Hurry! Find the perfect gift today! Everyone gets our best deals on any smartphone!
Need help understanding your bill?
cnice45's profile

3 Messages

Thursday, August 17th, 2023 3:50 PM

AT&T not honoring $1,000 phone trade-in credit

I recently upgraded my cellphone from a Samsung Galaxy s20 Ultra to a Samsung Galaxy s23 Ultra in February 2023. I used the box and the label AT&T provided. I mailed the phone on Feb 24th and AT&T received the device on Feb 27th, 2023 (according to the tracking number and confirmed with the AT&T rep). However, for some reason a trade-in ticket was not created until April 5th, 2023. Because the April 5th date is outside of the 30 day return window, they are not honoring the trade-in. After spending an hour and a half on the phone with a rep, she said there is nothing they can do. She gave me $130 credit for the market value of the phone. I just sent in a FCC and BBB complaint (saw this suggested on here from a similar post). Anyone have any luck getting this resolved? I did everything right according to their instructions and have been very long time customer. I did the same process a year prior with a different phone and no issues. I called customer service numerous times and created multiple tickets in the past few months. Very frustrating. 

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 months ago

If you sent the old phone back in the box your new phone came in with the enclosed label then you sent it to the wrong place. 

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 months ago

That box was for the buyers remorse to send your new phone back had you not wanted to keep it. That goes back to AT&T not the trade in center. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

113.4K Messages

4 months ago

@cnice45 

I mailed the phone on Feb 24th and AT&T received the device on Feb 27th, 2023 (according to the tracking number and confirmed with the AT&T rep).

I guarantee your phone did not get mailed on February 24th and make it all the way to lavergne Tennessee 3 days later.  It probably would have been delivered to the shipping agent, which is a courier which handles all these expensive little shipping boxes.   

Phone's mailed via the trade in promotion are not sent to AT&T. They go to Assurant Mobile which is a third party business that recycles and refurbishes phones so they don't wind up in a landfill. 

I don't suppose you saved your tracking information?   When you take your package to the post office hand it over the counter and get a counter receipt. The tracking number is then checked into the postal system and that tracking number is your only proof of shipment, and proof that you took part in the trade-in promotion as required.   Taking the extra step of using that tracking number online to show that your phone went from the postal service, to the shipping agent newgistics, and eventually to La Verne Tennessee to Assurant would have been a good idea.

The date of that tracking is all you need to file a better Business bureau complaint and get AT&T to honor the full deal on your new phone. 

Just a tip on those labels if the label does say "return", and says RMA, which stands for 'return merchandise authorization', that is not the right label to participate in a trade-in promotion.   RMA labels go back to AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

26.8K Messages

4 months ago

You’d be surprised at how many customers have reported that a Senior Executive called and got things straightened out.

3 Messages

4 months ago

Interesting. I believe the instructions were to use the same box and put the return label on it, which I did. I did the same process with a different phone a year prior and it worked fine. The return label said Pitney Bowes Returns Parcel Return Service 56901. Was that not the correct place? That could explain things. Thank you.

3 Messages

4 months ago

The AT&T Office of the President contacted me and said they were going to take care of the issue. Thank you all for your help. It appears the BBB complaint did the trick.

9 Messages

4 months ago

Your trouble may not be over, I went through this same dilemma last month,  bought the new S23, and sent the old one in for the monthly credit that was supposed to start in June but never happened.  The first call in June lasted 30 minutes and I was told to wait another month and it should show up since it's a timing issue.  So I waited another month, next bill came still no credits for the phone. Then I called 2 different times and spent several hours on the phone only to be told I didn't turn the old phone in and I was not getting any credit. I hunted the return tracking label down and found it was picked up and returned as required by the promotion.

Very frustrated, I spent time on this forum which resulted in the correct credit being added to my account. I thought it was resolved.  But wait, my August bill just came and the monthly credit for the S23 payment is missing again.   The promotion calls for a monthly credit to offset the monthly charge each month.  Do I have to start the process over every month??    

Not finding what you're looking for?