ATandTis_scamming's profile

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Jul 1, 2022 2:19 AM

AT&T is trying to scam me

My phone got stolen in February and I reported the phone stolen and had the plan canceled due to the hassle of getting another device. In March I called to try to get the number ported over to another carrier. 

Without my permission or awareness the plan was turned back on! I did not realize this until today so I had bills for April, May, and June even though I had already ended the plan!

The customer agent I spoke with today even said normally they don't need to turn the plan back on to transfer a number. She tried to eliminate the bills but her system would not allow her.

I spoke with her manager but he would not remove the bills.

Hopefully this manager, Andrew, will be reprimanded. It's effectively criminal what AT&T is doing to me.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

1 分钟前

Sorry, this happened to you, you should really look at your bills more often.

For future use: When changing/canceling services/plans/devices with any company for internet, cable,  or cellular, you should always check your bill the next few months. 

1. First month: To check that they actually changed to what you want (to make sure no one upsold you, added services, or messed it up by accident).
  2. Second month: To make sure that now that you've had a full month of the new plan that it actually costs what you were told (or to see that they actually canceled).
  3. Check yearly and make sure there aren't better plans / promos to be one.
  4. These are not AT&T specific tips.

FYI - If they had canceled, especially after three months, I'd think you'd have lost your number, so you should be happy you canceled.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

1 分钟前

When a phone is lost or stolen, people don't usually cancel service. Especially not if they owe payments on the phone still. They suspend service so that no one else can use their service, and Blacklist the phone.

My phone got stolen in February and I reported the phone stolen and had the plan canceled due to the hassle of getting another device. In March I called to try to get the number ported over to another carrier. 

These are contradictory statements.  Once canceled, there is nothing to Port.  Your number no longer exists. 

If you did get your account reinstated, and then proceeded to Port your phone number to a different service provider, it is impossible for AT&T to bill you for something that no longer exists because you ported it out to a different service provider. 

So this entire post makes no sense at all. 

Try again. 

• 

5 Messages

1 分钟前

First off i am no cell phone expert.

I already had gotten victimized once with the stolen phone. AT&T has the record of this being reported and then later the plan being canceled (because the cost to get a new device far exceeded what I originally paid for the device). 

The new carrier said I needed to call them about a port number to transfer that number. AT&T gave me a long number to give to the carrier but gave me no indication that they were reactivating the plan.

I DID NOT AGREE TO HAVE THE PLAN REINSTATED AFTER I HAD CANCELED IT!

If I had any indication the plan was reinstalled I would have immediately had it canceled and severed the idea of keeping the same number. The customer service lady I talked to yesterday even said the plan does not need to be turned on to port the number to another carrier.

As far as checking the emails I was in a similar boat to other "former customers" where I was unhappy about using the phone for 1 week of the last bill but then paying for a full month of service. After looking at the constant every 2-3 day emails about (this bill I was unhappy with) it eventually got to the point where I ignored them so I could pay other bills being that I'm poor.. I'm sure I could be dealing with a late fee but that part of the issue is my problem (although AT&T could have better customer service in regards to prorating the last month of service).

Even in the event I was looking at all the emails I still would have not realized I was being charged for a plan that I canceled until I saw I got one month's worth of a very scummy beyond bad business type of charge.

This was a month to month plan for what it's worth.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

1 分钟前

@ATandTis_scamming The new carrier said I needed to call them about a port number to transfer that number. AT&T gave me a long number to give to the carrier but gave me no indication that they were reactivating the plan.

I DID NOT AGREE TO HAVE THE PLAN REINSTATED AFTER I HAD CANCELED IT!

That's the only way to have gotten the number turned back on to port it.

First off i am no cell phone expert.

So you may not have understood that...

Regardless, if they hadn't turned it back on, you wouldn't have been able to port your number out.

That said, if you ported out, I'm confused as to what you still had on the plan for April, May, and June? Did you have a tablet? Another phone? A watch/wearable?

TBC - If you have no lines active, what is it that they are charging you for?

Constructive

Employee

• 

28.6K Messages

1 分钟前

sorry no provider except for google fi prorates the last month even if only 1 day into the billing cycle 

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

1 分钟前

I suspect that the original poster is being charged for the bill that he never paid at the time his phone was stolen.  And a bill for full month after he reactivated his line ( which I suspect was suspended not canceled) . He is being charged for the remaining amount he owed on the phone plus late fees every month.

• 

5 Messages

1 分钟前

No other services, only the phone plan

Formerlyknownas,

I understand I'm responsible for the whole month billing period the phone was physically stolen and the remaining device balance. (Unfortunately AT&T does not prorate)..

But there's no way in (Edited per community guidelines) I'm responsible for a service I had canceled and the phone support person turned the plan back on without telling me on March 24th. 

That's insanity. Most cell phone carriers keep the line unused for 90 days so the user can either renew their plan or transfer the number. 

Additionally the lady who was trying to eliminate those fraudulent bills verified there was no outgoing usage showing that the thief must have removed the Sim card (phone went immediately to voice-mail anytime I called it prior to canceling it)

Furthermore there is not any emails nor any hard copy letters indicating the plan had been reactivated in fact all I have on March 24th is an email saying Autopay had been discontinued and my email was no longer associated with the account.

Additionally so there's no confusion I thought I had canceled the account at the beginning of March (phone stolen end of February), but called March 24th after seeing in my email the bill had not been prorated. The account had been officially canceled on March 24th as per AT&T customer support notes but reinstated that same day without my consent). 

I'll have to see if I can find the proof I called for the account to be canceled in early March. Again to be charged for the April, May, and June billing cycles is fraudulent for AT&T to do.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

1 分钟前

If you canceled in February you would have been billed for the full bill cycle plus the phone. If you reactivated in March you would have been billed for the full bill cycle in March, possibly with a reactivation fee. Did you pay for any of that?  ( remember you said you turned off auto pay) 

If you ported out in March, any bills you received after then were for February and March. The fact that you received them in April and May and June  is probably because you did not pay them because you turned off auto pay in February.

To be clear... when you port your numbers out of any carrier it automatically cancels your service.

Unless you had another phone line you were paying for, AT&T could not possibly bill you for service in April may or June. 

But they can continue to bill you for February and March if you did not pay for it

• 

5 Messages

1 分钟前

All bills paid up prior to March. 

March billing cycle extending into February has not been paid yet due to dissatisfaction over only using the phone for a few days yet having a full month bill.

April, May, and June will not be paid and not only that I will inform all my friends and family about the scam (I know some of them currently have AT&T), and I will get a lawyer to sue them for damages including credit score damages and more.

Constructive

Employee

• 

28.6K Messages

1 分钟前

Your limited to binding arbitration. 

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

1 分钟前

@ATandTis_scamming

And what are they billing you for?

If you refuse to pay a bill that you do owe after they reactivated your phone line in March, then you deserve to get the credit ding.   Your fault.

You agree when you sign up to AT&T's terms of service, which are not different from other service providers which also do not prorate final month's service. 

If AT&T is continually billing you for march, and adding late fees every month for the March bill, just pay it.  You owe it.

If you want to convince us that they're still billing you for actual service charge on the number you ported out in March, for April, May and June you're going to have to post proof.  

• 

5 Messages

1 分钟前

Guess I had gotten the worst customer support guy when I originally posted this.

Turns out today I got the opposite- the entire account balance was eliminated including the three months I was not responsible for as well as the month when the phone got stolen. 

Not sure what the best lesson here is? Perhaps that particular customer support branch should be more reasonable next time in situations where the customer is not a fault. 

Anyways thank you AT&T for taking away the entire bill $$$ :) !

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

1 分钟前

I hope so. 

Make sure to call AT&T to verify if you have a remaining balance in a couple weeks. This wouldn't be the first time a rep gave a customer "good news" because that's more fun that the nasty truth. 

I'm as confused as the others here about what the heck the bill was for to begin with if you had ported your number to a different provider. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.