Mint on Nov 28th at 10pm- they processed my cancellation and transfered my number on Nov 29th at 3am and now they're charging me $73 for NOV 29th- DEC 28th even though my line is cancelled and I have no phone with them. I spoke to a rep and his supervisor and they said they don't prorate cancellation and will CHARGE me for the full month. They can't and wont do anything for me either..The funny thing is I used to pay $60 a month for the past 2 years..not only are they charging me, but they're also overcharging me about 13$ for no reason and raised my rates for the final bill. So what are they charging me for the month for when I don't even have a line with them...

This is blatant theft and deception. I've been a customer for 13 years now and probably gave them over $10,000 over this period of time the fact that they're charging me for this just reaffirms the level of scammers these guys are. The fact that they are charging me for an hour of useage into my new billing period is outrageous. This is about principal now and I will cancel the rest of my ATT lines.

Greedy pieces of (Edited per community guidelines). I will take this up with my CC company and dispute the charge.

My mom, my brother and my GF used ATT and my business line has over 7 people. All of us will walk. (Edited per community guidelines) you ATT and shame on you.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

The final month of service is not prorated. You are billed for the entire month once you hit the first day of the bill cycle. That is standard with all major carriers. Your new carrier likely does that too. Verizon and T-Mobile definitely do. You shouldn’t have waited until the last day of your bill cycle to port. Porting can take even longer than what you experienced. The recommendation is to port 2-3 days before the end of the bill cycle.

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

2 years ago

You switched at 10pm on the 28th? I would say that was the problem as it was so late it finished processing by the following day, especially if that was with a port-out request for the number. Fair enough doing it on the last day of the cycle, but highly suggested to not do so when it is that late in the day.

Correct that AT&T, like most other carriers, does not prorate the bill when you cancel. This was changing a few years ago and has become the standard. Not a fan of it myself, but it does simply billing for those out there that cannot (or will not) understand prorated billing.

As for the $13 difference, well what do the bills say? Compare that final one to the one before it. Was there additional usage, one-time charges, or perhaps a prior discount completed? There will be detail on what the difference is.

You want to walk, then fine assuming you are the account owner. Call AT&T to cancel what is in your name. Any accounts under someone else's ownership, well they will make their own decision.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

You guys are shills, services not rendered is an offense. The least ATT can do is credit me the $$ for being a loyal customer since they want to charge me for providing me with nothing. I don't care about the "rules" this is about doing the right thing. Hopefully people will google this and see for themselves.

Don't kid me, this is about money nothing else. They don't prorate cancellation hah, so what would you prorate..what a joke. Pure greed.

Glad I left 60$ a month..I just paid 60$ for 6 months.

I'm getting my family off and cancelling my business lines. If ATT runs their show like this they'll have no customers left. They're going to lose over $500 a month now over a one time billing charge. Bravo. Great customer service..

They won't get a dime, over my dead body. This is so wrong.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

2 years ago

Not a shill, simply an experienced customer.

By trying to cancel/port-out the number at the last second, you ran the risk of it not completing in the time you wanted. At 10pm you are essentially after close of the business day.

Terms of Service are you pay for the full service month, regardless of how much you use or what day of it that you stopped using service. Based on how late it was, that indicates the first day of your bill cycle was the official cancellation day.

You may not care about the rules, but that doesn't make you exempt. It has been in the Terms of Service for years. I don't like that part of their billing model, but I understand it is not up to us (the customer) to make the rules. Tell your boss, the cops, other companies that you don't care about the rules and see how far that gets you.

This could have all been avoided if you had not waited until it was so late to where it finished processing by the next day. That is nobody's faut but your own for procrastinating to the last minute. That is the reality of the situation, regardless of if you like it or not.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

2 years ago

Have you read Mints TOS?  ( It's a silly question because no one ever reads anybody's terms of service except for me because I'm picky that way.)

Meant as a 7-Day cancellation policy. After 7 Days any amount of money that you have paid me and is non-refundable. I checked into mints and their service Agreements are for 3 months 6 months or 1 year. So after seven days it's nonrefundable and if you move somewhere Mint is lousy you get nothing back.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

2 years ago

Since Mint mobile is entirely an online service, Mint has information on its port/transfer process. 

If you had taken this into account you would have canceled your service with AT&T by transferring to Mint at least three days before the end of your bill cycle.

Since the process relies on you activating your sim card  number early enough to transfer your number out of another carrier and into mint before a new bill cycle ( because no carrier in the United States prorates their final bill) this oops falls on you. 
Even if you read the information from Verizon or AT&T on transferring in a store they tell you the transfer can take several hours. So transferring your phone number out 2 hours before midnight was cutting it too close, and in fact failed. 
So when did mint send the text message? 
🤔

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

2 years ago

So someone is a "shill" if they point out facts and reference LEGALLY BINDING terms of service?

I don't care about the "rules"

That's a very telling statement.

They won't get a dime

If you are referring to the final bill, bear in mind that it WILL be turned over to a collection agency and it WILL affect your credit for 7 years.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

Giving you factual information does not make anyone a shill. That was an uncalled for rude response. It’s a simple fact that carriers don’t prorate, it’s in the terms of service. I don’t like it either, it’s just the way it is. I really find it humorous you think ATT should credit you for being a loyal customer when you aren’t a customer anymore.

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

2 years ago

Mint discloses can take up to 48 hours (cell phone) to complete porting of number.

OP chooses to port number at 10pm on the last calendar day of service month.

So 2 hours or less of that 48hr window remaining.

Naturally does not complete within same day.

Cancellation is now officially the next service month.

Per Terms of Service the final bill is not prorated.

So @gondy500 accuses us of being shills and says he does not care about rules, all because of their own fault. Sounds like the OP needs to take some accountability in their life. Hopefully that one additional month of service is the only cost of that lesson for them.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

2 years ago

@Juniper

We live in the times of "I want free stuff", anti-capitalist, no consequences, no responsibility Era.  Nothing about it surprises me anymore. 

The OP could have asked about porting out, and all of us "shills" would have advised he port out 2-3 days before the end of his bill cycle to avoid this problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.