Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
Help for account, billing & more
W

• 

4 Messages

Sun, Aug 8, 2021 12:17 AM

AT&T charging waived activation fees

I purchased 2 upgraded phones in Feb direct from AT&T's website and for both, was offered waived activation fees during checkout. AT&T went ahead and charged both activation fees anyways, and none of the paperwork they emailed mentioned that the fees were waived so I had no proof to fight it.

Fast forward to June and I have to buy another phone to add an additional line to my plan. This time I am again offered the waived activation fee and remembering this trick last time, I took multiple screenshots of the screens that showed the activation fee would be waived. Once again they charged me the fee.

I got into online chat with them and asked for a $90 refund to cover the 3 fees I was charged and a promise that they would address this issue for all customers since I'm sure I'm not the only one they have screwed over. Instead they offered me a $30 refund. I told them I would report them to the FTC and FCC and look into whether this would be something a (Edited per community guidelines) attorney would be interested in since it has been going on for at least 4 months and I'm sure they know about the issue and do not fix it. They escalated the issue and moved me from chat to phone and then put me on hold to transfer me to billing to process a refund and after several minutes on hold I got a "beep beep beep, the number you have dialed is no longer in service".

So, sketchy AF billing practice by AT&T, making customers have to notice that they are being charged $30 they weren't supposed to be, and then wasting their customers' time trying to get a refund, and then hanging up on them instead of processing the refund. I am sure they have made millions on this scam. I have filed a complaint with the FTC and FCC as well as my state's AG. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about this practice and to check your bills if you might be in a similar situation. Screenshot below of the promised waived activation fee.

Former Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

10 m مضت

You wasted your time filing with the FTC as they do not govern cellular service. Activation fees are valid charges and will probably not be waived. You should have taken the $30 courtesy credit. You need to read the terms of service you agreed to. No attorney is going to help you.  

ACE - Sage

• 

96.4K Messages

10 m مضت

How is it you were 'offered waived activation fees' online?   

1.   There are no activation fees on existing lines. 

2.   $30 Upgrade fee is standard unless you have a FAN deal through employer that waves it. 

3.  '$0 upgrade fee' when you buy a phone is not waived upgrade fee.  It's billed on the next bill, not charged at time of purchase. If you proceeded with purchase, you agreed to the fee. 

We all hate them.  It's the cost of your $0 interest loan from AT&T, Verizon and t-mo.  If you don't like the fee, buy your devices outright at best buy, or through the manufacturer. 

• 

4 Messages

10 m مضت

@Lockdowncraziness, that is rich for you to tell me I should have read the terms of service, when you could not even read my post or look at my screenshot showing the waived activation fee. Here is another screenshot from another screen during my checkout.

As for their offer of a "courtesy credit", it is not a courtesy to refund an overcharge. And if you actually read my post, you will see that they disconnected me while transferring me to billing to process the refund.

The fact that you are a former employee still trolling the forums to defend their practices is a bit dubious.

(Edit: it says my original post was edited and it no longer has the screenshot. I certainly did not edit it or remove the screenshot).

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

10 m مضت

@lizdance40 upgrade fee, activation fee, whatever you want to call it. Perhaps it is my Signature Program plan that is making me eligible to have these $30 fees waived, but that is what they are offering while I am making the purchase, then they charge it anyways. I just went through the steps to upgrade another line, and it does say the fee will be waived.

ACE - Sage

• 

96.4K Messages

10 m مضت

@woolooloo     your potshot at lock down craziness doesn't make sense. He replied 19 hours ago, your photo was posted 11 hours ago, so 8 hours later.

Check on your signature program. They change.  Business may have renegotiated 

• 

4 Messages

9 m مضت

I had a screenshot on the original post, I even mention it in the last line, and I know I added it. I admit it is not there anymore. As I added on my reply to him, it says my original post was edited but I never edited it, but it appears to have the screenshot removed.

In any case, AT&T received my FTC complaint along with the screenshots and refunded all 3 upgrade/activation fees. What there is no confirmation of is that they will fix this for others that are being affected by it, and it will apparently just continue.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 m مضت

so basically, no way around the $30 bullsh@t fee then, is that what I’m understanding?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.4K Messages

6 m مضت

@hoyas8 Actually there are ways around it, don’t buy from ATT. I bought my last 3 iPhones directly from Apple without SIM cards, no upgrade fee. However, if you want to finance on a Next plan or take advantage of any ATT promotion, no avoiding it.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 m مضت

@sandblaster i bought an iPad Air from the Apple Store, with cell service.  I want to add a new line of service Data Only.   everywhere I look it’s $30 activation and people look at me like I have the plague if I ask if it can be waived.  one time courtesy, it’s not like I do this every 2 months.   

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.4K Messages

6 m مضت

@hoyas8 I was talking about the upgrade fee on an existing line. Sorry, there is no way around the activation fee for a new line I know of. Very few people open new lines every 2 months or even yearly, so that’s not much of an argument. I haven’t opened a new line in the last 10 years.

• 

3 Messages

5 m مضت

AT&T is never transparent on charges. They make false promises. Even their summary is all wrong. They cannot generate the quote with all the credits and have transparency with customer. Looks like somebody should investigate in all these mal practices the company is engaged in.

That is why AT&T is dying. People are switching to Verizon and T-mobile.
The moment customer comes to AT&T he has already planned the EXIT :)

If they become more transparent in their customer summary and provide a perfect quote for billing then i am sure they can survive otherwise it is sinking boat.
Because there are only a set of customers whom you can cheat and once they are gone you are done with it.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

96.4K Messages

5 m مضت

@azizmomin

Even their summary is all wrong.

The summary is always high.  Don't know anyone who is upset when the bill is lower than the summary, and in line with website and quotes.  Assuming they know what the website even says.  

• 

3 Messages

5 m مضت

Why create inaccurate quote and don’t include the credits and then make you sign. The agent says you will receive the credit in one or two billion cycles. That means they don’t want to document the credits in customer summary so that they can get away with.

• 

1 Message

5 m مضت

I have experienced a similar issue as a new AT&T Wireless customer (less than a full month in). They keep charging $30 activation fees on each of my three devices (two smartphones and a Samsung Galaxy 4 watch) each time I work with their store personnel and tech support to correct a NumberSync issue with my wearable.

I came in with my own phones and wearable )the Samsung_), and the store personnel told me that there would be no activation fees for the phones. They gave me a receipt that reflects no such fees (I still have it). Yet the system billed me for three activations when we were working on syncing the wearable with one of the phones.

The store employee said that no activation fees should be applied, and he called AT&T on my behalf to explain the situation. The phone agent said I would see the refund in the next billing cycle.

On Dec 24, I again experienced a NumberSync issue with the wearable and my primary phone. I went to an AT&T store to troubleshoot this with a clerk there. We basically uninstalled the Galaxy wearable software on my phone and then went thru the NumberSyc process again. Thankfully this worked. The next day, I checked online to view my bill, and again saw the application of three activation fees!

In summary, AT&T Wireless has inappropriately applied activation fees twice now with done this twice now! I have contacted the FCC on this and am hoping for a response after the holidays. 

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

96.4K Messages

5 m مضت

@shutterhound

If the retailer activated a new line to set up the watch, it automatically charges for the line and activation fee (totally valid charge) .  Why they couldn't get it working on the existing line would be the question. Oh, yeah, they beef up their stats when they add new lines. 🤔. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.