Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Help for account, billing & more
O

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Mar 27, 2020 8:18 PM

AT&T is double charging me for my iPhone and accusing me of lying to them when I try to fix it

In September 2016 I purchased my iPhone 7 from Apple. I have had the phone line for 10+ years and have the 2016 receipt for purchase of this iPhone. AT&T is claiming they have no record of this. They are instead claiming that I purchased my iPhone and activated my line for the first time at a BestBuy in February 2018. This is factually inaccurate. I have never bought or activated a phone with BestBuy.

I just got off the phone with AT&T and they basically called me a liar, saying they the phone's IMEI clearly shows that I bought the phone from Bestbuy in 2018 even though I've had this phone since 2016 and the number long before that. Like I have toooons of records showing that I've had the number for over a decade, yet AT&T is claiming that I activated it for the first time with BestBuy in 2018. It seems so easy to prove, yet they aren't interested. They've been charging me the full price for a new 2016 iPhone 7 starting February 2018 even though they would have sold for significantly less in 2018. They could make a simple phone call to Apple to verify the purchase.

I honestly do not understand how AT&T's record keeping can be so bad that they can't see that I've had this line for over a decade. They basically told me I'm out of luck and out the $700+ in extra device fees that they've been charging to our family plan. AT&T has effectively robbed me, and are acting like I'm the one trying to scam them. Their records are plain wrong, and they won't look at my Apple receipt which clearly shows that I purchased the phone in 2016.

What recourse do I have?

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

2 y ago

It sounds to me more likely that somebody at Best Buy hacked your account, and purchased a phone on your dime.
So how is it taking you nearly two years to figure this out? Don't you read your bill every month, or at least once every few months to make sure if it's the same amount.

By the way you can contact Apple and get a copy of your original receipt from 2016. If the ime I checks out you could prove to AT&T that you were right.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

I am on a family plan with my parents. They get the bill. I looked at it and saw the billing. AT&T is saying that the phone number was activated for the first time in 2018 which is blatently false. I gave them my own phone's IMEI (purchased from Apple) and they are telling me that I bought it at Bestbuy which is blatently not true. Can a phone's IMEI just be switched like that??

Even if the account was somehow hacked, why would I be liable for a purchase that they allowed, that I didn't make, AND it's the same phone for the same line that I am still using? It doesn't add up and seems more likely that something got screwed up in AT&T's sytem.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.5K Messages

2 y ago

So you’re just now trying to fix 2 years since starting to be charged for the phone? Regardless, your best recourse is to file an FCC or BBB complaint. The complaint will result in someone from corporate contacting you.

• 

3 Messages

The bill gets autopaid and I noticed because I was trying to upgrade and was told I had an existing balance. The time frame shouldn't matter. The fact is AT&T is unethically billing me twice for something, and refuses to accept proof that their system's information incorrect. They're claiming that I didn't have this phone line before 2018 which is so easy to prove false.

I appreciate the advice on the FCC and BBB. Guess I'll try that, as well as be loud on social media until they make it right.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.