Need help understanding your bill?
gnarkill283's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, September 11th, 2017 8:56 PM

AT&T charged me $128 for 65min of wifi calling while abroad...

So I came back from a vacation in Croatia and discovered I was charged $128 for 65min worth of wifi calling. I used wifi calling for the first time abroad thinking I could finally make free calls as long as I was hooked up to someone else's internet. Well it turns out not to be the case. I noticed some other wifi calls I made didn't get charged. So is wifi calling free or not? And if not, when will I be charged for wifi calling? Can't seem to find a definite answer on this anywhere.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

It is free depending on who you call. Calls to other US numbers are definitely free but if you called any local Croatian numbers, you were charged international long distance. There is also the possibility you were not on wifi calling. Just being connected to wifi is not enough. You must also see "AT&T Wifi" on your phone's display, indicating that you are connected to ATT's cellular network. If you don't see that, any calls would be through a local carrier and subject to international roaming rates. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Can’t stress enough, put your phone in airplane mode and leave it on.  You can turn WiFi and Bluetooth back on without leaving airplane mode.  

Airplane mode disables all;  cellular, WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth 

@juliemrn

Most ship WiFi is pay to use.  Some by day, some by minute.  In your case, you weren’t connected.  Disabling roaming data worked, but you need to disable all cellular by using airplane mode.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Under my bill it says WIFI under rate code. Calls to the US appear to be free. Calls anywhere else (Germany, UK, Croatia, Hungary) were charged. It just doesn't make sense to me how I'm charged for making a wifi call through someone else's paid for internet. I had to make those calls because british airlines canceled my return flight with less than 24 hour notice and they didn't even provide a working phone number to reach them from Croatia let alone a toll free one...

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Welp not only is wifi calling not free if you call certain countries from certain countries like croatia to uk, france, germany, but also while I was just in france, wifi calling wouldn't work mysteriously for the whole week I was there. ATT is quite the scam...

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@gnarkill283  

Did you have Wifi calling enabled on your device before leaving the USA?  

You must have a Wifi calling capable device with Wifi calling enabled on your account and phone.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Huh? Why would I need to have wifi calling on before leaving the US? I didn't 6 months ago when I was in Croatia and wifi calling worked fine. By all means though dig deeper to find somehow to blame me for this suspicious behavior.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@gnarkill283 wrote:

Huh? Why would I need to have wifi calling on before leaving the US? I didn't 6 months ago when I was in Croatia and wifi calling worked fine. By all means though dig deeper to find somehow to blame me for this suspicious behavior.

As noted above, WiFi calling to US numbers is free. WiFi calling international numbers is not. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@gnarkill283 wrote:

Wifi calling is a carrier enabled feature.  If it is not on while you are connected to ATT it will not be able to work when in another country.  If, since your last trip, you got a new phone, or turned the feature off, or changed to a prepaid plan, it would not be available to you.  Doesn’t make it a scam.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Then explain to me how it worked in Croatia? And whats the point of it if everyone is on data plans with free calling? Do I need to screenshot my bill showing the wifi calling from Croatia?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@gnarkill283

...... Makes me think you didnt read read my last post.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.