Need help understanding your bill?
gnarkill283's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, September 11th, 2017 8:56 PM

AT&T charged me $128 for 65min of wifi calling while abroad...

So I came back from a vacation in Croatia and discovered I was charged $128 for 65min worth of wifi calling. I used wifi calling for the first time abroad thinking I could finally make free calls as long as I was hooked up to someone else's internet. Well it turns out not to be the case. I noticed some other wifi calls I made didn't get charged. So is wifi calling free or not? And if not, when will I be charged for wifi calling? Can't seem to find a definite answer on this anywhere.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@gnarkill283 wrote:

Then explain to me how it worked in Croatia? And whats the point of it if everyone is on data plans with free calling? Do I need to screenshot my bill showing the wifi calling from Croatia?

When you are on WiFi calling, you are connected to ATT’s network back here in a the US through WiFi instead of through a cell tower. Bottom line is all calls are the same as if your phone was back in the US, hence a call to Croatia or any of their non US number is international long distance.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Stop trolling me please. I have the same phone. I went to Croatia 6 months ago and turned on airplane mode then turned on wifi and wifi calling while I was there (NOT BEFORE IN THE US). I was able to call and text the US and toll free numbers for free while I was charged for calling anywhere in europe (even airline company phone numbers when my airline canceled my flight on me the day before I was supposed to leave):

qwer.JPGqwert.JPG

If you have to be on the ATT network to do wifi calling then why would anyone use wifi calling... The whole point is to use it when there's no service.

2 Attachments

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@gnarkill283  Please re read the previous posts.  Everything is exactly as @sandblaster said.  You were charged for calls to European numbers, not US numbers. 

If wifi calling was subsequently turned off after that trip, and you left the US without it enabled, of course it didn’t work.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Sandblaster is incorrect. I DIDNT HAVE TO BE ON ATT TO USE WIFI CALLING IN CROTIA. WHAT DONT YOU UNDERSTAND??? And what does this even mean: "If wifi calling was subsequently turned off after that trip, and you left the US without it enabled, of course it didn’t work" ????? 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@gnarkill283 wrote:

Stop trolling me please. I have the same phone. I went to Croatia 6 months ago and turned on airplane mode then turned on wifi and wifi calling while I was there (NOT BEFORE IN THE US). I was able to call and text the US and toll free numbers for free while I was charged for calling anywhere in europe (even airline company phone numbers when my airline canceled my flight on me the day before I was supposed to leave):

qwer.JPGqwert.JPG

If you have to be on the ATT network to do wifi calling then why would anyone use wifi calling... The whole point is to use it when there's no service.

You don't "have to be on the ATT network."

When you use WiFi calling you are USING the AT&T network. Hence, the same pricing applies no matter where you are located.

If you are in Chicago calling Croatia, you are billed for an international call. If you are in Zagreb calling elsewhere in Croatia, you are billed for an international call. 

If you are in Chicago calling Chicago, you are not billed. If you are in Zagreb calling Chicago, you are not billed. 

2 Attachments

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@gnarkill283   In post 4 you wrote “.... but also while I was just in france, wifi calling wouldn't work mysteriously for the whole week I was there. ...”.  

My response “Wifi calling had to be enabled before you left the USA in order for it to work in France.   If it were disabled before you reached France, it would (of course) not work”. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@gnarkill283 Sorry I can’t convince you but I guarantee you I am right. You don’t seem to understand WiFi calling, there is probably nothing anyone can say to convince you. No one is trolling you, we are all giving you the honest truth. Why you wont believe it, I don’t understand.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

ATT Wifi calling allows you to connect to the ATT network with Wifi when no cellular signal is available.

There are no added charges when calling US numbers unless you have a limited calling plan and exceed your minutes.  Charges to numbers outside the US will be billed at international rates.  

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/wifi-calling.html?source=IC2Y0H0000000000L&wtExtndSource=wifi-calling

C0EC662D-A537-4D15-BF70-B918087CFC49.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 years ago

I don’t know too much about how this AT&T WiFi calling works.

But I can tell you,some numbers in United Kingdom are not free calls!

Landline numbers in UK are mostly free calls,but most mobile numbers are not.

The caller need to pay per minute rate for the call.

Most 0800 numbers are free calls,but some 0900 numbers are premium rate numbers,caller will need to pay per minute,and it could be as high as GBP 10 a minute (Appx.US$ 14) a minute.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Somebody here is not correct. My daughter visits a friend in Bermuda, periodically. Every, single time she’s gone before...and called the USA...she’s was never charged for WiFi calling. This last month she did everything the same as always, but she got charged 60.+ $’s. WHY???? She made sure she was connected to her friend’s WiFi network every time she called the USA. She made sure WiFi calling was on. Why was she charged. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.