For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bowden143's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, January 31st, 2015 4:48 PM

ATT CHARGED ME FOR A PHONE I RETURNED...

HELLO,( PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME)

I WAS A AT&T  CUSTOMER WITH HOME SERVICES FOR OVER 6 YEARS. SO AROUND JUNE 2014 I DECIDED TO START CELLUAR SERVICES WITH AT&T. I WENT ONLINE AND ORDERED A SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE WENT THROUGH ALL THE STEPS (ANYWAYS LONG STORY SHORT) AFTER 3 TRIES AND GETTING ERROR CODES, I CALLED IN AND TALKED TO A REP. THEY AGAIN PULLED MY CREDIT(3RD TIME) SAID I WAS APPROVED FOR UP TO 3 LINES. I WANTED THE S4 ACTIVE  THEY DIDN'T HAVE ONE SO THE REP TALKED ME INTO AN LG OPTIMUS PRO G. I REC. THE PHONE A WEEK LATER DIDN'T LIKE THE PHONE. SO MY WIFE CALLED IN TALKED TO A REP SHE SAID NO PROBLEM WE COULD SWAP OUT. SHE FOUND A S4 ACTIVE BUT IT REQUIRED 49.99 DOWN AND WHEN MY WIFE TOLD ME THAT I SAID JUST CANCEL THE SERVICE BECAUSE IT'S BEEN A HEADACHE SINCE I STARTED IT. THE ATT REP SAID NO NO NO PLEASE DON'T! SHE TALKED TO HER BOSS AND THEY WAVED THE FEE. I THANKED THEM THEY SENT THE PHONE WITH A RETURN LABEL IN THE BOX. WE REC. IT A WEEK LATER LOVED THE S4 ACTIVE AND WE RETURNED THE LG PHONE AS INSTRUCTED AN EVEN PAID EXTRA TO GET SIGNATURE CONFORMATION (AS INSTRUCTED BY THE AT&T  REP BECAUSE SHE SAID THEY LOOSE PHONES ALL THE TIME). SO A MONTH OR SO WENT BY WE NEVER THOUGHT NO MORE ABOUT IT THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN I AM GOING OVER MY CELL BILL AND SEE A CHARGE FOR AROUND 400.00 I FREAKED! FROM THIS POINT ON IT'S BEEN A NIGHTMARE. MY WIFE HAS TALKED TO SEVERAL DIFFERENT REPS. WE HAD MISPLACED THE RECEIPT WITH THE TRACKING# BECAUSE I THOUGHT THEY HAD IT. SO I ASKED AND THEY AGREED I WOULD NOT PAY MY BILL TILL THEY INVESTIGATED THIS AND "TRIED TO FIND" THE PHONE IN THEIR WAREHOUSE.IN THE MEANTIME WE TALKED TO SEVERAL DIFFERENT REPS IN MANY DIFFERENT DEPARTMENTS. THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN MY CELL SERVICE WAS TERMINATED AND I WAS CHARGED FOR THE "LOST PHONE" AND FOR BREAKING THE CONTRACTING IT WAS SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS. IT WAS REPORTED TO MY CREDIT BUREAU (ANOTHER NIGHTMARE). THEN YESTERDAY I CAME ACROSS THE RECEIPT WITH THE TRACKING # (THANK GOD) I CAME IN LOOKED UP THE TRACKING # TO FIND OUT THAT THEY SIGNED FOR IT TWO DAYS AFTER I MAILED IT. SO AT&T HAD THE PHONE THE WHOLE TIME. NOW I AM AT A CROSSROAD AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. DO I GET AN ATTORNEY INVOLVED FIRST BECAUSE I NO LONGER TRUST TO HAVE MY BEST INTEREST AT HEART. PLEASE HELP SOMEONE? INFORM ME ON A ROUTE TO TAKE AND WHAT I SHOULD EXPECT FROM AT&T TO MAKE THIS RIGHT. I THANK YOU ALL FOR LISTENING AND GOD BLESS ...WILLIAM

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Wint0217 wrote:
I traded my phone in at the store and they ensured me that they would take care of the trade in then two weeks later I begin to get alerts saying I have one month to return the phone.

Did they give you a receipt when you dropped it off?

I plan on leaving At&T and going to Sprint. I have been told that Sprint is better at dealing with internal problems quickly.

Who told you that?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I returned a phone at AT&T store in cedar park, tx and had to go through 2 hours of waiting due to "system error". After all that pain, still my account shows that my contract expiry of 2019. I tried to call customer service and not much help. Very poor service and regret to be customer with AT&T for so many years.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Nalini

If you returned a phone, you should have a receipt for return.   Computers make mistakes and people compound them.  Look for the receipt.  Go to the store and see if they can reprint the receipt.  You need proof of return.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Problem was solved a month ago, and I wasn't given a receipt. The store messed up my trade in paperwork. Anyway, the charge removed off my bill.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

We are going through this same issue now. They clearly do not understand that there was a system error or error in their warehouse or with shipping. I am constantly passed on to different people or discconected when trying to resolve this. Now they are saying they are looking for the phone in the warehouse and will call me back in a few days.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@YeahJust wrote:

We are going through this same issue now. They clearly do not understand that there was a system error or error in their warehouse or with shipping. I am constantly passed on to different people or discconected when trying to resolve this. Now they are saying they are looking for the phone in the warehouse and will call me back in a few days.

It's not that they don't understand, but that understanding isn't enough to do anything, at least for the people you can contact. 

File a complaint with the BBB and the issue will get escalated to someone who can help. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I've been going through this nightmare with ATT for almost a long time. I switched to ATT from Sprint, thinking it would be cheaper. Got the first bill, and the charge was $150 more than what was quoted to me. I switched back to Sprint, returned the phones to an ATT store, and then ATT said I didn't return the phones. There is no record of me returning the phones. No one seems to be able to help me. 

What can be done?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

You have to file a claim with them and have them check if the logistics company lost the package. If you use the tracking number in newgistics site it will probably say it is somewhere else. This happens a lot with att. They cannot keep track of their packages and then make the customer pay for it. It took me almost two months to resolve my issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have a similar issue, and I have lost all faith and trust in ATT. I did a trade-in with a cross-line upgrade in a Corporate ATT store. They took the phone that had been on the line that the upgrade was transferred from, an iphone 6. my old phone, an 8 Plus became that line's phone, and I upgraded to a new Galaxy 10. I did not worry when I got the first message that my phone had not been received yet, but then came a second message that I was going to be charged over $600 on my next bill because they had not received the trade-in phone in the alotted time. When I called, I got lots of runaround and basically a sorry, that is the contract condition. When I went to another store close to me, they tried to help, but when they put me on the line with ATT, they basically told me there was no way to stop the fee from being charged to me, and that I could go to the store and try to find out what happened to the phone. Wait, WHAT? I left that phone in the care of an actual ATT store. They got the store on the line at this point, and said they were opening an investigation, and they would review security footage. I am so angry right now, I admit it, because the girl who helped me that day actually got on the phone and told them that she remembered me, but that I did not leave the phone. So now I am lying for some reason? I have been a customer for 10 years, and they are willing to lose me over a lousy iphone 6, and apparently they would rather take the word of a brand new employee (she told me it was her first day of work there when I went in) over mine - and what reason do I have to lie? I can't use the phone, and surely it is locked. Do they think I want to make some money on a black market iPhone 6 perhaps? They said that the manager there is "on top" of the returns, so maybe the carrier lost it. Fine, look into it, but handle all that internally and remove the possibility at all that I will be charged - but they would not commit to that - they need to conduct their investigation first, and "don't worry" they say, Yeah right, easy for them to say when I have to spend hours of my time on this. I wish I could charge them for my time. I will be switching from ATT just as soon as economically feasible. The presumption of guilt is on the customer so beware when dealing with the store on your exchange. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 years ago

“Cross upgrade”?   And how was that done?  I guarantee the $600 charge is for not returning the iPhone 8.  You certainly didn’t owe $600 on the iPhone 6.  

Without contracts, they don’t do cross upgrades anymore.  If you were wanting a new phone for line A, but line B was the eligible line, you had to upgrade line B. Then when you get the phone, you install SIM card from the old phone you traded in.    

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.